TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: dead weights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A lot has been talked about the players that are out of contract. To me though, the players who i would have at the top of my list to boot out still have time to run on their contracts. These would be:

Harrison
Marquis
Bolton
Raggett
Downing (although he had 2 good games right at the end)

Ideally we would kiss good by to all of these wasters but i have a feeling we wont have too many takers...
I wonder realistically how much the squad will change?
(12-05-2021, 07:01 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]A lot has been talked about the players that are out of contract. To me though, the players who i would have at the top of my list to boot out still have time to run on their contracts. These would be:

Harrison
Marquis
Bolton
Raggett

Ideally we would kiss good by to all of these wasters but i have a feeling we wont have too many takers...

I would top all of them with Harness. A total waste of space last season 1 good game every 20 is no where good enough I would be shocked if Cowley wants him here next season. I would challenge anyone who can convince me he is good enough on last season performances.
(12-05-2021, 08:15 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2021, 07:01 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]A lot has been talked about the players that are out of contract. To me though, the players who i would have at the top of my list to boot out still have time to run on their contracts. These would be:

Harrison
Marquis
Bolton
Raggett

I would top all of them with Harness. A total waste of space last season 1 good game every 20 is no where good enough I would be shocked if Cowley wants him here next season. I would challenge anyone who can convince me he is good enough on last season performances.

I was shocked to read that Cowley is likely to bring in 8 new faces this summer. Only 8 ffs??!!!
Harness has quality in him but my god he is leaving it late to find consistency.

You have to take into account that he's had Kenny Jackett ruining him for a couple of seasons though.

Last chance saloon next season for him. I say keep him.
Might be fairer to judge them after a period of playing under a better manager, with positive tactics and hopefully the right players around them.

Most of those on the list have been good players in other teams so must have more to offer than we have seen so far.

Harrison
Marquis
Bolton
Raggett

I don’t think Raggett will be going anywhere, the Cowleys like him don’t they? I think he’s made some howlers but has otherwise been pretty solid.

Downing might suit the Cowleys style of play and they do speak highly of him, so it wouldn’t’t surprise me if he stayed. 

As for the rest, they most certainly wouldn’t be missed.
Williams,Harness,Bolton,Close,Cannon,Morris,Harrison,Marquis,Downing,Raggett, can all go as far as I'm concerned. All of them are either inconsistent or not very good at all. New season new team.
Hopefully in the next couple of weeks or so we will know whether the club have really taken on board what the fans and the local newspaper have expressed i.e. that the huge majority of this squad must be released and replaced whether its not having their contracts renewed or made available for transfer as the case may be. 
I have a horrible feeling that the club will renege on this through some sort of misplaced loyalty or 'matey' environment.
If he wants 8 new faces we have to lose 8 to maintain the squad size do we? Hiwula, Byers and White are 3 (although he might want White back... I thought Byers showed something if he could be tempted back? Not too fussed though).
If we had to choose 5 others to leave... Marquis, Bolton, Daniels, Harrison, and one out of cannon, harness and williams. I assume he will keep williams because he likes his energy (get paid plenty for running around aimlessly!!) Then there's jacobs.. can we risk another sick note season? But that leaves us with both raggett and downing so that can't happen!! Curtis we might get money for. McG wants to stay so I assume his contract will get sorted. In conclusion I would agree that we need more than 8 new faces in order to lose more than 8 of the current rabble. That is easier said than done of course. Good luck to them!!! (apologies if my logic is flawed)
Does anyone know the cowleys preferred formation?

Shirley that will have a bearing on who stays and goes.
Just focusing on midfield (ive already harked on enough about our shit defence & strikers), I'd pretty much gut it. Bear in mind that i am still livid with the squad so that may be it affecting my judgement:

Id like to think Cannon has played his last game for us. He cost a fortune per game played and really let the side down the last few games before he was dropped. Looks like his back problem is back, too.

Close, although i like him, he just hasn't improved enough to be at the consistent level we need for a L1 promotion challenge. Out of the midfielders, i would be saddest to see go but go he must.

Naylor - I know a lot of people rate him for doing the dirty work but he is just so terrible at passing. I cant believe we cant find a better tackling midfielder with a bit more composure and passing range. Goodbye Tom.

Morris - Is he still here?

Curtis - Big attitude problem and it affects the whole team. If we can get 1M + for him id bite your hand off.

Williams - Too lightweight unfortunately but fits Cowleys high press tactics and you need runners in the team to do this.

Harness - I think he's the best out of a bad bunch because he does show glimpses of what a player he could be. If he stays, he needs a senior player to compete with.
Very much agree with that analysis. I am slightly more pro Curtis than some but agree his attitude needs addressing. There is also the question of Jacobs. Good player.. sick note... what to do with him? Keep and hope would be my guess.
(13-05-2021, 11:40 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Just focusing on midfield (ive already harked on enough about our shit defence & strikers), I'd pretty much gut it. Bear in mind that i am still livid with the squad so that may be it affecting my judgement:

Id like to think Cannon has played his last game for us. He cost a fortune per game played and really let the side down the last few games before he was dropped. Looks like his back problem is back, too.

Close, although i like him, he just hasn't improved enough to be at the consistent level we need for a L1 promotion challenge. Out of the midfielders, i would be saddest to see go but go he must.

Naylor - I know a lot of people rate him for doing the dirty work but he is just so terrible at passing. I cant believe we cant find a better tackling midfielder with a bit more composure and passing range. Goodbye Tom.

Morris - Is he still here?

Curtis - Big attitude problem and it affects the whole team. If we can get 1M + for him id bite your hand off.

Williams - Too lightweight unfortunately but fits Cowleys high press tactics and you need runners in the team to do this.

Harness - I think he's the best out of a bad bunch because he does show glimpses of what a player he could be. If he stays, he needs a senior player to compete with.

I agree with some of that Pedalo but you do need someone to do the dirty work. Naylor is a good player but he should concentrate on breaking up the opposition play, then giving the ball to someone more creative (hopefully we’ll be signing the aforementioned creative players soon).   Smile

Harness looks like he’s going to be one of those players who has forever unrealised potential, he’s been around long enough to know what is required. To succeed in professional football you need the talent (which he obviously has) and you need to have determination and a willingness to work your bollox off (both qualities that he appears to be lacking). Maybe the Cowleys can get the best out of him, we shall see.

Interesting times, all should become much clearer in the coming weeks.
I’m looking forward to upcoming transfers significantly more than I looked forward to watching us play over the last 9 months. How soon before we are linked to Ben Thompson.
(13-05-2021, 07:22 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]I’m looking forward to upcoming transfers significantly more than I looked forward to watching us play over the last 9 months. How soon before we are linked to Ben Thompson.

I don’t want to hear about us being ‘linked’ with anyone, that kind of thing is mainly the rumour mill fed by the media for click bait.

I only want to hear about players we have actually signed, they are the only ones who matter at the end of the day.

Thompson would be a great signing of course  Smile .
We will be ‘linked’ with all sorts of exciting players, with 25 goals a season strikers, Ben Thompson....and Uncle Tom Cobley and all !

It’s called Selling Season Tickets to Waverers !