TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Blessing in disguise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so still feeling sick about yet another pathetic display in front of the cameras at Fratton Park. What a waste of 4 years “Dinosaur Jackett” truly was. Having him tell us on Sky we had an attacking problem was the ultimate irony. 
The fact is under his tenure we were never an attaching threat. It’s once again lucky for him and the players the fans weren’t there today.

Im trying to be philosophical when I say not making the playoffs is probably a blessing in disguise as the other 3 teams we would have faced are streets ahead, have power and pace and score goals for fun. It would have been great to be part of it but we all know by now how this ends. We didn’t make it because we didn’t deserve too. Even when we have won games over the last few seasons we have never really been convincing. 

So what now? Well I like the energy and enthusiasm the Cowleys have brought in. I actually feel sorry for them trying to polish Jacketts turd. The first four games were very entertaining passing our way From box to box. It’s just a shame that some of the teams lack of ability resulted in reverting to Jackett hoof ball. 
if they have the contacts to bring in a team of winners then I would be well up for giving them a 2 year deal. At least they are passionate and take a hands on approach and will make sure the player are fit. I’d  rather that than see the Eiseners being duped again by some ageing “Jackett”clone who talks a good game but doesn’t deliver.

I suppose at least now we can start shedding the dead weight and start the rebuild. The big difference is next season we will be back and there will be no hiding place.
If they can build a whole new team from scratch in 3 months it will be impressive. Harry and Jim did it! Their problem is I imagine most people are tired of waiting. Jackett has used up all our patience and top 2 is a must next year.
I'm content that this lot cannot do it in a big game so best not embarrass us in the playoffs. At least the manager for next season should now have a long closed season to sort the squad and get properly ready to entertain some fans.
‘Some’ fans... best guess for August? 25%? 50% or a full house?
Next season sees an experienced Wycombe, Rotherham and Sheff Wednesday trio in L1 along with a rebuilding and heavily financed Ipswich and a very hard to beat Accrington Stanley . We’ll do well to make the play offs next season
Plus 3 out of oxford, Blackpool and Sunderland and a burton team on the up, plus Bolton. Will be better than this season which was there for the taking.
And Wigan have just had a takeover...
What's a blessing in disguise is the fact that we have found out now that the Cowley's are out of their depth and not mid-season.
Call it bedwetting if you want but I can see us finishing outside the play offs again next season when you look at the financial firepower we will be up against, the progressive sides that have been building over the last two seasons and one of the teams coming down.

Pompey getting an autos spot would take for us to blow everyone away.

Eat what we kill in 2021/22 will be a top half finish at best. If Tornante are serious then they would have to put their hands in their pockets now.

I stop well short of saying that's what I want given the shit we have been through but I honestly believe it would take money to put us in contention next season now.
Quite easy for Tornante to give us extra firepower, they just issue, say, $10 million of new shares and Michael Eisner buys the lot.

Therefore Pompey would have a fighting fund of an extra c. £ 7 Million, Pompey’s debt would not have increased and Michael Eisner’s financial commitment to Pompey would have increased by the same amount (and the only way he could recover his extra commitment would be by selling the shares.....ie not repayable on demand).

Very simple to arrange but also an active measure of Eisner’s intentions, I don’t think he will subscribe to new shares but will instead stick with his mantra of “We only eat what we kill”
(09-05-2021, 08:54 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Call it bedwetting if you want but I can see us finishing outside the play offs again next season when you look at the financial firepower we will be up against, the progressive sides that have been building over the last two seasons and one of the teams coming down.

Pompey getting an autos spot would take for us to blow everyone away.

Eat what we kill in 2021/22 will be a top half finish at best. If Tornante are serious then they would have to put their hands in their pockets now.

I stop well short of saying that's what I want given the shit we have been through but I honestly believe it would take money to put us in contention next season now.

But there are plenty of clubs who do only eat what they kill, have smaller crowds than Pompey and seem to regularly outperform us. Accrington are a great example, but Oxford,Burton, Wycombe all spring to mind too. We should be able to create a model based on eat what you kill but utilising the bigger crowds to constantly challenge better and bigger than at the moment. And for gawd sake get in some players with fight and cojones......
(10-05-2021, 08:13 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Quite easy for Tornante to give us extra firepower, they just issue, say, $10 million of new shares and Michael Eisner buys the lot.

Therefore Pompey would have a fighting fund of an extra c. £ 7 Million, Pompey’s debt would not have increased and Michael Eisner’s financial commitment to Pompey would have increased by the same amount (and the only way he could recover his extra commitment would be by selling the shares.....ie not repayable on demand).

Very simple to arrange but also an active measure of Eisner’s intentions, I don’t think he will subscribe to new shares but will instead stick with his mantra of “We only eat what we kill”

I thought his mantra was 'one brick at a time'.....