TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: There's Always a Scapegoat!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just as a postscript to my post yesterday about the online racist abuse, it has now emerged that much of the abuse took the form of banana and monkey emojis and phrases like 'go home' which circumvented Instagram and Facebook's policing system - computer bots.

This from today's Time magazine:

"The problem is, those algorithms don’t always work very well. After the England players missed their penalties, several users shared images on social media of Instagram’s moderation system responding to reports of posts containing racial slurs and emojis saying “our technology has found that this comment probably doesn’t go against our Community Guidelines."

What would be obvious to a human moderator, computer AIs are blind to. The sheer number of posts, particularly for high-profile figures and high-profile events, would require a huge army of human moderators to police. 

Maybe the best solution to to allow other users to put the abusers in their place. But as Woody Allen once said about how to respond to anti-semitism "It's difficult to satirise someone with shiny boots."
(14-07-2021, 06:45 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Just as a postscript to my post yesterday about the online racist abuse, it has now emerged that much of the abuse took the form of banana and monkey emojis and phrases like 'go home' which circumvented Instagram and Facebook's policing system - computer bots.

"The problem is, those algorithms don’t always work very well. After the England players missed their penalties, several users shared images on social media of Instagram’s moderation system responding to reports of posts containing racial slurs and emojis saying “our technology has found that this comment probably doesn’t go against our Community Guidelines."

What would be obvious to a human moderator, computer AIs are blind to. The sheer number of posts, particularly for high-profile figures and high-profile events, would require a huge army of human moderators to police. 

Maybe the best solution to to allow other users to put the abusers in their place. But as Woody Allen once said about how to respond to anti-semitism "It's difficult to satirise someone with shiny boots."

We don’t need moderators and censorship, we need people to be prosecuted if they break the law.

Human moderators are, if anything, worse than AI in that they let their personal prejudices cloud their judgement.

If people were unable to post with complete anonymity, they wouldn’t post things they can’t stand behind would they?

Racist posts come from cowards, we need to shine the light on them.
I read that Pompey's U18 academy players are being investigated over alleged racist tweets... I didn't know we still had any players? There can't be many to investigate.
(14-07-2021, 09:32 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]I read that Pompey's U18 academy players are being investigated over alleged racist tweets... I didn't know we still had any players? There can't be many to investigate.

Yes, it could be one of the shortest investigations in history  Smile .
(14-07-2021, 07:39 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-07-2021, 06:45 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Just as a postscript to my post yesterday about the online racist abuse, it has now emerged that much of the abuse took the form of banana and monkey emojis and phrases like 'go home' which circumvented Instagram and Facebook's policing system - computer bots.

We don’t need moderators and censorship, we need people to be prosecuted if they break the law.

Human moderators are, if anything, worse than AI in that they let their personal prejudices cloud their judgement.

If people were unable to post with complete anonymity, they wouldn’t post things they can’t stand behind would they?

Racist posts come from cowards, we need to shine the light on them.

What’s happening? Agree with you here too, Exgaffer.
(13-07-2021, 09:43 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]Guff, please go ahead and enlighten us all with your personal black experience.

…and sport has always been politics by other means. Since forever.

That is just the kind of stupid statement I’d expect from you Tuffers.

I didn’t say that politics didn’t involve itself in sport (and vice versa), I said it shouldn’t.
Pages: 1 2