TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Brentford
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Our club is going backwards.

It looks like the Eisners have recognised this by shifting Catlin on and getting someone else in. It looks like they are sticking with the same plan and are changing the personnel to do it.

The naivety & greed to go after the cups when we had an actual chance of promotion should have cost Catlin & Kenny their positions. Madness to chase a 1M payday when promotion to Championship is a 10M payday.

Our player transfer policy has been awful. We have let our best talent go and consistently replaced them with worse players. We have also got our contract renewals all in a muddle so we have players we cant get rid of and players we cant keep hold of. Its a masterclass of how to fuck up squad planning.
(31-05-2021, 12:24 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Our club is going backwards.

It looks like the Eisners have recognised this by shifting Catlin on and getting someone else in. It looks like they are sticking with the same plan and are changing the personnel to do it.

The naivety & greed to go after the cups when we had an actual chance of promotion should have cost Catlin & Kenny their positions. Madness to chase a 1M payday when promotion to Championship is a 10M payday.

Our player transfer policy has been awful. We have let our best talent go and consistently replaced them with worse players.  We have also got our contract renewals all in a muddle so we have players we cant get rid of and players we cant keep hold of. Its a masterclass of how to fuck up squad planning.

What did Catlin have to do with going for the cups ?   Surely you are not suggesting he interfered with the football side of the club, or are you saying he should have ?  Both would be equally wrong. 

Agree with some of the rest, but the main point of this thread is that not panicking and abandoning the plan when one season shows regression rather than progress is exactly what we are praising Brentford for.
What did Catlin have to do with going for the cups?

Let me answer your question with a question - Who's job is it to set out the Manager's incentives and KPI's?

Id argue that it has been 2 seasons of regression. Hopefully we can stop the rot but i think there are a few on here who have underestimated the huge task we currently have, to become competitive for next season.

My hope is to see some sort of coherence and strategy on the pitch. FIT players who understand their roles, who can pass to another blue shirt. Id like to see improvement as the season progresses. Pre season will tell us a lot about how the year is going to go.
So what you are saying is that Catlin told Jackett to focus on the cups rather than promotion ? 

What possible evidence could you have to back up that claim ?
No, thats not what i said. I said: Who's job is it to set out the Manager's incentives and KPI's?
(31-05-2021, 05:29 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]No, thats not what i said. I said: Who's job is it to set out the Manager's incentives and KPI's?

Who says football managers get set KPIs ? 

Can you imagine tellling Alex Ferguson what he should be doing ? 

Incentives ? yes, most of them are probably on a bonus for promotion but do you really think Jackett was incented to win the cups ?
double post nt
(31-05-2021, 09:24 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I think you’re living on a different planet if you think football clubs should hire a manager and then just leave them to it, like they are untouchable or something.

You don’t think they have a boss? You think a club should  hand over a budget of £3M and say “Good luck Kenny, talk again in May” ?

To be fair, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pompey did just that, such was the lack of leadership the last few seasons.
(31-05-2021, 09:27 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-05-2021, 09:24 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I think you’re living on a different planet if you think football clubs should hire a manager and then just leave them to it, like they are untouchable or something.

You don’t think they have a boss? You think a club should  hand over a budget of £3M and say “Good luck Kenny, talk again in May” ?

To be fair, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pompey did just that, such was the lack of leadership the last few seasons.

No ,they hire a manager, have a discussion about how much money they need to achieve whaever target the club thinks is realistic, negotiate that figure down to to what is available, and then yes, they leave them to it without interfering in the footballing side at all beyond handling the admin of transfers that the manager chooses.  

How many manaager's autobiographies have you read that included any mention of KPIs ? How many press reports of what KPIs a manager has been set ??   None, that's how  many.  Football clubs do not operate like corporate businesses. 

But you haven't answered the question ... do you really think Catlin incented Jackett to do well in the cups rather than concentrate on promotion ?  Because that it was you seem to be claiming happened.
Pages: 1 2