TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Whatmough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is he back for Accrington?

Wonder what the pairing would be. Based on Saturday, our strongest back two are jack & downing. Never thought I’d be saying that...
Depends on whether DC has kept Jack match fit (as much as you can anyway when someone’s not playing).

Accrington’s strike pair gave us loads of problems at The Wham and if DC feels that Downing can perform as well as he did yesterday he will be on the team sheet already.

Jack owes the team big time and maybe his defensive solidity might be really important on Sunday (stupid crash tackles aside). A really good 60/70 minutes might be enough time for Pompey to be well on top and if Jack is tiring then Raggs or Nico could be brought on (not that Centre backs cover as much ground as other players).

Raggett made a number of mistakes yesterday which made me wonder if he can be trusted in a make or break game like Sundays.

At least DC has some options and, elsewhere on the pitch, isn’t Hiwula now fit for selection ?

Deebo

I'd be absolutely amazed if it's not Jack and Raggetino.
(02-05-2021, 02:24 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Depends on whether DC has kept Jack match fit (as much as you can anyway when someone’s not playing).

Accrington’s strike pair gave us loads of problems at The Wham and if DC feels that Downing can perform as well as he did yesterday he will be on the team sheet already.

Jack owes the team big time and maybe his defensive solidity might be really important on Sunday (stupid crash tackles aside). A really good 60/70 minutes might be enough time for Pompey to be well on top and if Jack is tiring then Raggs or Nico could be brought on (not that Centre backs cover as much ground as other players).

Raggett made a number of mistakes yesterday which made me wonder if he can be trusted in a make or break game like Sundays.

At least DC has some options and, elsewhere on the pitch, isn’t Hiwula now fit for selection ?

Downing and Whatmough are both natural right centre backs so I think DC will decide between them rather than play one of them on the left.  Thats assuming its a flat back four.  A lot may depend on if the rumours of Whatmough leaving in the summer are true ?  

For all his mistakes Raggett is still strong in the air at both ends of the pitch.
rather unfair on Raggett if he has to keep coping with a different man next to him. Not sure what I would do but Downing looked most assured. Might depend if they have a big threat in the air as Jack and Raggy are fantastic in the air at winning the first ball. I'm guessing brown starts though!
It’s an undeniable fact that Accy scored 3 last time we played them and had the chances to score more, hardly suggestive that the centre of our defence is an impregnable fortress.

DC had it confirmed that Accy have a decent two pronged attack and presumably will set up the centre of defence accordingly, wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Downing start.

Raggett ? Like the curates egg, excellent in parts but unfortunately with Raggett there’s always a calamitous mistake(s) out there, plenty in recent games.

Would be a great help to whoever plays in the centre of the back four if our centre- mids could give them more protection than of late.'
Whatmough has gone right down in my estimation in the last few months. Yes, he is still probably our best all round CB (though if Downing were to perform weekly as he did on Sat that could be in question). But 2 needless red cards on the halfway line with no imminent danger was unforgivable at such a critical time of the season - he has cost us a guaranteed play off place, without doubt.

Probably the biggest headache DC has had since he started, who to pick in CD on Sat.
Yes, have to agree Mr Wanchor. Completely let the team down with those two challenges. The first one you could maybe write off as a blip, but to do it twice is ridiculous. Has Daniels been 'helping' coach him lol

There are 3 players that i am incredibly annoyed with at the moment who have directly let the side down with idiotic challenges:

Whatmough - 2 red cards
Daniels - 2 Penalties
Cannon - 2 needless pathetic wet lettuce 'challenges' both directly resulting in goals.
(03-05-2021, 01:27 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, have to agree Mr Wanchor. Completely let the team down with those two challenges. The first one you could maybe write off as a blip, but to do it twice is ridiculous. Has Daniels been 'helping' coach him lol

There are 3 players that i am incredibly annoyed with at the moment who have directly let the side down with idiotic challenges:

Whatmough - 2 red cards
Daniels - 2 Penalties
Cannon - 2 needless pathetic wet lettuce 'challenges' both directly resulting in goals.

Annoying granted, but not quite achieving the consistency-level of annoying as Marquis for bumbled first touches and desperate misses
(03-05-2021, 01:27 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, have to agree Mr Wanchor. Completely let the team down with those two challenges. The first one you could maybe write off as a blip, but to do it twice is ridiculous. Has Daniels been 'helping' coach him lol

Whatmough - 2 red cards
Daniels - 2 Penalties

I still think Jack's first red was a perfectly good tackle.
Agreed Gerry. The 3 culprits I listed did idiotic action that could have been avoided with a bit more composure.

Marquis just seems like he’s doing his best but is just bad at football. At least he hasn’t repeated his red card...yet!