TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Statement by CX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cant say the new Chief Execs statement in today News filled me with much optimism . He states that  sunderland, ipswich and Wigan are spending huge money whist Cowleys budget will be smaller then Jacketts. Feels to me that he is getting the bad news out there for a season  of mediocrity to lower expectations. We are to be modelled on Brentford. That would be great but Brentford have top manager and class forwards. Brentford are the exception not the rule and a club of Pompeys  size and large fan following should be aiming in a different direction. Hope Im wrong.
Also reckons it'll take 3 transfer windows to get the team DC wants and we're going to give promotion a go.

Well that's good then, we're gonna give it a go and see what happens as opposed to saying we're going for promotion and that's the end of season objective.
Brentford isn't a bad model to follow, they've made it to the PL. But the scouting here will have to improve like never before to do what they've done.
How are these teams spending huge sums?  Isn't there a cap on what teams can spend.  

I'm not even sure spending lots at this level guarantees anything.  Sunderland of all teams should know this. 

Wycombe had a very low budget the season they got promoted.
Remember (ladies), size isn't everything. Plenty of teams have succeeded in spite of competitors with more financial muscle eg. Leicester. That said, it does sound like we have changed everything whilst almost lowering our expectations for the coming season. The Septics are either excruciatingly patient, or tight as Sister Ruth-Mary's chuff.
Can only piss with the cock we have got
as regards taking 3 transfer windows, isn't that the common rule attached to all managers.
as regards spending lots of money, Sunderland have already tried that and got nowhere.
Teams down from the champ who keep most of their squad are always too strong for the rest usually leaving one place plus the playoffs.
Then there is usually a team who have built steadily
Then the third usually make a bit of a surprise showing