TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Prove you're Fit to Wear the Shirt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Three short points to make:

1. Lots of comments about the recruitment team, management team, players etc being useless. But they were good enough to get us top of the League at Christmas including near-records on consecutive wins, clean sheets. Then something went badly wrong. What?????

2. Tuesday was truly awful. Only Curtis looked like he was (a) capable and (b) trying, but even he's been pathetic on other recent occasions. 

3. Given the above, it occurred to me maybe there should be a presence outside the ground this Saturday with chants of "You're not fit to wear the shirt". But that doesn't show support for our club, so maybe better for choruses of "Prove you're fit to wear the shirt". I'm a season ticket holder, and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm currently 6000 miles away, I'd go down to FP on Sat.

Thoughts?
(22-04-2021, 07:26 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]Three short points to make:

1. Lots of comments about the recruitment team, management team, players etc being useless. But they were good enough to get us top of the League at Christmas including near-records on consecutive wins, clean sheets. Then something went badly wrong. What?????

2. Tuesday was truly awful. Only Curtis looked like he was (a) capable and (b) trying, but even he's been pathetic on other recent occasions. 

3. Given the above, it occurred to me maybe there should be a presence outside the ground this Saturday with chants of "You're not fit to wear the shirt". But that doesn't show support for our club, so maybe better for choruses of "Prove you're fit to wear the shirt". I'm a season ticket holder, and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm currently 6000 miles away, I'd go down to FP on Sat.

Thoughts?

I like chants that react to what is happening on the pitch, rather than pre-determined negativity. However, I agree there isnt much chance of a positive performance at the moment. I remember a few games where 'What the fucking hell was that?" was sung at half time & Full time.
Pedalo, I agree about pre-determined negativity, hence my suggestion to turn it round to "proof". One of the great things about the Fratton End is the creativity of songs!
I like all three of your points. The management are getting a lot of stick, but they are not the ones who have collapsed from a very high point in the league against sides at the top, sides in midtable and teams fighting relegation.
I've never seen that happen to a pompey side and don't really understand how it has happened to this squad.
We could all see some weaknesses number wise in key positions, but the squad limit rules in place must have influenced that outcome I imagine.
Being realistic a large part of this squad will be playing for us next season, for me the sooner this season finishes and we and they all get a break the better!
Confidence is the key. They just seem to have lost it completely. A few cases. Marquis seems incapable of a decent first touch. His lack of ball control is quite amazing sometimes. Ironically, Harrison is much better in that department but is rarely in the right place at the right time. Daniels, wtf, an ex-prem veteran, often looks like a park player, slow, cumbersome, prone to giving away silly unnecessary penalties. Against Swindon he looked good going forward and picked out several good passes but the damage had already been done by his woeful defending. Williams had 5 or 6 really good games mid-season, since then has been largely ineffectual. Harness blows hot and cold although he’s young and could still turn into a very good player imo as he’s skilful, can cross and has an excellent shot on him. In his defence he nearly always has two men on him as teams presumably see him as a threat. Curtis, had several dodgy games after he got Covid but is coming back to form and can be and has been a match winner. Naylor, is generally excellent for us as long as we don’t expect him to thread a pass. He can’t. Why did I start this ramble? Oh yes, confidence. Arry was excellent at instilling it, Jackett was not. The Cowleys seem to want to play the game the right way but the jury is definitely out on them and these four games will seal their fate. Ironically the best we’ve played under them was the first half in their first game which got all of our hopes up. Then a series of events (Marquis missed pen, Brown gets injured, Daniels gives pens away for fun, Raggett one Cruyff turn too many, Jack sees red etc) meant we managed to accrue one point from 12. Oh well, there’s always next season. Pompey, innit?