TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Do Pompey give The Cowleys a 3 year contract ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Interesting to know what our owners are thinking, after a bright start Pompey have slumped into a sort of awful predictability, dire defending, hopeless striking, everything wrong in football.

Our owners will have to decide is it a basically poor bunch of players trying to come to terms with a system they are unable to understand let alone carry out or is the Cowley method more like smoke and mirrors than truly the  way ahead.

Huge decision for a bunch with little comprehension of what is required to take Pompey forward, who will they turn to for advice ? How do they apply checks and balances to the advice they get (they did after all appoint Jackett and look how that worked out).

Awesome decision on which the future progress of our club depends, we can only hope they get it right !
Cowley seems really deflated in the post match interview and analysis. They might not want to stay.
It would appear that Catlin had an experienced manager, still with a club, lined up to take over in the summer, before appointing the Cowleys for a short term fix. Although admittedly, the Cowleys have had to work with a really poor squad, their words have been louder than their actions and I’m not convinced they’re strong enough to lead this club. So if the manager in waiting is someone who has succeeded at this level before plays football the Pompey way, we maybe shouldn’t be making another Andy Awford appointment. Just saying
The Crowley’s are probably thinking “what the fook have we walked into” unless they are able to ship out the random collection of donkeys we have acquired over the last few years and replace them. Then, they would be mad to hang around.
Just watched Danny Cowleys post MK Dons interview, gone is the optimism of previous interviews replaced by the first indication that an awful realism is beginning to dawn on him and his brother....’ for the first time I saw things I didn’t like’.

I imagine the team will be left in no doubt about his feeling about individual and collective performance on Monday morning although, to be fair, he did take the greater share of the responsibility for Saturday’s shambolic performance.

Interesting that Catlin had somebody else lined up for KJs job, who could it be ? Why didn’t he follow through ? Is it another Jackett (destined to fail) or has Catlin learned from experience ? What role will the proposed Sporting Director have in the Cowley decision ?

The implosion of Pompey in the last few games won’t in all honesty have surprised the older fans amongst us, Pompey have had an almost unique ability to snatch failure from the jaws of success for most of the last 70 years, this is just another one for the scrapbook.
It is worrying when, in the space of two weeks, Cowley's confident bravado has been replaced by uneasy bafflement.
We have the two bottom clubs next. It would be difficult to justify keeping this management team on if we fail to secure the play-offs from this position.
Whether it’s the Cowleys or not, and I think they have the credentials to be a successful management partnership whether that’s at Pompey or elsewhere, the key to any appointment is that the appointee(s) are given the tools to work with. That will inevitably mean a restructuring of the current squad a proportion of which has clearly passed its ‘best by’ date. Pompey need some real quality in their squad and that will cost money. So now we look to the Club’s owners for their reaction to this blatantly obvious need if Pompey are going to progress and break through this constantly recurring barrier of flattering only to deceive season after season.
The Cowley’s have impressed me from the start and I’d give them the chance to build their own team.

They didn’t inherit an embarrassment of riches did they?

I must admit Danny Cowley sounded a bit downbeat yesterday, but who wouldn’t after an insipid performance like that?

I’m sure the enthusiasm and confidence will be rekindled when they get back on the training pitch.

All is not lost, yet.  Smile
Gaffer, lets just hope that if they are in charge next year that they get the owners proper backing to start a proper rebuild job.
(18-04-2021, 11:19 AM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]Gaffer, lets just hope that if they are in charge next year that they get the owners proper backing to start a proper rebuild job.

Dead right Smirns.

If they are going to appoint the Cowleys, they need to give them the tools to do the job.

There would be no point giving them the job otherwise.

It will be interesting to see what they do, it will be a good indicator of how committed they are.
If we assume it’s The Cowleys, what player/ wages budgets will they minimally need to recruit a team capable of challenging for L1 promotion via attractive football (plus whatever they can raise in player sales) ?

I heard Danny and Nicky claiming they had good football contacts which might help recruitment but there will none the less be a need for a substantial budget to work with.

I’m going to guess that £3-5 Million will be required as a minimum plus unloading players for whom a fee might be achieved (Marquis, Harrison, Curtis). Even if the Owners will provide that sort of money, how will the increased wages be accommodated within their ‘We only eat what we kill’ philosophy ?

Clearly there are dozens of unemployed managers who would accept a minuscule budget just to get a job, whether The Cowleys or, say, JFH would sign on unless they had a workable budget must be doubtful.
(18-04-2021, 01:50 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]If we assume it’s The Cowleys, what player/ wages budgets will they minimally need to recruit a team capable of challenging for L1 promotion via attractive football (plus whatever they can raise in player sales) ?

I heard Danny and Nicky claiming they had good football contacts which might help recruitment but there will none the less be a need for a substantial budget to work with.

I’m going to guess that £3-5 Million will be required as a minimum plus unloading players for whom a fee might be achieved (Marquis, Harrison, Curtis). Even if the Owners will provide that sort of money, how will the increased wages be accommodated within their ‘We only eat what we kill’ philosophy ?

Clearly there are dozens of unemployed managers who would accept a minuscule budget just to get a job, whether The Cowleys or, say, JFH would sign on unless they had a workable budget must be doubtful.

Well it all depends on whether the owners are serious about it doesn’t it Wight?

We shall see very soon.