TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Start afresh in the summer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Get rid of most of the squad and start again. New manager too.
I'm with you on that I think. Hard to judge the cowleys with this bunch of non-players but we certainly are no better now than we were before they arrived. Total rebuild in the summer.
you can improve things short term but long term good managers tend to ahve good players.
True enough, but I am surprised they haven't managed to get anything out of Curtis.

Deebo

Curtis is a fancy Dan who decides to turn up maybe one match in four. The rest of the time he is a liability. A little bit of success seems to have gone to his head. I would have no problem with him going in the summer.
For sure he fancies himself and he needs a new challenge. We need so many new players it will be hard to manage a complete overhaul but I'm not sure there's anyone I'm bothered about losing except McG and surely he will leave anyway. Johnson has been steady and honest, Naylor does what he does, Brown is a gritty pro, others have had the odd game but essentially they can all go.
Following players are not good enough:

Marquis - uncoachable
Curtis - ditto and his sulking is bad for the team
Harrisson - whoever signed off swapping Chaplin for harrisson? Needs his head examining for absence of a brain.
Bolton - at least he knows his limitations but isn’t good enough.
Downing - No explanation needed
Raggett - can be coached and has improved but not enough
Morris - basically gone already

I also think Naylor is off in the summer if you read his comments. I’ve said previously that we need to keep him but I’ve changed my mind. Good riddance.

With loans going back we need a minimum of:
2CB’s
1 LB
2 center midfielders
1 left winger
3 strikers

Ideally we’d get in 2LB’s and 1RB and hope to hell we keep MacGillivray.

So a LOT to be getting on with...
Yes that seems to be about right and essentially is a complete new team. Interesting summer ahead... alternatively if in August we have much the same eleven then I think it's time to give up!
Please someone tell me Harness and Williams contracts are up this season. One good game in 20 is not good enough.
Whoever the new manager is in the summer, he needs to be given a couple of years to get rid of this complete shower of shite and get a new squad together. One question - why didn’t Jackett sign many black players? The percentages don’t add up - we’re a very white squad. Need a recruitment overhaul.
if we do build a new team, I hope the fans are prepared to give them time to "gel"
Although having said that, the championship winning sides I have seen looked outstanding from the first game they played together. (Bobby Campbell, Alan Ball, Harry.. all their teams were at it from game one)
Looking at squad building over the last few years. You have got to ask how we have accumulated such a huge group of fucking shit players! But is it just us or is the general standard of professional football at this level universally poor? Technically most are useless, they can run around a bit but other than that are piss poor footballers. If the asnswer is that most at this level are as dogsheite as the ones that we have, how do we progress without heavy investment on players. Heavy investment that we all know will not happen.
Sadly, because we have had to endure the last 3 years the fans’ appetite for giving a new team time to gel will be sorely tested. I suspect we will be wanting top 2 next season. On a different note if we could only choose one result this weekend would it have been a Pompey win or a Leicester win?
Please someone tell me Harness and Williams contracts are up this season. One good game in 20 is not good enough.
(17-04-2021, 05:01 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]Please someone tell me Harness and Williams contracts are up this season. One good game in 20 is not good enough.

We had a team under Cook that in my opinion with a couple of additions would have got us into the championship . Then under Jackett we have bought consistently crap additions every season  and are left with this current crop of under achievers . IF the cowleys stay they got a massive job on their hands I reckon
Made even harder by oxford coming from 2 down to win. Down to 7th we go and 8th if Charlton win game in hand. Pretty much back to where we were pre Crowley sadly.
I know it was a different era and a different leauge, but Harry came in towards the end of the season, just enough to make sure we were not relegated.
He got rid of 90% of the squad the following season, keeping players he knew were good enough (Toddy and Linvoy for example) Following season we stormed the league and got promoted.
So it can be done. I hope the Cowleys are allowed to do the same.
BTW, Jose Mourinho is available. Tongue 
PUP
As i understand it we have six senior players out of contract in the summer i.e. McGillivray, Naylor, Whatmough, Williams, Cannon and Close.
So that gives us the chance to move out Naylor, Whatmough, Williams and Cannon for a start. I can see McGillivray and Close being retained. Whatmough is a difficult choice and might be unpopular particularly as he might find it difficult to find another club with his injury history and recent disciplinary problems.
Presumably Nicolaisen is coming to the end of his loan spell so he could be released but Downing and Bolton are still under contract. Daniels and Hiwula's short term contracts need not be renewed.