TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Andy Cannon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently being courted by Hull and Preston in the Championship. Together with Bolton and Charlton in league one. 

It would appear Cannon is good enough for our promotion rivals and two teams in the league above, but surplus to requirements at Pompey?  Huh
He doesn't last an hour and runs around with his head down. He's a ball chaser not a ball player.
(25-05-2021, 08:23 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]He doesn't last an hour and runs around with his head down. He's a ball chaser not a ball player.

Very true. I think that is his agent talking him up.
Bolton is a far more likely destination than any of the above. 

He is a decent enough player, works hard, makes those around him work hard but very limited in his output and not good enough for a higher level IMO.
Agreed. I quite liked him until he lost his cool far too often, and that was probably just trying too hard. Would wish him well and I agree league one is his level but we need to get fresh blood in.
He also gave away far too many petty free kicks in the arc around the penalty area. These cost us more than once. But in saying that I would expect any decent manager to be able to drive that out of his game.
Don’t disagree with the above but do remember that Mark Hately was languishing in Coventry’s reserves and couldn’t get a game when Pompey came in for him on a very cheap transfer deal.

The rest is history including Coventry trying to wrench some extra cash from Pompey when he went for £ 1million.

Sometimes pastures new (particularly if a player finds himself transferred to a club with a perceptive coaching system) can work well for both player and new club.

I don’t think the term ‘Perceptive Coaching System’ is particularly applicable to Pompey for last four years, I can’t think of a player who has been radically improved by our coaching, most have simply remained the same or just developed their latent skills, I think some players have gone backwards especially Curtis.
(26-05-2021, 10:44 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Don’t disagree with the above but do remember that Mark Hately was languishing in Coventry’s reserves and couldn’t get a game when Pompey came in for him on a very cheap transfer deal.
That's not quite correct, Wighty.  The season before he signed for us Hateley had played almost 40 first team games for Coventry in the old first division.  I remember at the time we all thought it was a great signing by Bobby Campbell.
Apart from being completely factually wrong about Hateley that post is also harsh on the coaching. I would say Bass, Hanstrup, Whatmough, Clarke, Webster, Close, Hawkins and in particular Lowe were improved here and I would add Curtis to that list rather than exclude him. When we signed him he was raw and in no way ready for the Championship level. He is now.
(26-05-2021, 12:42 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Apart from being completely factually wrong about Hateley that post is also harsh on the coaching. I would say Bass, Hanstrup, Whatmough, Clarke, Webster, Close, Hawkins and in particular Lowe were improved here and I would add Curtis to that list rather than exclude him. When we signed him he was raw and in no way ready for the Championship level. He is now.

At the time of writing for Bass, Haunstrup, Whatmough, Webster and Close Pompey has been their first club so to have made it professionally there was no way they could have been viewed to have gone backwards could they?! You could argue the same for Clarke as he'd made just the five first team starts for Ipswich before moving to the club.

I'll grant you Lowe and Curtis but seriously Deep, if you're going to pick holes in other peoples' posts then try and add a bit of accuracy to your counter arguments.
(26-05-2021, 01:06 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-05-2021, 12:42 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Apart from being completely factually wrong about Hateley that post is also harsh on the coaching. I would say Bass, Hanstrup, Whatmough, Clarke, Webster, Close, Hawkins and in particular Lowe were improved here and I would add Curtis to that list rather than exclude him. When we signed him he was raw and in no way ready for the Championship level. He is now.

At the time of writing for Bass, Haunstrup, Whatmough, Webster and Close Pompey has been their first club so to have made it professionally there was no way they could have been viewed to have gone backwards could they?!  You could argue the same for Clarke as he'd made just the five first team starts for Ipswich before moving to the club.

I'll grant you Lowe and Curtis but seriously Deep, if you're going to pick holes in other peoples' posts then try and add a bit of accuracy to your counter arguments.

Really ?  Are you really saying young players cannot go backwards after breaking through to the first team ? 

And I'd add Burgess to my list ... he was definitely a better player when he left than when he joined. And going back further Enda Stevens too.   As a club I'd say we have a pretty decent record of improving players.
Andy Cannon has completed a move to Championship Hull City this morning.

Good luck to the lad.
(16-06-2021, 10:14 AM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Andy Cannon has completed a move to Championship Hull City this morning.

Good luck to the lad.

Squad cover at best.

No ill feelings, put a shift in and gave a shit, good luck to him.
Not surprised he's gone to the Championship. The only midfielder capable of driving us forward last season, will be interesting to see how he performs when not surrounded by dross.
So who will we replace him with?
Cannon is a good player, no doubt about that at all.

He wanted a move back up North and he’s got a good move.

I thank him for his efforts on our behalf and wish him all the best.
Rather too many released Pompey players are proving very attractive to other decent clubs. What could possibly be the explanation?
That the new management didn't deem them up to scratch in the areas they think to be important? Such as fitness, passing, movement etc?

This happens every season to every club. Player move on. Why are we suddenly special? Why the panic?
Just signed for Hull in the Championship.
12 days to pre season training and we have around 13 players, one of whom is injured, one trying to be sold, 3 youngsters who are never going to play and no midfielders. There's a lot to do.. going to be an exciting 12 days I hope!
If we don’t make any new signings before the start of pre-season in 12 days time, then there would be reason for concern. Until then, no one should panic... keep the faith!
There’s no need to panic even at the end of July. I reckon most business will be done by the middle of July with a few stragglers going into August
I didn't really rate Cannon. During the run-in I was absolutely fuming at some of his half-hearted efforts at tracking back, tackling and giving away free kicks. He checked out straight after the Wigan game.

He can play well in spells but im not too worried that he's gone. If Hull want to take a gamble on him, i wish them luck.
(16-06-2021, 04:37 PM)I do not rate much of the crap contract players left. I hope that DC can get at least a load of decent loaners for us to scape a so called team.Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't really rate Cannon. During the run-in I was absolutely fuming at some of his half-hearted efforts at tracking back, tackling and giving away free kicks. He checked out straight after the Wigan game.

He can play well in spells but im not too worried that he's gone. If Hull want to take a gamble on him, i wish them luck.