TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Letting players go
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How many players have we previously let go who have stayed at about our level and have actually gone on to great things? 
Obviously, over many years some have gone on and up to play at a very high level.
All that have gone so far are staying at this level or below. All those who have done that of late have hardly set the world on fire (as far as I can recall)
Edna?
One of quite a few great signings back in Cook's time who went on and up.
Who was in charge of recruitment then?
Did Kenny sign any such gems?
All the last few transferred on seem to have carried on being mediocre
I'm tempted to say "Arthur" Lowe but I don't recall who signed him.
(08-06-2021, 06:40 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]I'm tempted to say "Arthur" Lowe but I don't recall who signed him.

Cook signed Lowe, but it would be churlish not to give KJ most of the credit for developing him.

The closest to meeting Hammie's requirements is probably Conor Chaplin, pretty sure Coventry were league one at the time they signed him and he doubled his fee and moved up to the Championship and has done pretty well there.
I think there's a difference between players we let go because we weren't desperate to keep them or actively released them, and those who left with the aim of bettering themselves (or at least making themselves wealthier). Edna would be in the latter category, Dan Butler the former.
Burgess is now a Belgian top flight player.
Chaplin?
interesting responses, which I agree with.
I guess going along with my point that we have not lost many "Good" players of late
they've been average league one performers who have gone to average league one clubs at best.

Maybe why the management is being ripped apart to make room for a new set up that might produce players who can grow and improve as per the big idea blueprint.