TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Our new CEO Andy Cullen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Very quiet isn't he? Not heard a peep from him since he took over from Catlin last week. You would of thought he would have introduced himself via the OS, such as an interview Johnny Moore or the snooze? We were told one of his strengths was communication?!
Probably embarrassed at his former club beating his new club to the signature of Scott Twine
Keeping out of the firing line most likely. That said a few reassuring words from our CEO might have a calming effect on the growing number of supporters concerned at the current situation and the apparent lack of progress in rebuilding the playing squad.
He is taking a couple of weeks off after leaving MKD before starting, IIRC he doesn't start until 14th June.....can't blame him really, probably won't get much time off once he starts.
Good idea. Best to give everyone else a 2 week head start in the window.
(10-06-2021, 12:03 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Good idea. Best to give everyone else a 2 week head start in the window.

Don't panic, you arn't  Corporal Jones in disguise are you or do you need a new mattress ?
(10-06-2021, 08:33 AM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-06-2021, 12:03 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Good idea. Best to give everyone else a 2 week head start in the window.

Don't panic, you arn't  Corporal Jones in disguise are you or do you need a new mattress ?
Exterm, while I'm not panicking you have to look at our track record over the last 4 years including league position. Most of the players we've signed have not been up to scratch and we can't even keep the ones we want. IMHO if the new CEO is taking a break at the very time we should be negotiating deals for players it doesn't look very good. However we will know where we are at the end of July, but I have a feeling we're going to continue to be disappointed.
I'm sure the old CEO is still holding the reins until AC comes in. It doesn't take a genius to work that out.
New mattresses anyone.
Interesting quote from Ryan Williams interview after joining Oxford. He said 'Oxford were a team with ambition'. What does that say about us? We are certainly a team in transition, but are we just going to make up the numbers next year? The club really need to make a public statement about what the intentions are for the season ahead. Auto's? Playoffs? Top half finish? Finish above the bottom 4?

The silence is deafening and the fans really need some reassurance about what to expect going into 2022. That has to come from the CEO ideally. So come on Andy, don't be shy. 
(10-06-2021, 09:54 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure the old CEO is still holding the reins until AC comes in. It doesn't take a genius to work that out.
New mattresses anyone.

Andy Cullen joined the club on 14 May and took the reigns from Catlin on 1 June. All confirmed on the OS...

Andrew Cullen Appointed Pompey CEO - News - Portsmouth (portsmouthfc.co.uk)
(10-06-2021, 10:10 AM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting quote from Ryan Williams interview after joining Oxford. He said 'Oxford were a team with ambition'. What does that say about us? We are certainly a team in transition, but are we just going to make up the numbers next year? The club really need to make a public statement about what the intentions are for the season ahead. Auto's? Playoffs? Top half finish? Finish above the bottom 4?

The silence is deafening and the fans really need some reassurance about what to expect going into 2022. That has to come from the CEO ideally. So come on Andy, don't be shy. 

‘The fans really need some reassurance’.

Do they?

I don’t, and most of the people I know don’t.

I’m prepared to wait until the season starts and we see how the team performs.

I can’t really see the point of complaining about something that hasn’t happened yet.

I’m sure the new CEO has more important things to do than ‘reassure’ the faint of heart so early in his tenure.

‘Patience is bitter, but it’s fruit is sweet’ - Aristotle.  Smile
(10-06-2021, 10:10 AM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting quote from Ryan Williams interview after joining Oxford. He said 'Oxford were a team with ambition'. What does that say about us?

Ryan Williams in praising new club he's just joined shocker.

It says nothing about us. He did say they were more ambitious than when he had his first spell there. 

In the last 8 head to heads the results have gone WLDDDLW - so pretty even.

Probably says we're as ambitious as Oxford if anything.

Don't panic.
I recall Brett Pitman saying something very similar when he joined Swindon - didn't end well for STFC did it?

Maybe he and Williams use the same agent to 'manage' their comments when they sign for a new club?
The ‘‘team with ambition’ have just signed Ryan Williams.

Deebo

The paradox is that they wouldn't be signing the Lightweight if they had any ambition. Still waiting for the West Stand to be built since moving in during the 20th century and a fan base that is quite happy to go on record as not wanting promotion.
It seems to me that Mr Cullen needs to come on board PDQ with the club appearing to be rudderless currently and the natives restless, not to mention the wall of silence from the owner. Firstly he needs to give us fans some reassurance in the interim and lay out our plans on recruitment
Don’t know why anybody would expect immediate action from Cullen, he is just another General Manager (I love the grandiose title of CEO being applied to a Company with a turnover of less than £20 Million) who will do the bidding of his owner, no more, no less. With a Closed Ltd Company that’s the way it is, Eisner will have set Cullen similar objectives as Catlin, something along the lines of:

* Pompey must be entirely self sufficient in operating cash terms, no recourse to owners funds but with an Operating Overdraft (secured on Pompey’s assets) of c. £250,000 available but a bonus to Cullen of say £25,000 for not breaching more than the £25,000 level. All employees will report to Cullen.

* Cowley and his team will report to Cullen and he must sign off on any player expenditure (countersigned by one other), the playing expectations are such that ensures PFC can sell 14,000 Season tickets per season and Merchadising and Sponsorship to a level which ensures that Portsmouth FC are financially self sufficient. Cullen will have a bonus payable should operating profit be above a certain targeted level.

* Cullen to be responsible for day to day care of the ground but no more, PR to be within his remit and with a requirement for a positive spin on all things Pompey.

That’s pretty typical of small company operation, lots of verbose language to pad the contract out but the essence is ‘meet my key requirements above and your secure and will prosper (after a fashion)’.

Absolutely nothing wrong with an owner setting out his stall, I always did it with my own Directors and Managers so they knew exactly how they were being measured.

Cullen is probably taking his time trying to come to terms with what he has inherited, figuring out what to change and what to change it to. I wish him all the luck he is going to need, much of the die is cast- he has The Cowleys already in place for good or bad, the ground is the ground, his room for manoeuvre is limited.....it’s a real test of his ability to be intrapreneurial within the closed confines of PFC.
(10-06-2021, 12:49 PM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]It seems to me that Mr Cullen needs to come on board PDQ with the club appearing to be rudderless currently and the natives restless, not to mention the wall of silence from the owner. Firstly he needs to give us fans some reassurance in the interim and lay out our plans on recruitment

There’s that word ‘reassurance’ again, you’ll be asking for counselling  next.

When did Pompey fans become so fragile that they need reassurance before the season has even started?
I appreciate that the strategy this year is to not spend money so there aren’t any reassurances they can give. Even if the plan was to spend (obviously not happening) they wouldn’t be saying anything.

We just have to see how it all pans out but they’re off to an awful start.
Cullen doesn't begin his job at Pompey for another three days.

Bit early to be calling him shit.
Whoever is holding the reigns is doing a shit job.
(10-06-2021, 06:22 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Whoever is holding the reigns is doing a shit job.

Are they ? looks to me like they are doing a decent job of clearing the decks. Only when the have finished doing that will we know how much we have got to spend.
Agreed. See the YouTube clip on the other thread.

Mind you DC does come across as more than a tad OCD!
(10-06-2021, 06:22 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Whoever is holding the reigns is doing a shit job.

Well I think you're an impatient sh!t supporter, I want, I want, I can't wait, I can't wait wail, wail, wail - put a sock in it ffs you wazzock !!
Alright, I’ll give it a rest. I guess I’ve laboured my point enough. You do have to wonder what’s going on when:

A: The manager isnt allowed to make his squad retention choices
B: The person who is supposed to be running the show naffs off for 2 weeks at the most important part of the year.

I’m not demanding signings, just wingeing about the continued basic fuckups going on at the club.

I’ll give it a rest now though
Pages: 1 2