TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Why all the negativity?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't get all the negativity in current threads. You'd think we'd crashed out with no future.
Since the Cowley's have taken over we've had 4 good results and play much more entertaining football. Last two results have been disappointing but give them time for heavens sake. As for all the nonsense along the lines of "they are all feckin' useless", remember that at Christmas we were top of the league, had gone through a record patch of consecutive wins, and a record patch of clean sheets. OK the football was boring beyond belief but my point is you don't get all of that with a "feckin' useless" squad. We have a basically good team/squad who are now taking time to get used to a new managerial style. Marquis hasn't just become a useless player (though he didn't exactly excel last night for sure), he's got a proven track record and even this season has scored goals. Frankly even if we don't make the playoffs I still like the style of football, and we definitely have the nucleus of a good squad, (yes even if we do go up). On top of all that we have owners who are doing exactly what they said they would do - invest in the infrastructure, build from the bottom-up, and support the team. My biggest dilemma is Naylor. Up until the last few weeks he was my MoTS, but he's struggles in recent weeks and yesterday his passing was awful. He's played every match, so maybe he needs a rest. Oh yeah, before anyone says "you can't have been watching the games", I've watched every match this season, League, FA Cup and Pizza Pot.
So please explain to me where I am looking with rose tinted glasses?? Or agree with my thinking??
I think we are somewhere in the middle of the two extremes, probably why we are now in the play offs which feels about right to me over a whole season. Someone else posted we had an awful start to the season a very good middle and have now fallen back to our true level.
I'm happy with the owners but started supporting pompey when we were falling down through the leagues to eventually be bottom of the old 4th division. So unlike some who think we belong in the top flight, my memory is of a club that has mostly been struggling in the 2nd tier or top end of the 3rd.
I just do not want us to go bust yet again (has any other club been threatened with going out of business as often as pompey down the years?) So am in no hurry to arrive in the champ and become another financial basket case of a mid sized club gambling our future on the prem pot of gold.
Good post Hammie, and just as you've said I agree we are probably a Championship side, not a Prem side. We had one "interesting" year under Bally in the pre-Prem, and of course the 7 (8?) years under Harry et al, but if we are honest we only got there because of Milan's millions and stayed up as long as we did because Harry knew how to get good players in and how to man-manage them, and because of the incredible FP support. If anyone has seen Kev the Kit man's video, it's a good insight into the club, and he readily agrees we're a natural Championship side.

Having said all that, I do think we'll make the playoffs, will will need to rotate the squad and if we can get enough points before the last 1 or 2 games then rest a few for the playoffs.
I remember that interesting year. Playing well, not scoring then losing 2:0. Still wonder what might have been if we had not sold the captain as we were just getting the hang of it. Younger fans won't realise how little financial difference getting promoted made in those days, apart from higher wages to pay.
It's less negativity and more frustration about what should have been. Yes we are league one and will never have players like Toney but when given guilt edged opportunities to score the ball should be in the back of the net at any level. Otherwise you're playing at too high a level. So frustrating.
The performance of our club over the last 4 years has been nothing short of pathetic. We are POMPEY and used to give anyone in the nation a decent game.

It’s sad to hear that we have been shit for so long that the new generation of Pompey fans are content with L1 playoff football.

It’s a fooking joke watching us most games (prior to the management change).

I know you didn’t intend it with your post, Hammie but your post really depressed me. Makes me think we’re losing our identity.
I know you didn’t intend it with your post, Hammie but your post really depressed me. Makes me think we’re losing our identity.
trouble is the identity of Pompey varies so much as to when you first started going. We've been up and down the leagues more than any other club. Gone bust more than any other too.
My earliest memory of Pompey fans is seeing them traipsing home across Milton Park, all looking completely pissed off on yet another grey rainy winter afternoon. That would be around 1975/6 when we were a very very poor 2nd tier team.
So any advance on that and not going bust is a good thing.
I knew all the stats off by heart through reading the results etc in the Sunday paper and Sports Mail. My subbuteo team was Pompey through and through so I even supported Raith Rovers for a while too.
Identity wise. Sing the bloody Chimes and "We are the Fratton End" That's the identity I know and love! Regardless of the team, result or performance!
I think the negativity comes from our poor performances in the past 3 games and now losing again to a team with nothing to play for. I'm honestly struggling at the moment to see what the Cowleys have added to our play other than running around more.
I'm pretty sure that have not told the players to go long ball from the back. I'd have my hard hat on going into the changing room, there should be some harsh words and a sub or two.
There certainly should.
(17-04-2021, 12:21 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]There certainly should.

Stanley
These players are shit. I can't even see us scoring another goal this season. Utterly pathetic display again. Worrying really.

I wonder if they're taking anything onboard from the Cowleys, because it doesn't seem so.
Stanley, byers, Close...try anything now. Raggett up front and the Dane at the back....
I don't think we need to be negative or positive now.. just realistic. A poor first half against MK followed by a terrible, aimless 2nd half (with 12 mins to play). This follows 2 dreadful previous performances. The future is bleak until we can build a completely new team.
Whatmough....stupid prick.
indeed
So angry with the players. They're a disgrace to the shirt and then club. Very lucky for them there are no fans, they'd be lynched otherwise.

Get rid of them all.
They are a disgrace, have to agree. Glad that today they were a disgrace to the stupid orange shirts and not the Pompey blue!