TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: My team Pompey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09-07-2021, 04:06 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]By Mason Mount
https://www.thefa.com/england/mens-senio...ason-mount

Nice read that, thanks for sharing.
Mount seems a likeable lad and more than prepared to own up to his Pompey roots and ongoing allegiance to the club.

Sadly, I am not convinced another Mason Mount wouldn’t go elsewhere instead of Pompey if one emerged in Portsmouth.

We have some previous form in losing young players all the way back to Pat Neil leaving for Wolves and Bobby Tambling seeing better prospects at Chelsea, George Smith and his “there’s nothing around Portsmouth but fish” and the abandoning of
Pompey’s youth set-up - one immediate consequence of which was 17 year old Mick Mills being forced out of Pompey and into the arms of Ipswich and straight into their first team.
In due course, with Mills as their captain, Ipswich became Top 5 regulars in the old Division 1, FA Cup and UEFA Cup winners and Mills had a career as an England International.

I have focused on events of some 50 + years ago simply because recent posts suggest that many believe that Pompey’s inability to regularly secure and develop youngsters is a recent issue when in reality Neil, Tambling and Mills are just the tip of an iceberg which first appeared in the 50/60s and has been moored off Pompey ever since.

Perhaps the very obvious loss of an England international will be a wake-up call for Pompey……but I doubt it, we lack pedigree in top class youth development, Darren Anderson seems a lonely figure.
He’s a star
A decent young man, crying shame he did not come through with us.
every club does lose and lt go players who go on to be greats. Pompey need and are getting some stability from steady owners, hopefully that will give a little time for things to develop properly.
TBF, we'd probably have ruined him.
He wouldn't be a footballer if he went with his heart over his head. We would have ruined him
Would never have got in ahead of Naylor, Morris or Close....