TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: U23 and Youth upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not.happening which is disappointing especially as we keep getting told about developing our youth players etc. Very short sighted by Pompey and the Eisners IMO. It would only cost a £1M , even Fleetwood can manage it.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...us-3272349
Getting more depressed by every bit of summer news! Even Fleetwood have more foresight than us it seems.
Q. Do Pompey still have a youth academy.
A. Yes

Q. Do Pompey still have good youth coaches who are improving youngsters and also their own coaching abilities
A. Yes

Q. Can we currently afford the $1 million plus it would take to move from Cat 3 to Cat 2
A. No

Q. Are a vocal minority of fans needlessly doing down the club at every opportunity. Should they take a break from this, chill and just wait for the start of the season.
A. Yes.
(16-06-2021, 08:36 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Q. Do Pompey still have a youth academy.
A. Yes

Q. Do Pompey still have good youth coaches who are improving youngsters and also their own coaching abilities
A. Yes

Q. Can we currently afford the $1 million plus it would take to move from Cat 3 to Cat 2
A. No

Q. Are a vocal minority of fans needlessly doing down the club at every opportunity. Should they take a break from this, chill and just wait for the start of the season.
A. Yes.

Needlessly doing down the club = calling out substandard governance. Grow a pair and stop being scared of upsetting them. Customer feedback is vital to any business. they handled Disney, they can handle us. You're cowering from Tornante like a battered house wife
I honestly can't see the problem with expressing concern over issues. It is a matter of concern that we seem to be being overtaken in many areas by clubs who, with no disrespect intended, we should be ahead of. Fleetwood upgrading youth set-up while we seem to have dismantled most of ours seems a worry although I appreciate I haven't kept totally on top of the news of late. Do we have good coaches that are developing our youngsters? I have no idea. Does anyone? Do we have a youth set-up? Well, in name, yes. Does it have any players? Can we afford $1 million.. well that's an argument for the owners. They can afford it of course, but they may not feel it is a good use of money under current circumstances. Are fans needlessly doing down the club etc.. well maybe some do but this thread is surely just stating a genuine worry. I stand by my comment. I am not seeing much positive news so far this summer. Let's hope for better in the last 3 weeks before pre-season. PUP
"Stop being scared of upsetting them"
"You're cowering from Tornante like a battered house wife"
Have a word with yourself. Do you honestly think Tornante give a fig for your substandard understanding of the simplest financial constraints the club has. Why would you think I'd be scared of upsetting them? Do they have something on me I don't know about? Do you ever actually read what you type before posting - it's the most tedious drivel.

"I honestly can't see the problem with expressing concern over issues."
Neither can I when it comes from a position of knowledge. But when it comes from total ignorance and lack of understanding about how things really work then it's just a demonstration of stupidity.

Goodness knows why some people need constant reassurance and hand-holding about a football club. It's a bit weak.
(16-06-2021, 09:46 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]"Stop being scared of upsetting them"
"You're cowering from Tornante like a battered house wife"
Have a word with yourself. Do you honestly think Tornante give a fig for your substandard understanding of the simplest financial constraints the club has. Why would you think I'd be scared of upsetting them? Do they have something on me I don't know about? Do you ever actually read what you type before posting - it's the most tedious drivel.

"I honestly can't see the problem with expressing concern over issues."
Neither can I when it comes from a position of knowledge. But when it comes from total ignorance and lack of understanding about how things really work then it's just a demonstration of stupidity.

Goodness knows why some people need constant reassurance and hand-holding about a football club. It's a bit weak.

So now we arrive at the true nature of the post: you want to have a go at fans who aren't happy with how things are being managed, you mistake displeasure for mental fortitude and you think you're clever, which means you think anyone who disagrees with you is stupid.

Good for you!
Some really deep insights there, all totally wrong. Standard.

It's just whinging and whining for the sake of it, often backed up with, at best, spurious evidence and usually based in ignorance.

If people are unhappy because they need hand holding throughout the entire transfer window perhaps they shouldn't follow football. If they want to comment on financial matters, they should have an understanding of what they are talking about before saying anything. It's all just bluster backed up with nothing.

Hardly anyone who has a complaint ever has a viable alternative solution. They just want things to magically be different.
Will one of you bright sparks moaning about cat 2 academies like to go and compare the cost of building an indoor dome in Fleetwood, Lancashire against in Portsmouth. Whilst the materials will cost the same, what about the land. That's before finding a suitable location and then getting planning.

I could easily buy 4 houses the size of mine for the same cost up there.

But nah, it's just easier to say "Throw money at it".
It's not whinging for the sake of it though is it. The first team needed a cull and that's what's happening,we needed a new management team and we got that. Well done Pompey. We need ground improvements until we get a new or rebuilt home,well done Pompey.
However, we have constantly been told we need a good youth set up and a development squad team,we have been told this for the last 4 seasons. The Youth set up has been culled,we are not having an U23/development team, we are not upgrading the youth set up .( £1M pounds for the Eisners/Tornate is loose change). This problem with the youth set up is not what was promised.

Other than that I'm happy how things are going (especially now Jackett has gone). Hardly whinging, plus the youth /U23 blurb I posted is Factual ,it was in the News and came from FP, should we only report and read good news.

I suppose teeftwo you also believe the Old testament is true.
Good luck whinging about whingers though.
(16-06-2021, 12:05 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]It's not whinging for the sake of it though is it. The first team needed a cull and that's what's happening,we needed a new management team and we got that. Well done Pompey. We need ground improvements until we get a new or rebuilt home,well done Pompey.
However, we have constantly been told we need a good youth set up and a development squad team,we have been told this for the last 4 seasons. The Youth set up has been culled,we are not having an U23/development team, we are not upgrading the youth set up .( £1M pounds for the Eisners/Tornate is loose change). This problem with the youth set up is not what was promised.

Other than that I'm happy how things are going (especially now Jackett has gone). Hardly whinging, plus  the youth /U23 blurb I posted is Factual ,it was in the News and came from FP, should we only report and read good news.

I suppose teeftwo you also believe the Old testament is true.
Good luck whinging about whingers  though.

Are you saying the Old Testament isn’t true ffs?  Smile
£1 million is loose change. What an absurd statement when talking about a set up we know is aiming for being self sustaining. There has already been a massive injection of capital for the ground improvements announced in the last few days. But it's never enough is it.

And yes, I read the article. In it Greg Miller said "Let’s take Fleetwood, who are moving to Category Two this summer and are building an indoor dome costing them in excess of £1m." So that's in excess of £1 million just for the dome. No mention of the costs of acquiring the land to build the thing on, getting the planning, the difference in the cost of land which is the very point I made. Or do you suppose Greg is an expert on land acquisition as well as the best way to coach youngsters towards a football career?

As an aside, based on pure finance, how much money has Pompey's youth setup ever made. How many first team prospects have been created. Who has gone on to make money based on transfer fees. And then set that against the cost of running the academy. Or, in fact, pick any academy outside of the premier league.

The success rate for football academies in the UK is 0.012%. With those sorts of levels that's a big risk to move from Cat 3 to Cat 2. Given the massive setups of the big clubs, both here and abroad, it'd make more sense to take players who didn't quite make it there and bring them in later when all the expensive work has pretty much been done. Do you need cat 2 for that?
Let’s not bother with anything then , just have 22 first team players and fark the rest. It’s not about making lots of profit , it’s about local / county kids and Pompey’ ability to attract them. Now we’ve acquired ROKO ( another good things, well done Pompey), maybe they’ll build an indoor dome, they could recoup the money by hiring it out when not in use ). I still say £1-1.5M is loose change to the Eisners. It’s speculating to accumulate. They’ll get their money back when they sell.
Sorry Gaff apparently the OT is a load of old made up tosh, but whatever you do do not let any fundamental Christian or Jewish chaps know

Deebo

There will be a weeping and wailing and a gnashing of teeth. And a grizzling and whingeing and venting of evil humours. But all will be well saith the Lord.

Lamentations 13:7
When did Pompey purchase Roko? Must have missed that one?
the buying of Roko is wonderful news and hopefully makes a lot of the comments above out of date within a reasonable timescale. Just need to find out if this is the long term plot for a new ground or if the buying of land around Fratton Park is a stealthy lead into a properly upgraded Fratton Park and a decent training facility both on Portsea Island.
It certainly gives Pompey a plan B and leverage if they are trying to strong arm PCC/Network Rail into handouts for bridges in Fratton.
PCC/Network Rail into handouts for bridges in Fratton.
tell them the new ground is going there so Hilsea Halt is going to be handling 20,000 fans!
Fratton station is perfect with such limited improvements required really
(16-06-2021, 03:03 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Let’s not bother with anything then , just have 22 first team players and fark the rest. It’s not about making lots of profit , it’s about local / county kids and Pompey’ ability to attract them. Now we’ve acquired ROKO ( another good things, well done Pompey), maybe they’ll build an indoor dome, they could recoup the money by hiring it out when not in use ). I still say £1-1.5M is loose change to the Eisners. It’s speculating to accumulate. They’ll get their money back when they sell.

Do you really think we can compete for the best or even ok local talent against a backdrop of not only premier league Academies but also European ones. We'd be spending millions for what particular reason? You need to detach your emotion from this and look at the reality of what the academy situation is in this country. Take a step back, weigh up the facts and look at what best serves us right now.

The Eisner's have many business concerns and I'm fairly sure they have a better idea of what makes a sound business investment than you or I and where the money is best spent. Right now the focus is on the ground and the training base.

Colchester have a cat 2 academy, they finished 20th in league 2. So do Crewe, 12th in League 1. There are only 21 Cat 2 academies and most are in the championship. Aside from the U23's playing in a higher league what advantages does Cat 2 bring us exactly? At our level we should have U23's pushing into the first team and they should be part of the main squad. Cat 2 does not mean success.
The core requirements for a Category 2 academy are as follows:

• Indoor Football area (dome that has been mentioned)
  • An outdoor 3G floodlit pitch (there is one present I believe)
  • Grass pitches (more than what we have currently)
  • Classroom space (extension and or alteration to exisitng health club)
  • Office space (ditto)
The key to fulfilling these requirements is that the Academy has to have guaranteed and exclusive use of these facilities during the times they are needed to run the varous programmes and training sessions. 

What is important to note, is that maintaining a Category 2 Academent takes a big committment from any football club.
Seems sensible then to get these facilities and also put them to work. Everyone wins. Pompey tick the boxes, and can therefore attract better talent.
General public get additional facilities when not being used by the club.