TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Fratton Park Stadium Redevelopment announced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Works to start immediately and will take 4 years. Capacity will be over 20,000. Details all on the OS:

Fratton Park Stadium Redevelopment - News - Portsmouth (portsmouthfc.co.uk)
Can't find a planning application on PCC to see what's being done but clearly staying where we are and not rotating stadium.
For a few years anyway ....
(14-06-2021, 09:24 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Can't find a planning application on PCC to see what's being done but clearly staying where we are and not rotating stadium.

Sounds like only the Milton End needs planning permission, and that was granted when the plans were published with all those pictures months ago.   No mention of British Rail this time, which is interesting, but perhaps why that stand is being done last. 

Bit concerned about interim closures and the vagueness of the final capacity target which seems to lack a bit of ambition. 

Bet Cullen can't believe his luck, getting an announcement like this to make on his first day.
(14-06-2021, 10:02 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Bet Cullen can't believe his luck, getting an announcement like this to make on his first day.

Yeah, because no one at Pompey thought to hold this info back so that it coincided with Cullen's first day on the job...  Rolleyes
(14-06-2021, 09:09 AM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Works to start immediately and will take 4 years. Capacity will be over 20,000. Details all on the OS:

Fratton Park Stadium Redevelopment - News - Portsmouth (portsmouthfc.co.uk)

Hardly redevelopment is it?

More like maintenance and a bit of tarting up.

Suits me though, I’m happy to stay at Fratton.

The way Boris is caving to the ‘lock us all up forever’ brigade though, the capacity will not be tested for some time yet.
So does anyone know exactly what is happening and when other than "over four seasons"?
How much of this 'redevelopment' is in fact necessary on safety grounds for the ground to be able to open?
'over 20,00' well what is it then? 21,000, 25,000, 29,000???

Sounds like a cheap tart up to me, and will keep us in the lower leagues for the next 50 years.
(14-06-2021, 10:02 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-06-2021, 09:24 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Can't find a planning application on PCC to see what's being done but clearly staying where we are and not rotating stadium.

Sounds like only the Milton End needs planning permission, and that was granted when the plans were published with all those pictures months ago.   No mention of British Rail this time, which is interesting, but perhaps why that stand is being done last. 

Bit concerned about interim closures and the vagueness of the final capacity target which seems to lack a bit of ambition. 

Bet Cullen can't believe his luck, getting an announcement like this to make on his first day.

We remain in dialogue with local government about much needed infrastructure improvements in the local vicinity to facilitate access to the stadium along the key transportation routes to Fratton Park. This remains a core strategic objective towards realising our ultimate ambitions for Fratton Park and the surrounding area.

Pompey chairman Michael Eisner said: “Significant investment has already taken place over the past few years to keep the stadium safe, including keeping the South and North stand open. During this i think the first pwragraph above covers Brit rail period, both in terms of a requirement of investment into infrastructure, strategic asset purchases, and Covid losses, £10 million has already been spent, along with a further commitment from myself for these works of an additional £10 million.

First paragraph cover brit rail i think.

Second says Eisners are putting extra cash into the club.
(14-06-2021, 11:20 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]So does anyone know exactly what is happening and when other than "over four seasons"?

From what I read into it, works are only being carried out to three stands, North, South and Milton End. I read somewhere (when proposals were initially released) the Milton End would cost £6m. That leaves £4m to spend on the North and South stands. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things. Although I suspect this is being earmarked for corporate facilities, means of fire escape improvements and bars etc.

Caitlin did mention previously that a new North stand would cost circa £25-30m. So this looks like it is certainly not part of the current proposals. Nor are we going to do anything with the Fratton End. I thought the whole reason we kept 13m behind the FE (as part of the Tesco deal) was to extend it? Again not included in what has been published today. 

So what are the long plans??? Stay at Fratton? Maintain current orientation or rotate 90 degrees (best option IMHO) or build a new stadium elsewhere?
If this work is taking 4 years I would suggest this is it. What's the point in building a new Milton end just to move to a new stadium.

Bitterly disappointed and I wish we hadn't agreed to Eisner buying the club if this is the sum of his ambition.
Eisners would have been in charge for 8 years when this is complete (if they stay the course) if this is all we get to show for them years,it's pretty underwhelming
Unfortunately I don’t think FP can be completely revamped/ redeveloped to give us the modern 30000 seater FP we’d all like. We need to move , preferably across the road to the B & Q site but with a lack of Network Rail and PCC funding it looks like it ain’t happening
(14-06-2021, 01:23 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately I don’t think FP can be completely revamped/ redeveloped to give us the modern 30000 seater FP we’d all like. We need to move , preferably across the road to the B & Q site but with a lack of Network Rail and PCC funding it looks like it ain’t happening

the modern 30000 seater FP we’d all like’.

Speak for yourself, there are plenty who don’t want that.

I’ll take the 30,000 but you can stick your ‘modern stadium’ where the sun don’t shine. Most of them are glossy, overpriced, characterless holes and we need one like a hole in the head.
Gaff, modern doesn’t have to mean Flatpack, we can still have atmosphere , keep the pitch close but we could have modern facilities like decent toilets/ food and drink facilities , better entry/ exit ‘ turnstiles’ , wi-Fi, seats etc . Whether we like it our not us oldies have to move with the times for better( hopefully) or worse
Looks like we are staying at Fratton for the foreseeable. You wouldn’t spend 10M to then move.

Trying to understand the numbers mentioned on here, there may be a glimmer of hope that 20,000 isn’t the sum of The Eisners ambition. If Milton end is costing 6M then 1M a season to maintain Norf & sarf stands is probably about right?

If Milton End is the first piece of the puzzle, it would make sense to crack on with it whilst preparing for other expansions.

It also seems like the 20k number is phase 1 of the project whilst they haggle (unsuccessfully) with network rail et al about infrastructure. These 2 paragraphs give me some optimism that eventually we will get a bigger fratton park:

“While this work is being undertaken, there will unfortunately be cuts to our existing capacity, with numbers to be confirmed. However, on completion, the overall capacity of the ground will rise above 20,000.

We remain in dialogue with local government about much needed infrastructure improvements in the local vicinity to facilitate access to the stadium along the key transportation routes to Fratton Park. This remains a core strategic objective towards realising our ultimate ambitions for Fratton Park and the surrounding area.”

Clutching at straws?
This sounds like a worrying lack of ambition, if Eisner can’t do the job properly, he should have the decency to find a buyer for the club who can.
He talks the talk, we know the rest...
(14-06-2021, 01:34 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Gaff, modern doesn’t have to mean Flatpack, we can still have atmosphere , keep the pitch close but we could have modern facilities  like decent toilets/ food and drink facilities , better entry/ exit ‘ turnstiles’ , wi-Fi, seats etc . Whether we like it our not us oldies have to move with the times for better( hopefully) or worse

There you have it bluegtagagain, ‘decent toilets / food and drink facilities’ ‘wi-if’, seats etc.’.

I don’t go to the football for the bogs, the food or the wi-fi (why the feck do you need wi-fi?), I go to watch the match. As for the seats, you spend most of the time standing up where I ‘sit’, so who really gives a feck about the seat?

All you really need is a decent pitch, decent floodlights and a roof to keep the rain off. The food and drink in grounds is always average and overpriced, so I usually patronise local hostelries instead. Actually we could do with some decent real ales but that is a pipe dream methinks  Smile .

I don’t know why some of the younger element bother going to the match, they miss the start and end of both halves buying food and drink, then spend most of the match on their mobiles taking selfies or fecking posting on one social media site or another.

It should be: pub, match, pub IMO  Smile .
For once I’m in complete agreement with Guff…….
I think part of this 'vision' is wanting the club to stay true to its uniqueness - and that means Fratton Park in more or less its present form. Picking up on the point made earlier, the modern stadiums are devoid of character and this will provide some continuity to our heritage. It's not ambitious nor development in a real sense of the word, more maintenance and sprucing, but at least it will still be Pompey as we recognise the club.
In the current situation for all businesses, I'm quite happy with this. At least this set of owners have already and will continue to spend money on the ground. I'm most interested in what they plan for the North Stand which is definitely showing its age and poor design as compared to the South.
I am lost for words !!!  Am I reading this right ?  We  are going to take four years to have a capacity of just over 20,000.  Is it April 1 ?  This is a joke following on from the announcement that the Milton end will be completely refurbished  but only have a few hundred more seats. When you see far lesser clubs with new stadiums it makes your blood boil.   If there was real ambition from the current owner who is supposedly a billionaire we would see plans that a club of our stature should have. We are even having to shop in the bargain basement for new players. It's soul destroying  and embarrassing whats happening  at our club.
The Club is a big embarrassing pile of dung.
If this is the banging news about the stadium we've all been waiting for, I really don't fancy our chances of putting a decent squad together.
Pages: 1 2 3 4