TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: retained list
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
not many changes so far. Surprising in some ways. Although with the removal of the caps, I wonder if we are intending to add some quality to that and see our squad depth increased. most of those are decent squad players and the basis of a decent promotion side with some key additions.
Interesting. So currently, every player that started against Accrington we want to keep... how disappointing.

It’s looking at this early stage that the rebuild has to wait for the contracted players to go.
I’d be disappointed if we offered Close and Williams new contracts. As for the ones who have 12 mths remaining sell the lot if possible
There it is in black and white; Tornante's lack of ambition as further evidenced by Cowley's appointment. Expect the next season to be much like the last.
Cannon the only notable player not to be offered a new contract so far, was he really the only/main villain of the piece ?
With the exception of the keeper, all the rest can fcuk off as far as I’m concerned as they are physically and mentally not strong enough.
We need pace and players who can match the physical teams when needed as well as play football and last but not least, play 2 up front and let the other teams worry about us.
Not encouraging that we are even talking to some of the others.

Think I might just find a sand dune in Dawlish to bury my head in this summer.
Feel a little sorry for Cannon. He always tried which can’t be said of some. Not looking like the major overhaul we were hoping for.
Brick by brick my hole!  Close (cant tackle) Naylor (cant pass) and don't get me started with Williams but Forest Gump comes to mind. 
If we are going to improve and move forward as a club, why are we even thinking of keeping any of these three?
(15-05-2021, 04:50 PM)BallymacashPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Brick by brick my hole!  Close (cant tackle) Naylor (cant pass) and don't get me started with Williams but Forest Gump comes to mind. 
If we are going to improve and move forward as a club, why are we even thinking of keeping any of these three?

Plenty of great midfielder players were useless at tackling ..Paul Scholes for example....why is that a criticism ? Criticise the managers who play him in a role where tackling is a prerequisite. Ditto Naylor, he is a good defender so let him defend without important passing responsibilities.
(15-05-2021, 04:59 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-05-2021, 04:50 PM)BallymacashPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Brick by brick my hole!  Close (cant tackle) Naylor (cant pass) and don't get me started with Williams but Forest Gump comes to mind. 

Plenty of great midfielder players were useless at tackling ..Paul Scholes for example....why is that a criticism ? Criticise the managers who play him in a role where tackling is a prerequisite. Ditto Naylor, he is a good defender so let him defend without important passing responsibilities.

You must be taking the piss Deep. Paul Scholes?! Wtf are you on about?! Naylor and Close are not good enough. What team have you been watching the last 4 years?
Ok, you are right.
Lets get their contracts negotiated as quickly as possible.
at least under contract we can sell them on for a fee if any club has any cash to spare.
(15-05-2021, 05:22 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-05-2021, 04:59 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

You must be taking the piss Deep. Paul Scholes?! Wtf are you on about?! Naylor and Close are not good enough. What team have you been watching the last 4 years?

Naylor was has been a contender for player of the season every year since he has been here..one of the defensive midfielders at breaking up play that you could wish for. If he could pass as well he'd be in the premiership.
Close is no superstar but a good passer of the ball and he suits the Cowley style of play so could well thrive under them. Who cares if he can't tackle that we'll, not his job.

More than happy for them both to stay.
2 Extracts from club website below:
Andy Cannon, Charlie Daniels, Jordy Hiwula, Bryn Morris, Taylor Seymour and Duncan Turnbull will all be departing.

Pompey are still in negotiations with Ben Close, Craig MacGillivray, Tom Naylor, Jack Whatmough and Ryan Williams, whose contracts expire over the summer.

Presumably that means that the latter six above have been retained and are negotiating new terms. Also it seems as if all the other first team squad are not going to be made available for transfer.  

All of the above strongly suggests that the outcry from the fans and the strong suggestions from the News sports journalists that the squad is to be 'rebuilt', 'torn up'', etc are a myth.  If that turns out to be the case then that will be a disgrace. 
Dark day that we are looking to renew Naylor and Williams.

We aren't serious about promotion are we?
The thought of another season of watching the headless chicken and someone who passes worse than Stevie Wonder is not inspiring.

Someone else who slags a player off without watching what he ACTUALLY does.

Some of our best performances of the season were prompted by Williams’ work ethic and ability to bring others into play, as well as scoring important goals and providing goal scoring opportunities.

Football doesn’t just consist of playing elegant passes and looking pretty, it involves a lot of hard work as well and Williams has never been found lacking in that department, unlike a few others I could mention.

Strange that a lot of good managers have seen the value if Williams but you have not isn’t it?

You can have all the good passers in the world and you will win absolutely feck all without players like Williams. That has been proved time and time again.
What happened to Whatmough's nailed on move to the Championship posted a few weeks ago?
This squad has failed to achieve promotion (or even a play off finish). So i'm sceptical that the same squad will achieve that under a new manager. I thought there was a character and desire problem within that squad.

Only caveat to that is, if the 8 players DC wants to bring in, are really good players. In which case, those 8 plus Mac, Whatmough and Curtis, could be a promotion side.
(15-05-2021, 01:50 PM)True blue feeling showing. Most of use feel the samebluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I’d be disappointed if we offered Close and Williams new contracts. As for the ones who have 12 mths remaining sell the lot if possible