TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Youth clear out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What the fuck is happening . Caitlin’s decided to have a massive clear out of loads of our promising youth players , hope this don’t back fire on us like it has for years 
Also hearing the legend is surplus to requirements
perhaps the management has had a look at them and decided they are not good enoguh? Seems odd as a few of them were attracting attention.
I suppose we might go down the route of grabbing other youth scheme's rejects (Chelsea et al) at an older age? Some clubs have had major success doing that?
I thought Michael Eisner's view was that he did not want to pay inflated prices for players, instead bring them through the youth ranks, getting them for free. If they are outstanding Pompey born and bred players (Like Mason Mount) then we could sell to make some money.
Scrapping the youth system seems bonkers, unless they players we have are not very good. (like the first team).
Apart from Mnonga none of them have been near the first team - so obviously none of them were good enough.
Alfie?
(17-04-2021, 02:15 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Alfie?

Depending which source, either he's not being offered a new deal or he is but only to be loaned out for a season. If our youth system is disintegrating along with the first team I'm not sure where we are heading.
The news did a decent article on this. Supposedly we turned down 6 figures for one of the players we’re letting go for nothing.. am I missing something here?
Just read it. No, I think you're missing nothing. Seems like another error of judgement in a very long line. Of course players can show promise at 17 and it never happens for them and I have no knowledge whatsoever about any of the players we are releasing. A year ago I thought the club was upwardly mobile but right now I'm not sure. Stagnating or getting in a mess.
I think its our system that's wrong not the youth players.IMO the problem is not having an U23 team/set up for the older youth players and first team fringe players to improve or play regular games. The likes of Rew, Taggert, Stanley could have improved in this situation and perhaps in a season or 2 been ready for the first team.
I believe that pompey were intending to launch the u23 team very soon but Covid finances has caused plans to be delayed.
(17-04-2021, 02:18 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-04-2021, 02:15 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Alfie?

Depending which source, either he's not being offered a new deal or he is but only to be loaned out for a season. If our youth system is disintegrating along with the first team I'm not sure where we are heading.

Alfie's trial at Burnley didn't lead to a contract but he signed for Dorchester and scored a hat trick in a 3.2 win at Tiverton Town tonight. His 3rd was an outrageous lob from 50 yards. Good luck to him.
(13-10-2021, 09:54 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Alfie's trial at Burnley didn't lead to a contract but he signed for Dorchester and scored a hat trick in a 3.2 win at Tiverton Town tonight. His 3rd was an outrageous lob from 50 yards. Good luck to him.

It seems PFC was right not offering him a contract then, Dorchester Town doesn't even play National League South.

Apparently, he has failed to score in 3 matches, then scored a penalty, a free-kick & a half-decent lob.

A similar stature player to Conor Chaplin but certainly won't go as far as he has.

Notice all the other yoof players that we let go in the summer havn't done too much have they?
Taggert has just signed for Portadown in the N.Irish premier league ( about Conference/National league status)
Stanley turned down a contract. Like many he and his agent probably priced him at pre Covid levels which have plummeted as cubs try and survive financially.
Hit a hat trick in 21 mins last night.

That's three more goals than Hirst has ever scored in a competitive game of professional football.
(18-04-2021, 07:27 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I think its our system that's wrong not the youth players.IMO the problem is not having an U23 team/set up for the older youth players and first team fringe players to improve or play regular games. The likes of Rew, Taggert, Stanley could have improved in this situation and perhaps in a season or 2 been ready for the first team.

I agree with that and is it not why basically Mark Kelly left ?
(14-10-2021, 05:29 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Hit a hat trick in 21 mins last night.

That's three more goals than Hirst has ever scored in a competitive game of professional football.

Southern League Premier Division South is hardly "professional football l" - more like part-time amateurs.

However I do agree about Hirst that he isn't very good, he is one of these modern players hanging on the coat tails of their father (a proper striker)who had better than a one in three strike rate.