TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Would Redknapp get away with it now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wasn't that long ago that Harry Redknapp explained the absence of a player with illness after the African Cup of Nations as:

"He must have eaten a dodgy missionary or something"
No you can’t tell jokes anymore too many weak people.
Joking not allowed. Jokes offend people that are determined to be offended.
It’s ok , it’s perfectly legal to be offended and quite right too. Shit jokes on the other hand are always that, shit jokes
Of course that’s entirely true, but I do think an increasing number of people go out of their way to be disgusted or offended. Modern society I guess.. like the younger gen all wanting to have more food intolerances or issues than their mates!
of course you have the right to be offended but actually if we believe in freedom of speech then others have the right to say things that offend you.

Exactly who decides what crosses the line and who appoints them?
Spot on hammie, same as if there was a league table of things you could do wrong, who decides what makes one thing worse than another. Because in my time that league table has been changed and not in ways that appear logical.
I dunno, the Duke of Edinburgh got away with it for decades. To a aboriginal man, " do you still throw spears @ each other". Or the classic "slitty eyes" comment on the Great Wall.
Thing is Redknapps & Prince Phillips stuff do make me laugh in a way that imo isn't remotely racist. Its just them & the time they were brought up in. Its very far removed from the stuff seen online by the Academy lads today imho.
I think that we live in a more progressive age and that jokes made even 25 years ago are more likely to be frowned upon today.

The amazing response of young people to the events since Sunday evening demonstrates that we might be moving towards a far more tolerant society.

I like to hope so.
(14-07-2021, 06:10 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]It’s ok , it’s perfectly legal to be offended and quite right too. Shit jokes on the other hand are always that, shit jokes

Oh I dunno I thought that was quite funny.
We are already a tolerant society, one of the most tolerant on the planet. A society with an inherent sense of what’s fair and proper. That is what was overwhelmingly exemplified by people of all ages after the events of Sunday night. Start celebrating our positives, the negatives will disappear in time without knee bending.