TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Which is the best England anthem?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sweet Caroline
Three Lions
September
Vindaloo
World in Motion

Or, for those with long memories....World Cup Willie

Here's a reminder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzaMjM4Ra7o
I suppose your age will have a big influence on this. My first football memory was Euro 96 when I was 12. So for me it has to be 3 lions.

And later on I was lucky enough to be at Glasto when we lost to ze Germans 4-2 in the game with that lampard goal. The lightning seeds had played the main stage that morning.

Great memories.
I've always thought World in Motion is shite
We’re a Bad Bunch of Bastards When We Lose, widely sung across Europe in the 80,s and 90,s.
(08-07-2021, 05:20 PM)TheSyrup Wrote: [ -> ]We’re a Bad Bunch of Bastards When We Lose, widely sung across Europe in the 80,s and 90,s.

Followed by "you'll never walk again" no doubt.
World in Motion was fucking crap, but weirdly, I love it for that exact reason
3 lions is the one written for and about fans
so for me the best fans anthem

after that the only half decent one was "Back Home"
Apart from Three Lions, every tournament has had its own adopted song.
For me it's Vindaloo because it's just nuts.
Vindaloo is crazy, has a great video and is brilliant to go stupid with in the pub watching the footy.

Can't believe Ron's 22 (This Time (We'll Get It Right)) hasn't got mention.

We're on our way,
We are Ron's twenty-two
Hear the roar,
Of the red, white and blue
(09-07-2021, 02:20 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Vindaloo is crazy, has a great video and is brilliant to go stupid with in the pub watching the footy.

Can't believe Ron's 22 (This Time (We'll Get It Right)) hasn't got mention.

We're on our way,
We are Ron's twenty-two
Hear the roar,
Of the red, white and blue

A good beat if you like Morris Dancing but.....OMG -  Steve Foster, Paul Mariner and Graham Rix were all in that World Cup squad of 1982!
Anything but Sweet Caroline, which is just plain embarrassing. Played once by a DJ a few days ago and now the press and a few thousand dinlos' seems to think it should be our anthem.
Got to love 'your defence is terrified it gets the crowd jumping around to boot. After all, this is a visual as well as audible crowd participation.
Sweet Caroline and Freed from Desire( your defence is petrified)
Both Northern Ireland anthems from Euro 2016. But thanks for catching up England, original as always
How about:
I'm still waiting - Diana Ross and the Supremes.
Or should that be "We are still waiting".
Has to be ‘Always look on the bright side of life’ now.
Didn't we almost have it all? by Whitney Houston.
Always wanted us to play 'Welcome Home' (by Peters and lee ) at FP, good to sing along to.
(13-07-2021, 09:37 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Always wanted us to play 'Welcome Home' (by Peters and lee ) at FP, good to sing along to.

Ok to hear it the first couple of times but you'd be slashing your wrists after the 40th or 50th
Actually, after the third!
It’s better than ner ner ner. Other than the chimes we do need something original
Let's face it most football songs are pretty shite..."...in the cup for Tottingham..." being a fine example.
Saying that there are exceptions, "Blue is the Colour" being the best by some distance I'd say and an honourable mention for "And we'll play all the way for Leeds Utd"