TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 3 weeks to go and taking into account...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
the latest rebuild info that there is space in the squad for only 1 more centre forward recruit, on a scale of 1 to 10, bad to good, how well do we think DC is doing in building a squad that will be ready for the off and more importantly capable of securing at least a top 6 finish?
Hard to answer. Tempted to say 4 out of 10 but I acknowledge this a tough rebuild and lots can, and hopefully will, happen in the next 3 weeks and continue to close of window (whenever that is!).
Spending loads of money does not guarantee success.

Lots of teams do well with a good manager and a modest budget.

Let’s wait and see how we perform before throwing in the towel before the season starts.

The Cowleys are a good management team, I have no doubt that we will be competitive.

Throw away the incontinence pants ffs.  Smile
Just confirms what we already knew. This season isn't going to be pretty.

We aren't going to score many with Harrison and Marquis. Much of our problems come from having the shit left over from Kenny. So many poor players with time to run down on their contracts.

Shame we didn't manage to offload Curtis either. There's always next year
the basic squad we were left with was not a bad place to start from for a playoffs ish team. But very thin on numbers. Those bought in look at least decent. Add another few as the big spenders run out of cash and those who were expecting a big pay rise suddenly realise they have no team as yet... Not just us reading the Millwall manager's remarks.
I imagine we will sign a couple of the trialists for starters. hard graft but they are getting there I guess.
(16-07-2021, 03:46 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Just confirms what we already knew. This season isn't going to be pretty.

We aren't going to score many with Harrison and Marquis. Much of our problems come from having the shit left over from Kenny. So many poor players with time to run down on their contracts.

(16-07-2021, 04:01 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]the basic squad we were left with was not a bad place to start from for a playoffs ish team. But very thin on numbers. Those bought in look at least decent. Add another few as the big spenders run out of cash and those who were expecting a big pay rise suddenly realise they have no team as yet... Not just us reading the Millwall manager's remarks.
I imagine we will sign a couple of the trialists for starters. hard graft but they are getting there I guess.

I have a  feeling (it's only a gut feeling ) Curtis is gonna shine for us this coming season, fingers crossed.
Towards the end of last season - after the Cowleys were in post - many on here were demanding a total clear-out and starting from scratch.

To a large extend this has happened and we have new faces in a half-finished squad. DC has spoken quite candidly about his recruitment process and how painstaking it will be. To be honest he comes across as more than a bit OCD but I think we have to trust his judgement at this stage. Even now some posters are still very critical of Harrison, Curtis, Marquis etc but perhaps the new players will enable them to fulfill their potential this season.

Regardless, I will still buy a season ticket and still try to get to as many away games as possible!

Deebo

"To a large extend"

Ooh er matron
(17-07-2021, 01:59 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-07-2021, 03:46 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Just confirms what we already knew. This season isn't going to be pretty.

(16-07-2021, 04:01 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]the basic squad we were left with was not a bad place to start from for a playoffs ish team. But very thin on numbers. Those bought in look at least decent. Add another few as the big spenders run out of cash and those who were expecting a big pay rise suddenly realise they have no team as yet... Not just us reading the Millwall manager's remarks.

I have a  feeling (it's only a gut feeling ) Curtis is gonna shine for us this coming season, fingers crossed.
I have a feeling Curtis won’t be playing for us this season. I wonder who will be right when the season starts
Josh Sims?. Curtis has already spoken to DC and said he’d like to go to a championship club but if it doesn’t happen he’s more than happy here .
If Curtis does go for the fee being mentioned at least it will give cash and wages to bring in 2 or 3 half decent replacements.
As his contract was one of the latter, presumably he is on very good money (for pompey)
If he went we got Seddon and Thompson (yes I know!) the squad would be more balanced, I assume the recruitment team have a left winger in mind as Curtis has long been trying to move on.
I’m hoping we can sell Harness, Harrison and Marquis and actually get exciting strikers and not flatterers and tries hards
(18-07-2021, 06:35 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I’m hoping we can sell Harness, Harrison and Marquis and actually get exciting strikers and not flatterers and tries hards
Be careful what you wish for
Selling those 3 I don’t suppose anyone would notice
Sorry but all the talk is forwards, what about having a defence and who is going to be captain or have we got signed them yet
If the Coventry full back signs we will have 2 keepers 6 full backs and 3 centre backs, plus half a midfield I think.
Gassan Ahadme ( trialist H) signed on a years loan. 7 goals in 3 games , let’s hope he knocks them in like that when the season starts .
(20-07-2021, 07:56 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Gassan Ahadme ( trialist H) signed on a years loan. 7 goals in 3 games , let’s hope he knocks them in like that when the season starts .

Good News, yes let's hope he scores loads
Excellent!
brick by brick. ??
You can add Jayden Reid to the squad also. The 20 year old winger / striker has just signed a 12month deal. He’s been good for Pompey in the pre-season games so far. Has loads of pace and dribble. Another excellent signing.
i like tha mix of experience and youngsters so far. Still a lot of time to go before the craziness of deadline day.
According to DC he wants a 3rd keeper someone older/experienced. Also another CB and at least 1 possibly 2 midfielders. If no one else goes that may be it.
Definitely short in centre midfield,if Williams or tunnicliffe get injured,not much backup
(21-07-2021, 06:54 AM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely short in centre midfield,if Williams or tunnicliffe get injured,not much backup

Agreed. We should try and make a cheeky loan bid for Lewis Bate of Chelsea. The 18 year old is a huge talent and heralded as the next ‘big thing’.
Pages: 1 2