TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Tomlinson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometimes I despair at our scouting regime. I have posted on here a number of times about the 20 year old left back at Eastleigh, Joe Tomlinson. Probably the best left back in the National League, we are searching for a left back, we have a quality youngster on our doorstop, obviously in our bargain bin price range. So who sign him - Peterborough. 

Remember also I kept mentioning Rob Atkinson as a top notch centre back when he was also local to us at Eastleigh. Of course we don't bother, he goes to Oxford last season and a 2.5 million move to Bristol City this month.
Totally agree with you JIMBON. Would like to think, given the circumstances, Pompey would undertake an enquiry as to why this (and others) have happened. I have long thought we had a problem with both local and general recruitment but especially with local players.

As a matter of interest did you ever mention these players were worth a look to Pompey?
JIMBON
I guess you’re Pompey through and through and it must be doubly aggravating to see The Fratton Hierarchy ignoring your leads as to talent their doorstep.

You know what, if you think you have an eye for a player (and it seems you probably do) why not contact another league club, you might be just be the part-time scout they are looking for.

As for Pompey, we seem quite happy to pick up bits and pieces in the frees and loans markets, our current obsession with trialists isn’t likely to be a medium term substitute for growing / developing our own players…….but of course it’s much cheaper……and with Michael Eisner down to his last $ 3.4 Billion, cheap is the order of the day !
Certainly worth bringing up in a Q&A session. Seems grossly incompetent to not even be casting an eye over these players.
or perhaps they have and decided he was not what they wanted, or while we await a development squad would have had to loan him straight out again.
It doesn’t feel at the moment as if Pompey are being all that well run and I’m not talking about the Cowleys here. We certainly don’t have the feel of an upwardly mobile club. Once the excitement of returning to Fratton has passed I wonder if our first thoughts turn to hitting 50 points and staying up.. or is that overly pessimistic? My first concern is will they have finished North Upper so I can sit in my own seat for opening game!!
(29-07-2021, 11:57 AM)JIMBON Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes I despair at our scouting regime. I have posted on here a number of times about the 20 year old left back at Eastleigh, Joe Tomlinson. Probably the best left back in the National League, we are searching for a left back, we have a quality youngster on our doorstop, obviously in our bargain bin price range. So who sign him - Peterborough. 

Remember also I kept mentioning Rob Atkinson as a top notch centre back when he was also local to us at Eastleigh. Of course we don't bother, he goes to Oxford last season and a 2.5 million move to Bristol City this month.

We've just signed a young left back in Vincent..why would we want another one ? You can be sure they would have been aware of Tomlinson when they  chose Vincent. In fact I think Peterborough were reported as  one of the other clubs interested in
 Vincent.
Just read Tomlinson has signed a 3 year deal with Peterborough for an undisclosed fee. Jimbon I totally agree with where you are coming from, let's not forget Pompey lad Tommy Leigh who left Bognor earlier in the summer for Accrington
(29-07-2021, 11:57 AM)JIMBON Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes I despair at our scouting regime. I have posted on here a number of times about the 20 year old left back at Eastleigh, Joe Tomlinson. Probably the best left back in the National League, we are searching for a left back, we have a quality youngster on our doorstop, obviously in our bargain bin price range. So who sign him - Peterborough. 

I totally agree with you here. How can you miss local players under your nose?

Vincent had been tracked for over a year my Bromley spy tells me but No reason not to give him a trial at least.

His best position maybe let sided CB or converted into Mid or winger.

My Qu. is do we have a Scouting network covering the U.K.?

If so who?

For Non-league referrals they could tie up with Jack Pearce at Bognor as he knows that market backwards.

Until the club can grow their own which will take a ew years we need a top scout to be in touch with all the league academies & U/23 teams.

DC is too busy with his brother trying to get the first team playing to a fixed formation.