TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Paul Mariner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Passed away aged 68.

I remember that infamous game up at Bramall Lane when Pompey were down to 8 men by half-time (and United were down to 10!) 

Mariner played a blinder at centre-half before finally conceding the only goal of the game to give The Blunts all 3 points.

RIP.
The years go by too fast for all of us, sorry news.

R.I.P
No age really.  Paul Mariner was good honest pro, so sad.  RIP Paul.
RIP Paul
I can still remember the first time I saw Paul Mariner play for us and I was surprised at how good he was. Didnt score loads of goals but because of him Quinny and others did. Thanks for the memories Paul
My best memories of Paul Mariner didn't actually involve what he did on the pitch for Pompey.

Went to my first FA Cup Final in 1978 when Ipswich beat Arsenal and remember being amused by a banner in the crowd: "Whymark Mariner when Woods will Wark it in"

Was at Wembley in a crowd of 100,000 when Mariner scored the only goal against Hungary. This guaranteed England a place at the 82 World Cup - first time we'd made it through the qualification group in 20 years - and was by far and away the loudest atmosphere I've ever experienced watching England!

Remember when Bally's Pompey had won promotion to the old first division despite losing the final game against Sheffield United and Mariner went absolutely mental in his celebrations - as well as celebrating Pompey's success he'd also just heard that Burnley had stayed in the football league in their final game of the season.

RIP Paul Mariner
Terrible News & still relatively young. A really top old fashioned CF, good in the air & led the line well.
We have had some top CFs & he has to be right up there RIP Paul.
Before my time but RIP, lived my dream and remembered well so must have done something right
Another one gone too young RIP
(10-07-2021, 03:10 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]My best memories of Paul Mariner didn't actually involve what he did on the pitch for Pompey.

Went to my first FA Cup Final in 1978 when Ipswich beat Arsenal and remember being amused by a banner in the crowd: "Whymark Mariner when Woods will Wark it in"

Was at Wembley in a crowd of 100,000 when Mariner scored the only goal against Hungary. This guaranteed England a place at the 82 World Cup - first time we'd made it through the qualification group in 20 years - and was by far and away the loudest atmosphere I've ever experienced watching England!

Remember when Bally's Pompey had won promotion to the old first division despite losing the final game against Sheffield United and Mariner went absolutely mental in his celebrations - as well as celebrating Pompey's success he'd also just heard that Burnley had stayed in the football league in their final game of the season.

RIP Paul Mariner

I was at that Hungary game too, PiD, and it certainly was a great atmosphere.  Hardly imagined he would ever play for us, since we were in Div 3 at the time, and I'm sorry to say I'd forgotten he was in our promotion side of 86-87.  I think for England he was effectively replaced by Mark Hately, whose first England appearance (my second and last England game) I also saw in 1984 against the Soviet Union, a pretty rare achievement even then for a Second Division player. Mark Chamberlain also played that day, one of his few England caps, and another player it was hard to imagine signing for us.
one of the first veterans we signed who still had "it"
Channon was fun but well past it.
Mariner was outstandingly good at knitting it together. Laying it off with feet and especially a little cushioned header to his team mate. And a great finisher again especially with his head.