TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Marquis.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Couldn't put the ball through an open aircraft hangar.
He is definitely making a stab at going down in Pompey folklore as one of the most expensive flops ever. If there was a league table for arrogance he's be right up there though.
wouldnt you know it...
still better than McGarbage and doesn't have a perm!
he was a real legend!!
on that last corner. back post. in far too early. You coach school kids that you can make the late run better than being under or in front of the ball. Would have been unmarked on the edge of the 6yd box.
is marquis a winger in disguise? Never seen a striker be so hit and miss. But he could still get 20 goals again he usually scores in batches.
(27-04-2021, 07:53 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]is marquis a winger in disguise? Never seen a striker be so hit and miss. But he could still get 20 goals again he usually scores in batches.

Hat-trick! Never easy being a Pompey fan
nope. But we moaned about Jackettball being boring. Tonight was not boring!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH, frustrating as hell.
i actually felt sorry for him when McG punched the ball into him and boing into the net
Not his fault at all for the own goal I thought.

Question: why the f**k don’t goalkeepers catch the ball anymore?  I swear some holiday camp hypnotist has put McGillivray under his spell and convinced him the football is really a hot lump of coal.
Totally agree. All the english keepers used to catch often while diving. Then the continental managers arrive and we see keepers punching (or more often flapping)
Watching McG he increasingly pushes the ball back into the are in front of the goal. That used to be an absolute no no for any competent keeper. Catch/up and over/or push round the corner but never flat hand in front of you.
There also used to be commentary about how the greatest keepers made few flash saves as they moved early enough and predicted where the ball was going to give them selves a catch or a block without too much diving about.
I wonder if we need a keeper who will command his area if we wish to make the next step.
Rather than replace McG (and we do have Bass returning next season), start with centre midfield where we have a choice from players who can’t tackle (Close), can’t pass more than 5 yards with any accuracy (Close, Naylor, Cannon), run around like headless chickens (Cannon) and don’t score goals (Close, Naylor, Cannon).

Last nights late equaliser came from another heedless tackle and free kick from Cannon, he must be last in the Game-management stakes and our centre-mids were AWOL for the entire first half (when Accy might have been 3 up)

McG has made mistakes this season and, as the last line of defence, they show up but in front of him he had been very poorly served by the back line and midfield.

Punching away instead of catching is just as evident in The Premiership, I heard a discussion with H&J on TalkSport and the feeling was that the modern ball makes punching safer than catching.
agree that the very best goalkeepers are usually behind found the very best defensive unit.
I wonder if Forde does any coaching, at 4th tier I thought he was outstanding for the way he dominated and organised the area and really showed why he had played higher.
(28-04-2021, 09:20 AM)YWightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Rather than replace McG (and we do have Bass returning next season), start with centre midfield where we have a choice from players who can’t tackle (Close), can’t pass more than 5 yards with any accuracy (Close, Naylor, Cannon), run around like headless chickens (Cannon) and don’t score goals (Close, Naylor, Cannon).

Last nights late equaliser came from another heedless tackle and free kick from Cannon, he must be last in the Game-management stakes and our centre-mids were AWOL for the entire first half (when Accy might have been 3 up)

McG has made mistakes this season and, as the last line of defence, they show up but in front of him he had been very poorly served by the back line and midfield.

Punching away instead of catching is just as evident in The Premiership, I heard a discussion with H&J on TalkSport and the feeling was that the modern ball makes punching safer than catching.
YThe fact that something is ‘just as prevalent’ in the Premiership is not really relevant is it?

Modern coaching methods are pretty much the same in all divisions.

As for the modern ball making punching safer, I am not convinced. Punching something round leads to a very variable outcome, with little control. Catching (which done keepers still do) offers much more control. Mistakes happen whatever you do but I still think catching (especially when there is not much power behind the shot/header) is the safer option.
I would agree. They talk about the modern ball moving around more so surely punching becomes a riskier option than getting behind it and catching it? I have to add I know nothing about keeping, it just seems to make sense. I would argue that a previous post stating Close can't pass more than 5 yards is harsh. He has many failings (hence he is only league 1 at best) but I do think he has a decent passing ability. Cannon yes, headless chicken too often, possibly from purely trying too hard to impress. Naylor for sure can't pass to save his life.
The point is he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place as the keeper should have taken cleanly.
But what was he doing there? Shouldn't he have been up field waiting for a clearance?
(29-04-2021, 02:50 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]The point is he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place as the keeper should have taken cleanly.

As an ex-member of the goalkeepers union I have to defend McG from that comment.   

Whether or not he generally has a tendency to punch or palm out when he could catch is debatable, and probably a sign of modern techniques changing as the ball changes, but he is no worse than any other keeper at it IMO.  

But for the Marquis o.g. he cannot be blamed for not catching it. The ball was shot firmly at him from 10 yards out through a crowded penalty area and he did well to save it at all that far away from his body. He got quite a firm punch on it which is better than softly palming it down in those circumstances, but to suggest he should have caught it is absurdly hypercritical.
(29-04-2021, 03:03 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]But what was he doing there? Shouldn't he have been up field waiting for a clearance?

Surely under the circumstances, with only a minute to go, you would expect to have everybody back defending?
(29-04-2021, 04:22 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-04-2021, 03:03 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]But what was he doing there? Shouldn't he have been up field waiting for a clearance?

Surely under the circumstances, with only a minute to go, you would expect to have everybody back defending?

seems logical captain
Too many cooks.
Let defenders defend

Deebo

Absolutely. You'd have thought that lesson was learnt in the semi against Oxford last season. That tactic went well didn't it. Lot of crap being spouted about McG. If certain players could tackle properly and control themselves this thread wouldnt exist.
Pages: 1 2