TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Signings update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
By my calculations that's eight in so far...
Vincent, Robertson, Tunnicliffe, Bazunu, Williams, Freeman, Ahadme and Reid.......bringing our squad to around 15.
The forward and back line look fairly solid now but we only have 5 midfielders and one of whom is Jacobs. We probably need another five in this area and another keeper. Sound right?
Not far off the mark I would think. One keeper, a creative midfielder plus a couple of 'back-up' midfield might be job done for this window. Re-assess in January. Curtis leaving would probably require another wide-left atatck-minded player as well.
Corey Addai ( ex Barnsley 6'7" keeper) and Jay Mingi ( Charlton-midfielder) are still trialists with us. I would imagine DC is still keen on Ben Thompson but is waiting to see how it pans out with Millwall before the TW deadline.
Sorry but for me the signing of another striker is imperative. It seems that if Ahadme doesn't deliver then we are left with Marquis and Harrison.
Unless one of Marquis or Harrison leaves I can’t see it, seeing as we also have Reeco H-F who can play as a striker. Not many L1 clubs have more than 3 first team strikers
Personally I still see CB and midfield ( at least 2 more) as a priority.
centre mid is still very lightweight.
Used correctly, Marquis and Harrison are a decent pairing at this level.
Yes, a bit of work to do. I would be comfortable with three more midfielders coming in before K.O. Fewer than that and with Jacobs out, it would result in a very rigid formation with few options and a huge risk of an injury. 
Regarding forwards, Cowley said last week he was going to have to work with three so it sounds as though Reeko might be loaned out again.
(23-07-2021, 06:05 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]centre mid is still very lightweight.

Marquis is a good goal poacher and will score (did it at Donny) if as you say in the right set-up
Playing up-front on his own, holding the ball up, laying off the ball and bringing other players into the game, no.
Lacks all round ball skills for me.  

Harrison, great work ethic, always looks a threat and does everything right until he sees the goal posts. 
If only he could improve in that area he'd be very good. 

(24-07-2021, 07:24 AM)Trarchus Wrote: [ -> ]

Marquis is a good goal poacher and will score (did it at Donny) if as you say in the right set-up
Playing up-front on his own, holding the ball up, laying off the ball and bringing other players into the game, no.

Harrison, great work ethic, always looks a threat and does everything right until he sees the goal posts. 

‘Does everything right until he sees the goal posts’.

Not a great trait if you are supposed to be a forward is it?  Big Grin 
(24-07-2021, 08:10 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-07-2021, 07:24 AM)Trarchus Wrote: [ -> ]

‘Does everything right until he sees the goal posts’.

Not a great trait if you are supposed to be a forward is it?  Big Grin 
Big Grin I guess not Gaff.
How many goals have Harrison and Marquis scored so far in pre season? Correct me if im wrong but I think it's (drumroll please) ZERO.

When Ahadme is banging them in for fun in a team of trialists, H&M should be rather embarrassed, even by their standards ...
(24-07-2021, 11:26 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]How many goals have Harrison and Marquis scored so far in pre season? Correct me if im wrong but I think it's (drumroll please) ZERO.

When Ahadme is banging them in for fun in a team of trialists, H&M should be rather embarrassed, even by their standards .

Harrison was always poor. His career strike rate is something like 1:8. Marquis is a puzzle that Jackett couldn't solve. No sign as yet that Cowley is faring any better.
(24-07-2021, 01:19 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-07-2021, 11:26 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]How many goals have Harrison and Marquis scored so far in pre season? Correct me if im wrong but I think it's (drumroll please) ZERO.

When Ahadme is banging them in for fun in a team of trialists, H&M should be rather embarrassed, even by their standards .

Harrison was always poor. His career strike rate is something like 1:8. Marquis is a puzzle that Jackett couldn't solve. No sign as yet that Cowley is faring any better.

Gerry, you seem to be struggling somewhat with numbers in this thrread. 

The squad is currently 18 not 15. 

And Harrison has scored 1 in every 4.26 games over his career (69 in 294).  Not great but not awful for a forward whose main role is  leading the line and creating opportunities for others and nearly twice as good as your 1 in 8 claim.  He should aim for double figures every season though and has only done it three times (once for us btw).
1.1 half time at Luton. Ahadme scores the equaliser for Pompey. Plenty of subs no doubt soon.
Let's hope Ahadme doesn't do a Toddy.
Goss, Johnson and Hackett-Fairchild on for Freeman, Williams and Harness
(24-07-2021, 03:34 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Let's hope Ahadme doesn't do a Toddy.

Let's hope not
Reid, Jacobs, Harrison, Mason, Mnoga & Dixon-Bonner on for Marquis, Curtis, Brown, Robertson, Ahadme and Tunnicliffe.
Finished 1.1 Ronan Curtis came back on for Jayden Reid who only lasted a couple of minutes
Does that mean Reid is the latest injury to go with untold numbers of other pre season injuries? 2 weeks left to build a team/squad and buy some midfielders. Who is our creative midfielder?
(24-07-2021, 04:17 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Does that mean Reid is the latest injury to go with untold numbers of other pre season injuries? 2 weeks left to build a team/squad and buy some midfielders. Who is our creative midfielder?

Ben Thompson  Tongue
Ha.. yes.... our saviour! Imagine the pressure on him having to live up to expectations...
(24-07-2021, 04:37 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Ha.. yes.... our saviour! Imagine the pressure on him having to live up to expectations...

Yeh indeed, I remember it did take him 4 or 5 games to get into his stride. 

At the moment it's looking like Ahadme is our saviour. We'll be fucked without his goals. Great find from The Cowleys.
(24-07-2021, 02:00 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-07-2021, 01:19 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]

Gerry, you seem to be struggling somewhat with numbers in this thrread. 

The squad is currently 18 not 15. 

And Harrison has scored 1 in every 4.26 games over his career (69 in 294).  Not great but not awful for a forward whose main role is  leading the line and creating opportunities for others and nearly twice as good as your 1 in 8 claim.  He should aim for double figures every season though and has only done it three times (once for us btw).

Yup, I stand corrected Pedalo and as my penance I promise to believe that Marquis will 'come good' again this season only to suffer the taste of bitter disappointment. That do?
(24-07-2021, 03:40 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Goss, Johnson and Hackett-Fairchild on for Freeman, Williams and Harness

Freeman, Harness & Williams...is that a shoe shop??
Pages: 1 2 3