TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Unsafe seating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A friend of mine who sits in the south stand upper with his wife and son has just been told his and his son's seats are unsafe and they'll have to move,but his wife's seat is ok. She sits in between them.
Couldn't make it up.
(30-07-2021, 09:54 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]A friend of mine who sits in the south stand upper with his wife and son has just been told his and his son's seats are unsafe and they'll have to move,but his wife's seat is ok. She sits in between them.
Couldn't make it up.

Sounds like the wife is the danger.
Unfortunately our club is becoming a joke just lately. 3-4 years of reduced capacity as well. This is after a shed load off money has been spent on the stadium already. I was hopeful that by the time I depart from life I would see Fratton rebuilt or a new stadium but I am not optimistic.
I know exactly what you mean Bob, must say I really enjoyed your 21st birthday party at the weekend.
I don't think £10m is a lot of money to be spent on improving a stadium tbh.
(30-07-2021, 12:57 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think £10m is a lot of money to be spent on improving a stadium tbh.

Not improvements, it's basic maintenance.
Tornante are not spending a penny more than they legally have to
never forget that the problem with the stadium are down to previous owners. Apart from El Tel they never spent a penny. Or moved when there were prime sites available and even govt money to help.
The Qu. is are they just wasting money putting sticky plasters on the ground?

The ground has been decaying for years with No real investment until forced to on safety grounds.

They want to keep the club heritage & stay at FP but don't seem to be on a full rebuild plan.

If we do somehow manage to get promoted the Owners will need to pump in some serious money into the ground to increase capacity to at least 25,000 initially. They will also need to come up with a minimum of £5M to give us a fighting chance of staying up.
(30-07-2021, 03:02 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]never forget that the problem with the stadium are down to previous owners. Apart from El Tel they never spent a penny. Or moved when there were prime sites available and even govt money to help.

Except for Gaymadak who put a lid on the Milton
(02-08-2021, 06:38 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-07-2021, 03:02 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]never forget that the problem with the stadium are down to previous owners. Apart from El Tel they never spent a penny. Or moved when there were prime sites available and even govt money to help.

Except for Gaymadak who put a lid on the Milton

I'll give you that one!
I was wondering about Mandaric but think that the investment El Tel put in was what attracted Mandi as we had an atmosphere back.
listening to the forum on Solent
The fact that the south Stand is being turned into a single tier was the biggest thing ground wise for me.
I do wonder who the health and safety people are and what list they work to, ie why does it keep moving.
I'm sure anyone who has been visited by inspectors at any workplace will know how often a different inspector will require totally different work to be done according to their own personal prejudice.

longer term if the southstand has to be single tier, then the north stand must be headed that way. Having sat in the top of both, I always felt less safe in the top of the north as regards how quickly I could get down all those stairs in an emergency.
(03-08-2021, 04:10 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]listening to the forum on Silent
The fact that the south Stand is being turned into a single tier was the biggest thing ground wise for me.
I do wonder who the health and safety people are and what list they work to, ie why does it keep moving.
I'm sure anyone who has been visited by inspectors at any workplace will know how often a different inspector will require totally different work to be done according to their own personal prejudice.

longer term if the southstand has to becometh a good time single tier, then the north stand must be headed that'll work I can do way. Having sat in the top of both, I always felt less safe in the top of the north as regards how quickly I could get down all those stairs in an emergency.

I'm not too mobile myself, but, when the final whistle blows, I'm down those steps at the back as quick as you like.
I've now listened right to the end of the forum, was surprised to hear another question about the south stand.
Apparently the issue was about players falling down into the seats from the pitch above , so the club has had to lift the front of the seating area to stop that happening. Sounds a small thing but must have cost them millions just to make that one comparatively small change, the entire length of the pitch makes it no small task. I'm guessing some of the relocated fans would have been in those front rows, to stop them having a player fall on them and hurting either or both.
I wonder if anyone on here can confirm that's where fans they know have been moved from.
(03-08-2021, 04:10 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]listening to the forum on Solent

longer term if the southstand has to be single tier, then the north stand must be headed that way. Having sat in the top of both, I always felt less safe in the top of the north as regards how quickly I could get down all those stairs in an emergency.

Very interesting Hammie & when was all this decided by the club?

How will this affect ground capacity?
the Solent forum answers those questions in a little more detail.
Still on BBC sounds and well worth an hour of your time.

Actually Chief exec said at the end that the contractors have managed to free up an extra 500 or so seats immediately.

Without the work now planned he was discussing max capacity of approx 10-12k
Very poor DD on the stadium by the Eisners. Only they are to blame for that so they should bear the cost and not let it eat into other funds which could have been better invested on the playing side of things.
(03-08-2021, 09:10 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]Very poor DD on the stadium by the Eisners.  Only they are to blame for that so they should bear the cost and not let it eat into other funds which could have been better invested on the playing side of things.

They said at the Guidhall that anyone who has done up an old house knows there will be plenty of surprises. I suspect they have faced more problems than even they foresaw. 
The latest one about the front row seats being dangerous to players and fans was a bit of a surprise and very expensive as it has caused the total remodel of the south stand girders and all.
If the rules about the issue with players landing on spectators in the south stand drop from the pitch weren't in place when they bought it they can hardly be blamed for not doing due diligence on a rule that was only changed in the last 12 months.
(04-08-2021, 12:11 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]If the rules about the issue with players landing on spectators in the south stand drop from the pitch weren't in place when they bought it they can hardly be blamed for not doing due diligence on a rule that was only changed in the last 12 months.

Nothing about new rules.  The duty of care to visitors to the stadium has always been there - an injury to someone in the front row or player has been reasonably forseeable for ages - just the H&S have taken a stricter approach recently.  But that is not the only issue with the stadium and some of the others were likely more transparent when they bought.
just the H&S have taken a stricter approach recently
any of us who deal with all types of inspectors at work, know that what one inspector tells you one week, a different inspector can say totally the opposite next time.
The ground has been a major problem for 30 years. Im sure the Eisners were aware of the problems when they took over. Portsmouth City Council has always wanted the ground gone so they can build. Many will remember the lunatic plan to bulld the ground in the sea close to Gunwharf! The land where Fratton Park is located is worth a fortune. Pompey fans should keep a wary eye on developments. The only option to sale is for the Eisners to dig deep to redevelop at the same time as trying to build a team fit for the Championship.The current policy of interiim improvement which will lead to reduce capacity is not  sustainable
(03-08-2021, 08:55 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]the Solent forum answers those questions in a little more detail.

Actually Chief exec said at the end that the contractors have managed to free up an extra 500 or so seats immediately.

No longer available it says on their website.
(05-08-2021, 05:51 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2021, 08:55 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]the Solent forum answers those questions in a little more detail.

No longer available it says on their website.

I can nver find anything on there, went back to my history and this link works at the mo
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09q75w3
try this
From the official site:
'Around 5,000 flexi-season tickets have already been upgraded and we thank fans for their continued patience and support. As mentioned above we are also pleased to confirm that after working closely with Portsmouth City Council and PMC Construction, there has been a rise in capacity from 16,482 to 17,696.
(05-08-2021, 05:44 PM)BlueMonday Wrote: [ -> ]The ground has been a major problem for 30 years. Im sure the Eisners were aware of the problems when they took over. Portsmouth City Council has always wanted the ground gone so they can build. Many will remember the lunatic plan to bulld the ground in the sea close to Gunwharf! The land where Fratton Park is located is worth a fortune. Pompey fans should keep a wary eye on developments. The only option to sale is for the Eisners to dig deep to redevelop at the same time as trying to build a team fit for the Championship.The current policy of interiim improvement which will lead to reduce capacity is not  sustainable

Land in Fratton worth a fortune? It's probably one of the cheapest places to buy land or property in the South East.
Pages: 1 2