TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MacGillivray

Johnson, Nicolaisen, Raggett
Naylor, Close
Harness, Williams, Byers,Curtis
Marquis

Subs: Ward, Downing, Bolton, Cannon, White, Stanley, Daniels
Well that's at least an interesting variation. trying to make something happen. Fingers crossed.
Seems this may be a 3-1-4-2

With Marquis and Curtis up top, Naylor in holding position in front of back 3.
We were supposed to have a stronger squad to avoid burnout, it don't seem to have happened. And i do get the limitations of the squad cap but I think a lot of us thought we were stronger but unbalanced and its worked out just like that, Byers and White are nice additions but probably not both needed as midifelders
Marquis seems to be unable to get involved whether Pompey play hoof ball or the new pressing passing style. I can’t understand it.
I think the setup did suit the midfielders pretty well. Most of the action bypassed M probably as he is so poor at laying it off. Being able to play a one two is pretty much basic for a forward player and he rarely manages it. Looking at bR if we want to improve our goal difference they look as if they are ready to give up. Naylor did stand out as being a place where the mvoes break down too.
is that stanley stripping, might be white, don't now what stanley looks like. I still don't know what Stanley looks like
Harness is total dogshit mostly!
certainly not a wing back, but didn't do anything wrong today
Poses no threat, doesn't even cross well. Been rubbish for the last 6 games.
Well that was so boring and dreadful to watch. We sat back for the whole 2nd half happy to defend a one goal lead against a poor Rovers side. Attacking wise we offered very little with Williams and Harness totally ineffective with their final ball and crossing so lacking in quality. We had one shot on goal and that was a quality touch by Byas and a super finish by Curtis, The less said about Marquis the better, you really feel that he is struggling and out of his depth. The defence looked good with Johnson and Raggett impressive but in truth they were never really tested.
Rovers were so poor and never ever looking like scoring. McGillivray didn't have a real shot to save.
The big worry for the future games is that again we don't look sharp or penetrative up front.
There is and has been a lack of proper pace going forward.
Naylor having a bad time . Been poor for several games. Burnout? Byers some nice touches, same White. Curtis tried hard and scored. CBs both did their jobs. Johnson Ok. Defending deep for last half hour with 2 extra defenders smacked of Jackett days. All rather depressing. But a win's a win after what's gone before.
Charlton miss pen. Stockley!
Confidence looks shot. And talking of which - only one shot all game on target against the bottom club. Shocking. I'm almost wishing Charlton would put us out of this lingering agony.
nice to see MK 3up on mighty swindon at half time. Shows us our place!
a wins a win. We go again, is I believe the phrase.
Although the stats they gave today about how we have done against the bottom five seem to explain why we are nowhere near the top two.
We're going to need a lot better attacking players than what we have. Harness is a shadow of the player he was, Williams full of energy with very little end product. Marquis is just quite simply rubbish. If we had a proper striker we'd have won some of the recent games where we dropped points.

Defence is ok I think although could do with a decent centre half who could play in the starting eleven.
I wonder if there's a chance to sign Byers permanently.
Yeh I know I’m a miserable coont at the moment but a 1-0 home win against a bottom side doesn’t exactly have me scrambling to look up playoff dates.

We still have the same problems with the squad as we did last week.
Yes we do absolutely still have the same problems as the last few games, but equally it's the same squad as got us top at Xmas. Hence my earlier thread on a possible "cunning plot"
In his defence Raggetti had an excellent game today saving a couple of goals and winning absolutely everything in the air
(24-04-2021, 05:39 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Yeh I know I’m a miserable coont at the moment but a 1-0 home win against a bottom side doesn’t exactly have me scrambling to look up playoff dates.

Absolutely agree. If we are unable to beat relegation threatened clubs by more than the only goal, then we are not ready to compete in the play off lottery for promotion. Our performances against teams such as Swindon, MK Dons and Bristol Rovers, not to mention a home defeat to Burton, hardly fill the fans with confidence for the immediate future.
It is difficult to consider, with any confidence, the thought of accumulating 9 points from the three remaining games to give us perhaps an outside chance of being involved in play off's against say Sunderland, Blackpool or Lincoln. What then
I am usually an optimist but try to temper this with a dose of reality. Mind you I suppose miracles can happen?
Marquis with 6 goals in three games and three more in the playoffs.... I see no flying pigs!!
(24-04-2021, 08:03 PM)amadalso Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-04-2021, 05:39 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Yeh I know I’m a miserable coont at the moment but a 1-0 home win against a bottom side doesn’t exactly have me scrambling to look up playoff dates.

Absolutely agree. If we are unable to beat relegation threatened clubs by more than the only goal, then we are not ready to compete in the play off lottery for promotion. Our performances against teams such as Swindon, MK Dons and Bristol Rovers, not to mention a home defeat to Burton, hardly fill the fans with confidence for the immediate future.
It is difficult to consider, with any confidence, the thought of accumulating 9 points from the three remaining games to give us perhaps an outside chance of being involved in play off's against say Sunderland, Blackpool or Lincoln. What then
I am usually an optimist but try to temper this with a dose of reality. Mind you I suppose miracles can happen?

not sure if you heard the stats on the radio.
against the bottom five last five games this season. 4 losses and a draw. In a previous season under kenny; 28 points from 30. That makes it very black and white how this team is simply not good enough for promotion.