TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 3 more wins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Needed and even then, that may not be enough. I still think it’s going to take a minor miracle for us to get 6th. 

Charltons last 2 games originally looked tough but given how the league table has evolved, I’d bet my mortgage on Charlton winning both:

Penultimate game: Lincoln at home
You can guarantee that if Lincoln’s playoff spot is secured, they’ll be resting players. Even if they don’t, their players will be playing to avoid injury rather than win at all costs.

Final game: Hull at home
Hull will be crowned champions before this game. They may play a full strength team but again, it means nothing to Hull.
If my maths is right 7pts takes everyone out of our race except Charlton who would need 9 from 4 games or 10 if we improved goal diff. 3 wins and Charlton need to win all 4. Lets be honest though... are we likely to win all 3 and do we deserve anything?
2 wins and a draw to give us 75 points should be more than enough.

Charlton won't find it easy at home to Lincoln and Hull as they are poor at home and other interesting fixtures include Sunderland vs Blackpool and Peterborough vs Lincoln. Oxford have a trip to Shrewsbury (as do Lincoln) and finish at home to Burton so even if they win both of their games they'll only reach 74 points. Blackpool have to visit Northampton who are battling to stay up while Sunderland are more than capable of bottling it!

Plenty to play for so fingers crossed for 3 points on Tuesday evening!
I think our 2 games against the Accies will be our downfall
(25-04-2021, 08:08 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I think our 2 games against the Accies will be our downfall

Wimbledon could be tricky too.
(25-04-2021, 09:51 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-04-2021, 08:08 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I think our 2 games against the Accies will be our downfall

Wimbledon could be tricky too.

Let's be honest, playing any side with a little more cutting edge than us would be challenging
Even playing Bristol Rov, who had no cutting edge at all, proved tricky.
(25-04-2021, 10:58 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Even playing Bristol Rov, who had no cutting edge at all, proved tricky.

Lol yeh, as did the now relegated Swindon, thumped 5-0 by the mediocre Milton Keynes.
Every game seems to be tough now. Except perhaps BR who might now be easy as they are down. I'm far from convinced that our best long term thing is to scrape into the play offs. With the squad knackered or out injured. We might be better served by an earlier finish to the season and the chance to start building anew as soon as possible. Even keeping some of the out of contract players will be easier if we finish the season sooner rather than later.
Do we want any of the out of contract players?
(25-04-2021, 07:13 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]Do we want any of the out of contract players?

Whatmough &  Naylor are apparently the only two we have no options on. 

I'd rather not lose either of them to be honest, but I fear we've already lost both of them unless we go up, which seems unlikely.
Providing their replacements are of good quality and suit the new manager's style it doesn't matter who stays or goes.
Lets get real about this: IF we reach the play offs (a very big IF based on current form - lost easily to Swindon, struggled to scratch out a 1-0 to Bristol Rovers at home) then we have no chance against the likes of Sunderland, Lincoln, Blackpool .

Three more wins, its pie in the sky.
(26-04-2021, 12:38 PM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]Lets get real about this: IF we reach the play offs (a very big IF based on current form - lost easily to Swindon, struggled to scratch out a 1-0 to Bristol Rovers at home) then we have no chance against the likes of Sunderland, Lincoln, Blackpool .

Three more wins, its pie in the sky.

If future form was always the same as current or past form there would be no point in watching football. 

If we make the play-offs it will be because our form has improved from current form, and we would have every chance against the likes of Sunderland whose form looks like it is collapsing at just the wrong time for them.
Arguably, if we make the play offs we will be the in form team and how often the ones that sneak in are the ones that win the thing. Having said that, I don't really see us getting 7 pts or more even though this season has been fairly strange in terms of results and runs of good /bad form for so many teams.