TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Thompson from Millwall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It appears that Cowley is working with a meagre transfer budget but surely a way can be found just this once or the Eisner's can relent to find the finance to fund Thompson's recruitment. It would give the fans a boost and bring that vital midfield component we need.
Yawn....
(27-07-2021, 09:26 AM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]It appears that Cowley is working with a meagre transfer budget but surely a way can be found just this once or the Eisner's can relent to find the finance to fund Thompson's recruitment. It would give the fans a boost and bring that vital midfield component we need.

He has another year on his contract so his fee plus his championship wages make him far out of our reach at the moment. Getting him on loan would be our best - and it appears only - option.
Blimey this Thompson thing has become an obsession. He did well enough but he's not a messiah.
(27-07-2021, 01:32 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Blimey this Thompson thing has become an obsession. He did well enough but he's not a messiah.

He would be a very good signing but, for the reasons already given, an unlikely one.

No point in getting all worked up over something that is not likely to happen.
(27-07-2021, 01:32 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Blimey this Thompson thing has become an obsession. He did well enough but he's not a messiah.

No, he's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.
Every other day we seem to have DC moaning about other teams having a bigger budget. Players he would liked to sign have gone to these bigger budget teams.
He knew we were never going to compete before he put pen to paper on his contract.
Stop moaning and accept it that the budget is the budget or piss off
(27-07-2021, 04:51 PM)PeterD Wrote: [ -> ]Every other day we seem to have DC moaning about other teams having a bigger budget. Players he would liked to sign have gone to these bigger budget teams.
He knew we were never going to compete before he put pen to paper on his contract.
Stop moaning and accept it that the budget is the budget or piss off

He has never moaned. Not once.  He has stated it as a fact of life that makes signing players difficult and also stated many times how he supports the sustainable approach of the owners. 

The impresssion he gives is that he thinks the big-spending clubs are mad to be spending the money they are but that it not the same as moaning that we are not joining them.
If he were as amazing as his fawning sycophants on here think, he wouldn't be on the fringes of a mediocre championship team and looking at a move to league 1.
I can’t believe so called Pompey fans online ( not this forum) moaning about Ipswich, calling them moneybags FC. Pot kettle, this dins obviously can’t remember 20 yrs ago
Hes comin home, hes comin home he's comin'
Thompson's comin home*

*Neither is he coming, nor is Pompey his home, but i do like a singsong.
(27-07-2021, 06:11 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Hes comin home, hes comin home he's comin'
Thompson's comin home*

*Neither is he coming, nor is Pompey his home, but i do like a singsong.
DC, I'm not sure what his budget actually is, sometimes pleading things are tight is good thing. 

I can see why our fans are keen on Thompson after last time and he is a good player a this level.  Expectations though....
With Reid pretty much gone for the season, midfield and left side attacking is getting desperate.
We need a centre back and at least 2 midfielders asap. If Jacobs stays with us and stays fit it gives 3 wide players even with Reid out.
A box to box midfielder and an attacking central midfielder are a must.
from the comments he has made, I suspect the wages are the big sticking point. He seems to be moving on most of our big signings who presumably were on the highest wages. Any of them on longer contracts were presumably before the wage cap and thus on top money.
I really like his commitment to only players who are "good enough" rather than squad fillers.
Makes it tough though and we all need to hold on and be patient. I suppose at least we have a pretty decent first team for this league, apart from the gap in midfield of course. Fingers crossed for no more injuries until he has finished the business.