TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Play Offs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Slipping away from what should have been a shoe in. 

Just watched the MK highlights & basically we were 2nd best for most of the game.

We could have come away with a 1-1 if Naylor's header had gone in but hit the bar.

Daniels tackle was stupid for the penalty & with his experience should know better to make that type of challenge in the area.

Jack's sending off was probably a bit harsh but a two footed challenge so a red card when a yellow could have done but ref adhering to the strict rules.

Where do we go from here? The $60M Qu. Well start with we need to give Swindon a good pasting tomorrow night.

If we can't put a few past them we might as well concede any chance of the play offs.

I'm just being realistic here.

Obviously, we all including the owners want the play offs with some fans hopefully allowed to witness.

If not, appoint the Cowleys on a 2 year contract give them some funds & get them to bring in the right players that will fit into their system.
Pretty much agree with a that. Plus we need to score at least two, given that Pitman will in all probability score at least 1. !
Had Marquis put the penalty away against Crewe it would look better. Really not sure about the Cowleys.
we will beat Swindon and score a few..we will be alright i think for Play offs
I really cant see us making the play offs, Charlton are likely to catch us and don't write off Swindon tomorrow, they have just sacked a manager who was about as popular there as KJ was here. New manager syndrome and Pitman sounds a cocktail for a home win to me.

The Cowleys - I don't know, far too early to judge and maybe they won't get a fair crack at the job if the end of season contract doesn't get extended and give them a chance to build something.

One thought in my mind is the rumour about a sale of the club and new owners next season - would fit nicely with the Cowleys short contract. I know nothing about it just pondering.
Swindon have sacked Sheridan, we could have done without that.
The players are mentally very weak. It’s a big contributor to why they have no consistency. (That and a sprinkling of no ability in certain positions).

The weak mentality comes out differently depending on the players personality:

I see players who have a big opinion of themselves try things that they couldn’t pull off if they tried it a million times in a row. Then get really angry with themselves that their effort didn’t come off and spend the rest of the game sulking.

I see players who do ridiculous things like plough in 2 footed in front of the ref. Or stick a half arsed foot out in the penalty area.

I see players running around aimlessly in areas of the pitch they are not supposed to be in.

I see players who decide they have the best chance of scoring for the team but then saunter up to the penalty spot and provide a cushioned pass to the keeper.

Whether the mentality is down to Jackett or the players themselves is up for debate (probs a mix of the two) but the fact remains that The Cowleys have to do something about it.
Swindon should be a routine win but our injury and suspension list makes any game much trickier.
As Harry used to say, we are down to the bare bones and are forced to play liabilities like Daniels. Meanwhile, Cannon can only play for 20 minutes because of his back.
I predict a tense one-nil win and then it will be about doing it again on Saturday. A draw from the remaining two MIGHT just be enough to make the play-offs but the sooner we do it, the sooner we can rest key players and get them fit for the play-offs.
Couldn’t agree more Pedalo, the only thing I would add is that the whole squad can’t get 95 minutes, fitness has always been an issue for the last four years and in The Cowley’s high tempo game players look legless by 70 minutes.

Whoever is the next management team, they have myriad problems to solve and my guess is that they will be allocated insufficient funds to do it.
(19-04-2021, 10:55 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]The players are mentally very weak. It’s a big contributor to why they have no consistency. (That and a sprinkling of no ability in certain positions).

The weak mentality comes out differently depending on the players personality:

I see players who have a big opinion of themselves try things that they couldn’t pull off if they tried it a million times in a row. Then get really angry with themselves that their effort didn’t come off and spend the rest of the game sulking.

I see players who do ridiculous things like plough in 2 footed in front of the ref. Or stick a half arsed foot out in the penalty area.

I see players running around aimlessly in areas of the pitch they are not supposed to be in.

I see players who decide they have the best chance of scoring for the team but then saunter up to the penalty spot and provide a cushioned pass to the keeper.

Whether the mentality is down to Jackett or the players themselves is up for debate (probs a mix of the two) but the fact remains that The Cowleys have to do something about it.

Spot on Pedalo!
I'd love to know the contrast between the Cowley's thoughts at 5pm on April 5 and 2:30pm last Saturday.
Better win tonight ! Playoffs recede if we don’t.

Plymouth v Charlton and Wimbledon v Oxford important to us tonight, really do need both our rivals to lose........assuming we win of course.
All over and I imagine the summer will bring new manager and new squad. Let’s hope so.
4 more games and then we’ll all be put out of our misery. Assuming the players don’t bottle it with a game in hand  Dodgy
We’ll finish 6th
(21-04-2021, 07:52 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]We’ll finish 6th

I'm really hoping not. Finish this fanless season. Get a long summer to prepare to do it properly with fans in next time around.