TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Unjustifiably pessimistic or are we rudderless?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
- Picking our arse over Fratton Park
- 13 out of contract 
- can't retain our best out of contract player
- trying to resign Naylor, Williams
- questionable character rumoured to become new DoF
- new CEO coming in after new management team appointed

To add to the above, Bolton back in the mix next year, Wigan will have money and give it a go, Ipswich will have money and give it a go, storing sides in this year's play offs will still be in the division, Rotherham coming down and will be strong.

Top half finish would be good wouldn't it? Sad
Sheff Weds will be up there too. Gonna be a long old season....
I have no faith in the ownership to do anything other than remain in this league with a patched up stadium.

I hope they sell.
Pessimistic given that it looks like most of the players who gave me the worst three games I've ever seen in my 40 years watching Pompey (i.e. Salford, Swindon and Accrington) will be still around and up to now there doesn't seem to be any moves to clear them out.
Before everyone slashes their wrists how about giving the the Cowleys a chance and see how they get on?
(17-05-2021, 10:03 AM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]Before everyone slashes their wrists how about giving the the Cowleys a chance and see how they get on?

Spot on Tomsk, all these bedwetters soaking their sheets over players being released and offered new contracts at vastly reduced wages.

You want to see what the Twitter Dins are saying, some of them are teetering on the edge ffs !!
Especially Sunderland in next years promotion tussle if they don’t get promoted this year, the Dreyfus family have something like five or six times the vast wealth of Michael Eisner and the 21 year old Dreyfus who now owns Sunderland will probably be much more intent on building towards The Premiership than Tornante.

I am totally underwhelmed by events thus far, I hungrily await some really positive news on adding some quality to the side......but I’m not really expecting it (but live in hopes none the less).
God what a load of pessimistic gits you are ffs  Smile .

We have a club that is not on the verge of bankruptcy, has a well regarded management team, a new CEO who also has a good cv and hopefully fans will be allowed into grounds soon.

Wtf would you be like if you supported Rochdale ffs?

We have no divine right to be promoted but I think we are in with a good shout next year.

Have s couple of sherbets and cheer up ffs  Smile .
If the alarm bells aren't ringing, then i would suggest taking a look at some sobering info:

1: Out of the list of Expired Contract (EC) players, you would probably say only Craig and Jack would be the two you would want to keep. We are not keeping Craig. Bass wasnt good enough previously. We have had a season previously under Cookie with a dodgy keeper (behind a much better defense than we have now) and it wasnt pretty.

2: As a concerning stat, we are currently on course (excl Craig) to have the same starting XI that started the last game of the season. How is that a good thing?

3: Naylor & Close arent good enough as a central pairing. Defence is weakest its been in 4 seasons. Strike force is useless.

4: The players you would really want to get rid of still have Current Contracts (CC). Bolton, Downing, Raggett, Marquis, Harrison in particular are taking up spaces we desperately need improving upon.

5: Curtis is allegedly going round thumping Pompey fans. His attitude & weak mentality is already under question. What message does it send out (to both the player and fans) when this sort of thing is swept under the carpet?

in summary, we have problems all over the pitch and it looks like a lot of them are going to remain for next season.
Personally I’m really looking for to next season.Meeting up before the game with mates and several g & t’s, cheering on the lads from my seat in The Fratton End. New manager, new team , better tactics and hopefully promotion. What’s not to like
Pedalo ..how can you say we are on course for the same starting eleven ? They have said they are aiming at signing 8 new players. Let's wait until the transfer window at least opens before wetting the bed
(17-05-2021, 11:55 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Pedalo ..how can you say we are on course for the same starting eleven ? They have said they are aiming at signing 8 new players. Let's wait until the transfer window at least opens before wetting the bed

This was our starting XI

Mac G - Leaving
Johnson - Under contract
Downing - Under contract
Whatmough - Trying to retain
Brown - Under Contract
Naylor - Trying to retain
Close - Trying to retain
Harness - Under contract 
Williams - Trying to retain
Curtis - Under contract
Marquis - Under Contract

We have not transfer listed any of the under contract players and are actively trying to keep the others. There is a lot of hot air coming from the club but when you look at their actions, you can see that their efforts are going into retaining the same group of failures we are used to seeing.
(17-05-2021, 11:32 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]If the alarm bells aren't ringing, then i would suggest taking a look at some sobering info:

1: Out of the list of Expired Contract (EC) players, you would probably say only Craig and Jack would be the two you would want to keep. We are not keeping Craig. Bass wasnt good enough previously. We have had a season previously under Cookie with a dodgy keeper (behind a much better defense than we have now) and it wasnt pretty.

2: As a concerning stat, we are currently on course (excl Craig) to have the same starting XI that started the last game of the season. How is that a good thing?

3: Naylor & Close arent good enough as a central pairing. Defence is weakest its been in 4 seasons. Strike force is useless.

4: The players you would really want to get rid of still have Current Contracts (CC).  Bolton, Downing, Raggett, Marquis, Harrison in particular are taking up spaces we desperately need improving upon.

5: Curtis is allegedly going round thumping Pompey fans. His attitude & weak mentality is already under question. What message does it send out (to both the player and fans) when this sort of thing is swept under the carpet?

in summary, we have problems all over the pitch and it looks like a lot of them are going to remain for next season.

Spot on. I agree we have lots of crap players. I do not see us bringing any real quality players let alone 5+players. 99% of fans should agree our players are not fit to wear the Pompey shirt. Does anybody know how many years on DC contract?
Agreed that few of those that played against Accrington inspired confidence (in fact they were crap) but it might be that five or so good additions could put a rocket up their bottoms and improve both their play and attitude.
It’s footy though - you have to be glass half full.....
This Patch & Paint is a joke for FP - knock 3 sides down & builld around it or move elsewhere.

Great, time for a good clearout

Best out of contract player - ffs surely not Dracula McFlapper our great ?? Scottish goalkeeper - if he doesn't want to take a pay cut bin him HARD !!

Naylor looks like he is going, Willi Wombat is a headless chicken.

Yep, need a proper experienced DoF

No problem with CEO & new management team - need to get behind them.

Be positive - the Cowleys have a great record - get the city & supporters behind them. Exclamation
We need to resolve the situation with the current squad before we know financially where we can go with recruitment. When does the transfer window open?
We are not rudderless, but I am concerned about the volume of change occurring within the club in such a short space of time. New coaching set up (including academy), whole host of new players to replace those who's contracts have expired and now a new CEO. It is going to take time for the dust to settle and for new staff to find their feet on and off the pitch. I think it would be unrealistic to expect promotion next season. 

I am more worried about the calibre of player we are going to sign. Especially when you look at the decline in player quality following promotion 4 years ago. I sincerely hope this trend does not continue, but reading reports and listiening to interviews, it appears the Club are aiming to recover the losses suffered last season. So I can see us targetting out of contract league one and league two players, whilst trying to pick up a few bargains in the National leagues. Plus a few Championship loans perhaps. All well and good, but they must be better than what we have, although I have my doubts. I hope I am proved wrong!
Yes, i would be a miracle at this stage to be thinking we have a shot at promotion. Its a 2 year plan. Playoffs should be the aim this season. Auto's next.

The only way we will have budget to compete for top 2 is if we're allowed capacity crowds again. Its catch 22 because we wont be interest in watching the team if they are as pathetic as they were last season.
(18-05-2021, 12:20 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, i would be a miracle at this stage to be thinking we have a shot at promotion. Its a 2 year plan. Playoffs should be the aim this season. Auto's next.

The only way we will have budget to compete for top 2 is if we're allowed capacity crowds again. Its catch 22 because we wont be interest in watching the team if they are as pathetic as they were last season.

Blackpool seem to be doing pretty well despite having virtually no crowds for umpteen seasons.