TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Sean Goss
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With Reid out of the equation and midfield in urgent need of reinforcement, this lad, who played for us in the Chelsea friendly, has some decent credentials. 

Came through the Man Utd youth ranks and released by Shrewsbury after a two-year 42 appearance spell. More of a ball-winner than a creative midfield force apparently.

And I think we should tell Cook where to go regarding Jacobs. He has come through 80 minutes of playing time without any injury problems and it would be madness at this late stage and after all that time in rehabilitation to let Ipswich poach him.
re jacobs, might depend mostly on his wages. a 3 year contract and one of our big signings, might be that freeing up his wages will allow us to put through a couple of other deals?
Be a shame because he is high quality. Maybe it is even him or Curtis but not both on the wage bill?
(28-07-2021, 02:20 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]re jacobs, might depend mostly on his wages. a 3 year contract and one of our big signings, might be that freeing up his wages will allow us to put through a couple of other deals?
Be a shame because he is high quality. Maybe it is even him or Curtis but not both on the wage bill?

If the Eisners cant afford to keep Curtis and Jacobs who lets be honest are league one standard players. We are only going to head in one direction and it aint up. I'm struggling to understand why they purchased us if they are not prepared to fund it properly. If we are not challenging  at the top end in this league, its inevitable that  gates will not go back to pre-covid levels and income will fall even further. Their ambition to be self sustainable might be admirable but without intial investment, it wont happen, unless we strike it lucky and develop a couple of Jude Bellinghams, who can be sold for millions. Even then to get the big bucks for players, we need to be playing in the Championship not league 1 or god forbid league 2.
We're more likely to sign Matt or Luke Goss.
(29-07-2021, 06:21 AM)Cressers Wrote: [ -> ]We're more likely to sign Matt or Luke Goss.

In reality, more likely to sign the third one whose name nobody knew, who would shortly after drop a drumstick on his big toe putting him out until Xmas.
(28-07-2021, 05:07 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-07-2021, 02:20 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]re jacobs, might depend mostly on his wages. a 3 year contract and one of our big signings, might be that freeing up his wages will allow us to put through a couple of other deals?

If the Eisners cant afford to keep Curtis and Jacobs who lets be honest are league one standard players. We are only going to head in one direction and it aint up. I'm struggling to understand why they purchased us if they are not prepared to fund it properly. If we are not challenging  at the top end in this league, its inevitable that  gates will not go back to pre-covid levels and income will fall even further. Their ambition to be self sustainable might be admirable but without intial investment, it wont happen, unless we strike it lucky and develop a couple of Jude Bellinghams, who can be sold for millions. Even then to get the big bucks for players, we need to be playing in the Championship not league 1 or god forbid league 2.

You're right. The Eisner's need to invest a small amount or sell to someone prepared to put some money in.

I really don't think they still understand U.K. Football & how the finances work.

They seem more intent on pumping money into trying to rebuild FP.
But pumping money into the ground was what we voted for .

And what we need far more than a better team.
"pumping money into the ground was what we voted for"

No it wasn't because the Eisners' fastidiously avoided making any promises on actually sorting the ground.

My guess is that precious little more has been spent on the ground by the Eisners than was in the last fan owned PFC five year budget and expenditure plan.

If the Eisners had spent big on the infrastructure of the club then I'd be more than happy watching a collection of cheap arsed loanees, because the brick-by-brick plan was actually happening and their financial power and business acumen was securing the club for the long term. But they haven't and it isn't. Oh and we still have the same scurrying around for last minute signings and discount loan players.

In 2017 we (well some of us) owned our football club, it was profitable and we'd just won Div 4 (or whatever it's called). It seemed that we were on the way back from near liquidation. To say we have been in neutral since is putting it kindly. And now the next f*ck up from our so-called professional owners... Why, do they choose to rip out the seats in D section just before they start selling season tickets there? Why not do that when the ground was shut FFS?

I'm concerned that the whiff of stagnation is not far off.
(29-07-2021, 09:44 PM)I’m SW4Blue Wrote: [ -> ]"pumping money into the ground was what we voted for"

No it wasn't because the Eisners' fastidiously avoided making any promises on actually sorting the ground.

My guess is that precious little more has been spent on the ground by the Eisners than was in the last fan owned PFC five year budget and expenditure plan.

If the Eisners had spent big on the infrastructure of the club then I'd be more than happy watching a collection of cheap arsed loanees, because the brick-by-brick plan was actually happening and their financial power and business acumen was securing the club for the long term. But they haven't and it isn't. Oh and we still have the same scurrying around for last minute signings and discount loan players.

In 2017 we (well some of us) owned our football club, it was profitable and we'd just won Div 4 (or whatever it's called). It seemed that we were on the way back from near liquidation. To say we have been in neutral since is putting it kindly. And now the next f*ck up from our so-called professional owners... Why, do they choose to rip out the seats in D section just before they start selling season tickets there? Why not do that when the ground was shut FFS?

I'm concerned that the whiff of stagnation is not far off.

I’d hazard a guess that their due diligence on the ground was shit.
(29-07-2021, 09:44 PM)SW4Blue Wrote: [ -> ]"pumping money into the ground was what we voted for"

I'm concerned that the whiff of stagnation is not far off

Yesterday's announcement about capping the attendance at 16,000 for several years only reinforces the impression that we have to get used to our proud club being anchored to League One for the forseeable future.

Someone on here recently reminded us of Eisner's statement at the time of the takeover saying that if we wanted to remain a third tier club then we didn't need him. So, even by his own measure, we would have been no worse off under the Trust.

When you look at the clubs who have been able to sustain Championship status during that time - Millwall, Bristol City, Barnsley, Preston, Reading, Coventry - and those who have achieved promotion from League One - Peterborough, Wycombe - you can't help feeling that something is very wrong.
Could it be that it is more than stagnation?

Do you remember when we boasted proudly that you only ever see Pompey shirts being worn in Pompey while other citys have all the prem teams colours on show?

Now I live in Havant but the same was true here but it is no longer so. I get the feeling that a generation of fans are being lost due to restricted capacity, outdated facilities, accessibility. 

As a nipper I seldom had to think about "getting in" such was FP capacity, now with ST holders taking most of the good seats, it is a very different story, Either sold out or only second rate seats available at expensive rates compared to ST's. I got the bug cheap with a choice of ground areas, it's not like that anymore.

For sure FP will never generate the income to support Championship let alone Premier football. So where will the cash come from? We all know what happened when the club overspent 10 years or so back. 

Where is the magic?
We're a league one club and we'd better get used to it. We seem to have a steady reliable owner with which we'll never go bust but also have little hope of progression from this division. We have a great fanbase but no hope of it increasing, it is stagnation and I'm not sure I can be bothered with it anymore.
In short we have owners with no ambition and no intention to invest on the playing side, other than to carry out essential and necessary safety works. They have also made it clear that their ambitions for the ground apparently do not extend to financing the necessary re=construction of the Milton End for which they had originally produced the plans. 
Its also galling that they have had more than a year during Covid to carry out the work in the stands now proposed which is going to impact attendance and give inconvenience to fans.
(30-07-2021, 07:36 AM)muschi Wrote: [ -> ]Could it be that it is more than stagnation?

Do you remember when we boasted proudly that you only ever see Pompey shirts being worn in Pompey while other citys have all the prem teams colours on show?

Now I live in Havant but the same was true here but it is no longer so. I get the feeling that a generation of fans are being lost due to restricted capacity, outdated facilities, accessibility. 

As a nipper I seldom had to think about "getting in" such was FP capacity, now with ST holders taking most of the good seats, it is a very different story, Either sold out or only second rate seats available at expensive rates compared to ST's. I got the bug cheap with a choice of ground areas, it's not like that anymore.

For sure FP will never generate the income to support Championship let alone Premier football. So where will the cash come from? We all know what happened when the club overspent 10 years or so back. 

Where is the magic?

All the buzzwords, ‘outdated facilities’, ‘accessibility’, ‘restricted capacity’.

The capacity was initially restricted by the completely unnecessary removal of terraces, if the terraces are kept well maintained they are no less safe than seats. If you have more terraces, you can fit more people in and reduce prices. This is totally outside the control of the club.

Pompey are currently restricting capacity because they are improving the concourses and seats, I would have thought you would approve of that. Once that has been done, the capacity will be up to 20,000, which on recent evidence is more than enough.

As for ‘accessibility’, how is it less accessible than it has been in the past?

You are right that FP will never generate the income needed for the Championship or Prem, but clubs in those divisions don’t get the majority of their income from gate money do they?

As long as we fill what seats are available, and have a manager that plays positive football, the magic will be there, no doubt about it. 

PUP
(30-07-2021, 09:24 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-07-2021, 07:36 AM)muschi Wrote: [ -> ]Could it be that it is more than stagnation?

Where is the magic?

All the buzzwords, ‘outdated facilities’, ‘accessibility’, ‘restricted capacity’.

The capacity was initially restricted by the completely unnecessary removal of terraces, if the terraces are kept well maintained they are no less safe than seats. If you have more terraces, you can fit more people in and reduce prices. This is totally outside the control of the club.

Pompey are currently restricting capacity because they are improving the concourses and seats, I would have thought you would approve of that. Once that has been done, the capacity will be up to 20,000, which on recent evidence is more than enough.

As for ‘accessibility’, how is it less accessible than it has been in the past?

You are right that FP will never generate the income needed for the Championship or Prem, but clubs in those divisions don’t get the majority of their income from gate money do they?

As long as we fill what seats are available, and have a manager that plays positive football, the magic will be there, no doubt about it. 

PUP

I like your interpretation Gaffer.
I think I read that over the next 3 or 4 years the capacity will be at 16,000 for the majority of that time? Has anyone explained what they are doing to cause that?
(30-07-2021, 11:14 AM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]I think I read that over the next 3 or 4 years the capacity will be at 16,000 for the majority of that time?  Has anyone explained what they are doing to cause that?

It's mostly essential works which presumably could get done quicker if they were willing to properly invest.
For goodness sake, you could build an entirely new stadium in that time.
Yes it suits you Gaffs but that's the problem, what about the youngsters who will never get the chance to experience footy in Pompey? It won't really show for some time yet but the day will arrive when they can't sell seats as the current kids will have found other things to do on a wet Saturday.

As for accessibility - are you really that naive as to not know about the loss of parking around FP, the amount of new buildings in the area  and the egress restrictions for those who don't want to hang around crowded boozers until Fratton station has cleared?
(29-07-2021, 08:37 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]But pumping money into the ground was what we voted for .

And what we need far more than a better team.

Was it Deep-really??
I voted for a complete renewal of the Infrastructure @ PFC including FP/Academy etc.
This latest work comes under safety & maintenance which you'd fully expect a owner to do. Its not renewing/rebuilding the ground @ all. 
They're DD on FP must've been absolutely shite.
This might already have been addressed but, given Fratton has been all but closed for 15 months, is there a reason the ripping out of seats has started as crowds are allowed back? When do we find out if we can have our usual seats? It’s hard to be enthusiastic at the moment.
(30-07-2021, 01:39 PM)muschi Wrote: [ -> ]Yes it suits you Gaffs but that's the problem, what about the youngsters who will never get the chance to experience footy in Pompey? It won't really show for some time yet but the day will arrive when they can't sell seats as the current kids will have found other things to do on a wet Saturday.

As for accessibility - are you really that naive as to not know about the loss of parking around FP, the amount of new buildings in the area  and the egress restrictions for those who don't want to hang around crowded boozers until Fratton station has cleared?

Pompey is a crowded island, people who decide to drive into it on match days have to take the consequences don’t they? I lived on the island most of my life and used to walk to the game, now I get the train and walk, I would need my head testing if I drove in. Wasting all that time looking up the tailpipe of the immobile car in front ffs.

If you walk on down to the town station you can avoid the crowds by the way and get a seat before the train gets to Fratton.

As for the crowded boozers, surely that’s a good thing. Apart from anything else it puts money into the local economy.

I agree about the kids but the club do make efforts in that direction. It is the government, not the club that have banned terraces, they are the ones who need to be given the grief, not the club.
With the current booking system single seats are often left empty. Every other seat that I've booked online for years does not allow you to leave a single space. Cinema, theatre etc, eg if there are three and you try to book the end two, it shoves you along and will not let you confirm purchase until you accept the adjacent seats.
Just making that slight adjustment to the booking system would help me to take my granddaughter, who loves going but clearly is not able to sit alone while I sit somewhere else.
and strongly encourage STs who cannot go to a game to release their seat, I thought the £5 was a fair offer but often went midweek to see the entire row in front of me in the central Fratton End empty, game after game.
I no longer have a ST and will do my best to get along to midweek games when I can, even the tinpot cup is better than no footie!