TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Keeperrrrrrrrrr
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Apparently MacGillivray punched the ball into one of his own players again and it went in. Is this another weakness, or is he not calling for the ball properly?

Keeperrrrrrrrrr!!!
Not the way it happened at all. He made about 8 top class saves. Look for other scapegoats
(28-04-2021, 07:30 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Not the way it happened at all. He made about 8 top class saves. Look for other scapegoats

Did you actually read what I said?
Great performance by McG - hope we keep him!
(28-04-2021, 06:38 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently MacGillivray punched the ball into one of his own players again and it went in. Is this another weakness, or is he not calling for the ball properly?

Keeperrrrrrrrrr!!!

He does have a habit, like so many keepers, of pushing the ball back into open play again. Complete accident last night and unfortunate after all the terrific work he had done.
Without McG we would have been dead and buried last evening......and the Accies finishing was dreadful !
I don’t think anyone is saying that MacGillivray is not a good keeper, or that he didn’t make good saves last night.

It is an indisputable fact, however, that he has punched the ball against a Pompey player, resulting in an o. g. on at least two occasions. Actually he could have caught the one last night, removing all danger.

I think this is a facet of modern keeping, where keepers block the ball away rather than catching it. I think, on balance, I preferred the catching of the ball. I know keepers sometimes fumble the ball but I think more goals have been conceded by weak or mistimed palming or punching than by catching. 

I think MacGillivray could do with practising the art of pushing the ball away from the goal rather than back into the danger zone. He is a very good keeper though, no doubt about that.
Just read the Marquis thread and see that the ‘catch or punch’ debate has been done on there.

Silly of me to expect discussion of keeping tactics to be under the heading ‘Keeperrrr’, rather than ‘Marquis’  Smile Smile  Smile .
Jus watched the highlights. Oh dear.. the Accy goals are dreadful aren't they. Stationary defender goal one, everyone asleep goal two, poor clearing header and a tame McG palm out for goal three. Not sure how the Cowleys can sort that rabble out before saturday.
MacGillivray didn't punch out a cross hit from the sideline but a shot hit from around the penalty spot that came through a ruck of players. It was therefore more of a reaction save than anything else and I don't think he can be apportioned too much blame. Marquis neither. 
While the influx of foreign keepers with a preference  to punching rather than catching has seemingly caught on, the evolution of ball technology cannot be understated. When outfield players, including more technically limited ones, can bend it both ways or successfully execute a fohla seca then even the best keepers are going to opt for the punch or parry.
(28-04-2021, 09:43 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Just read the Marquis thread and see that the ‘catch or punch’ debate has been done on there.

Silly of me to expect discussion of keeping tactics to be under the heading ‘Keeperrrr’, rather than ‘Marquis’  Smile Smile  Smile .

Captain Smug strikes again, ffs  Rolleyes

It was indeed silly of you to expect that Gaff when those posts pre-dated this thread by a good ten hours.
(28-04-2021, 06:38 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently MacGillivray punched the ball into one of his own players again and it went in. Is this another weakness, or is he not calling for the ball properly?

Keeperrrrrrrrrr!!!

"apparently" ??!!

Why not watch the incident before passing comment ? 

it was hardly a punch out. It was a good save. 

If you want to blame anyone for points dropped I'd start with whoever conceded the completely unnecessary free kicks that led to their second & third goals (not sure who the first one was (raggett?), but it was Cannon yet again for the second) rather than the keeper who kept us in the game throuhgout.
(28-04-2021, 09:43 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Just read the Marquis thread and see that the ‘catch or punch’ debate has been done on there.

Yes...you din! ?

Talking of dins, how do emoji's work on this bleeding site??!!!
(28-04-2021, 01:42 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Keeperrrrrrrrrr!!!

"apparently" ??!!

Why not watch the incident before passing comment ? 

it was hardly a punch out. It was a good save. 

If you want to blame anyone for points dropped I'd start with whoever conceded the completely unnecessary free kicks that led to their second & third goals (not sure who the first one was (raggett?), but it was Cannon yet again for the second) rather than the keeper who kept us in the game throuhgout.

As I've said before, read what I said before commenting. I did not accuse him of causing dropped points, the general consensus is that giving away the free kick was the problem. I was simply asking the question whether pushing into one of his own players was a weakness.

In fact the real focus of my comment was whether he calls for the ball enough. Actually, no keepers seem to do it these days. You certainly never hear them in these empty stadiums.

What a pity so many people, on this site, insist on ad hominem attacks rather than openly debating the points made.
As it happens last night the commentators on the radio mentioned a couple of times that you could hear in the empty ground the shouts of McG claiming the ball. So I will give him the benefit of the doubt on that issue.
During this season McG has made mistakes, even the very best goalkeepers do, as the last line of defence any mistakes are highlighted but he has performed well despite having an often shambolic back four ‘protecting him and his goal’, more like the reverse.
Midfield has offered little enough protection and have conceded dangerous free kicks all season long through a mixture of clumsiness and rank timing - Cannons last evening was as ludicrous example as you could wish to see, the fact that DC mentioned it in his post match interview suggests Cannon won’t be getting off lightly (any chance of game management went out the window with that stupid tackle).

We have Bass, hopefully fully fit, to come back into the reckoning next season and I wouldn’t put a goalkeeper high on our list of priorities, in fact it’s one of our stronger elements when compared to our back four, midfield and our lamentable strikers.
(28-04-2021, 02:45 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]As it happens last night the commentators on the radio mentioned a couple of times that you could hear in the empty ground the shouts of McG claiming the ball. So I will give him the benefit of the doubt on that issue.

Yes, but TBP doesn't watch matches so won't know that. But still seems to think he is qualified to pass comment.

Calling for the ball is actually one of McG's strengths.
Its a false economy putting a striker in the box to defend. Harrison showed us how useless they are when near your own goal. If they have to come back to defend, they should be on the edge of the area where they can do less damage.

If Marquis wasnt standing where he was, he wouldnt have been in the perfect place to ricochet the ball into his goal. Who was he supposed to be marking there FFS?
McGillivray is a grade one flapper, and his distribution is pony as well, normally a hoof anywhere.

Bin the Coont - HARD.
He wanted his hattrick
McG does make a lot of great looking saves.
He also pushes the ball back into play more often than he should.
Up and over or round the corner or even catch the damned thing.
British keepers very rarely used to allow the ball back out in front of them, now they seem to have become a generation of flappers.
I do remember reading years back that the very best keepers rarely had to make flash looking saves as their footwork and reading of the game meant they were in the right place before the ball arrived. Ray Clemence springs to mind I guess.
Still for tier three he is a decent keeper but still fairly inexperienced as he's been back up for much of his career.
The irony of a thread berating our keeper, who will likely be a contender for player of the season! 

This is why I love online forums  Big Grin
(29-04-2021, 11:15 AM)EddJ Wrote: [ -> ]The irony of a thread berating our keeper, who will likely be a contender for player of the season! 

This is why I love online forums  Big Grin

The same posters who berate our keeper also probably criticise Banks for not catching Pele's downward header in 1970 and needlessly giving away a corner.
I know that's tongue in cheek but I blame Shilton for the hand of god goal. Maradona was expecting to be taken out, like he should have been, hence why his arm was up as protection. Shilton should have taken ball and man but got neither because he was too slow and only got about two inches off the ground. Maradona couldn't believe his luck
Just watched the highlights & agree about palming balls out in front of goal when they should be caught.

It wastes all the great reaction saves made by gifting the other team easy goal scoring opportunities.

The Cowleys need to sort out.

Need to explain about when to catch & when to fist out with distance & height.

Palming is a complete waste of time!

In most cases if the keeper comes to catch a ball & is impeded even slight he'll receive a free kick.
Pages: 1 2