TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Muted Celebrations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't get me wrong - it's great that England are doing so well and everyone's so upbeat about our prospects.

However, so many of the celebrations that appear on social media are naff. The youth of today are so fixated about using their mobile phones to record everything they do that they struggle to celebrate wildly.

In the days of 'Knees up Mother Brown', we had proper bundles on the terraces. Had mobiles been around back then most would have been smashed every game. It sometimes took 10 minutes or more to find all your mates after a bundle or a goal.
(05-07-2021, 09:50 AM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get me wrong - it's great that England are doing so well and everyone's so upbeat about our prospects.

However, so many of the celebrations that appear on social media are naff. The youth of today are so fixated about using their mobile phones to record everything they do that they struggle to celebrate wildly.

In the days of 'Knees up Mother Brown', we had proper bundles on the terraces. Had mobiles been around back then most would have been smashed every game. It sometimes took 10 minutes or more to find all your mates after a bundle or a goal.

Dead right PID  Smile .

Some of the terrace crowds I’ve been in were so packed that you could hardly breathe, yet when Pompey scored you miraculously ended up miles away from where you started. Happy days.

Mobile phones have turned most of today’s youth into a bunch of prancing narcissists, not all of them thankfully.

Why would you want to film yourself celebrating ffs? If you are concentrating on your selfie, you’re not really celebrating are you? You are ‘performing’ so you can admire yourself on a social media site afterwards.

Self obsessed doesn’t even come close to describing it.
Posers. Vain posers.
I never understand why these people film gigs (Like victorious) call me a cynic if you like, but I bet they don't watch what they have filmed afterwards anyway. Why don't you just watch the band instead of missing half of it buggering about with a phone? Same with football. Just watch the match FFS.
Grown men filming a football match on their phones instead of taking in the moment. Absolute throbbers, all of them
Haven't you heard guys? If it's not on your phone, it never happened.
Welcome to the 'real' world.
Maybe some of us simply don't exist in it.
My greatest and most enjoyable bonkers celebration of a goal was Shaggy v Liverpool at Highbury. Even if I'd had a phone (which was impossible) that would have been the very last thing on my mind as I lost my mind for about 5 minutes.
(05-07-2021, 02:33 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]My greatest and most enjoyable bonkers celebration of a goal was Shaggy v Liverpool at Highbury. Even if I'd had a phone (which was impossible) that would have been the very last thing on my mind as I lost my mind for about 5 minutes.

+1. Went absolutely mental. Looking @ the online recording of that game when Shaggy scores it seems we all did. Great scenes.
Also went mad when shaggy scored, which made the rest of the game fun seeing as I was sat in a stand full of scousers Big Grin
Anderton goal at Highbury was something I’ll never forget . Total mayhem . Another one was Terry Connor at West Ham in div1 . Limbs and carnage . What football is all about . Kids today will never understand
yeh andertons goal! Trying to remember to breath....
blakey's header to finally see off spurs was pretty special
Anderton's goal. I even hugged a bloke I didn't know. Didn't tell the wife!
I was in the stand for Anderton's goal. It was more muted there, but I do remember supporters on the terracing going completely mad.
(05-07-2021, 02:33 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]My greatest and most enjoyable bonkers celebration of a goal was Shaggy v Liverpool at Highbury. Even if I'd had a phone (which was impossible) that would have been the very last thing on my mind as I lost my mind for about 5 minutes.

That really brings back great memories Jiz,  everybody went absolutely loopy  Smile .

I remember seeing my best glasses flying up in the air and then being flattened by some large geezer.

Too bad we couldn’t have held on to win, we deserved to.
(05-07-2021, 09:31 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

That really brings back great memories Jiz,  everybody went absolutely loopy  Smile .

I remember seeing my best glasses flying up in the air and then being flattened by some large geezer.

Too bad we couldn’t have held on to win, we deserved to.

Me too, I honestly thought we were going to Wembley, until my mate reminded me it was only the first half of extra time lol. Can still vividly recall the traffic queue earlier going through Petersfield (no bypass then), plus trying to get Petrol in Newbury returning from Villa Park. The Police eventually gave in and let us all buy petrol.
It was the second half of extra time when Anderton scored.  We only had to survive for 9 mins, but only managed 5 of them. 

One memory of the day for me  was finding out  - ony after after I'd driven home -  that I'd lost a lens from my glasses in the goal celebrations.
(06-07-2021, 09:01 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]It was the second half of extra time when Anderton scored.  We only had to survive for 9 mins, but only managed 5 of them. 

One memory of the day for me  was finding out  - ony after after I'd driven home -  that I'd lost a lens from my glasses in the goal celebrations.

Ok my memory has faded.
Yes, the "surge" on the Clock End at Highbury when "Shaggy" scored was unbelievable.

The Fans were going all over the place, stumbling here there, and everywhere, but somehow everyone stayed on their feet, helped by other fans and didn't get trampled on.