TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Tonight's Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Shrewsbury had done their homework and were set up to counter the pressing game. Still Pompey sneaked through. Much better crowd. Good volume from the crowd too. It's been a while.
Was the first three minutes apart , shit.
Well done pompey, 3 points but it was diarrhea
I’d be a bit miffed I was a Shrewsbury supporter tbh. Early days though and….top.
Great save by Bazanu to keep the lead, Yes Shrews will feel they deserved something. However it's 3 points and move on to Donny
Oh Shrewsbury were bollox. They deserved nothing. . They were very poor and dragged us to their level. They will feel aggrieved at what? Pompey were streets ahead without ever leaving 1st gear. What's more they were the worst 259 away fans I've ever not heard!
No once did I hear them.
both sides battled hard, we got the crucial goal, maybe too early. Could not have complained if it had been a draw.
Jacket-ball all second half from us …with no plan B

Only outlet for us was Curtis … and we were so one dimensionally stuck with that it - nothing on the right side at all.

Shocking possession stats I’m sure for that 2nd half considering we could hold the ball up or keep possession. One shot on target - Curtis’ free kick

Clearly we are work in progress … but I’ll take a win when playing poorly

Our keeper MoM for me. Solid
thought the young lad who played 10 and then right wing did ok, clearly not the finished product but was always available and gave them some problems to deal with.
Top o’the League!
If COVID numbers go through the roof and we have to lock down now, we could go up !
Big Grin
What I liked was we tried things and if they didn’t come off they weren’t down hearted or put off from trying again. Bags of potential, the young lad Ahadme looks very calm and skilled on the ball. The ref was awful , I don’t think we got one 50/50 decision. Yes a few more goals would’ve helped but we didn’t get many chances in the 2 nd half as they closed us down.
Can’t understand this new found adoration of John Marquis though, yes he puts a shift in but looks anything but a striker.
Reeco tried to score with the outside of his left foot. Instead it was a good old fashioned toe kick. Enjoyed the game. Another referee making a name for himself for all the wrong reasons.
(18-08-2021, 07:36 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]What I liked was we tried things and if they didn’t come off they weren’t down hearted or put off from trying again. Bags of potential, the young lad Ahadme looks very calm and skilled on the ball. The ref was awful , I don’t think we got one 50/50 decision. Yes a few more goals would’ve helped but we didn’t get many chances in the 2 nd half as they closed us down.
Can’t understand this new found adoration of John Marquis though, yes he puts a shift in but looks anything but a striker.

At least he’s not a defender. That “pass” in our area late on….. ?
Mate of mine who went said 1st half we played well. Then 2nd half was crap. Seems like we are making progress towards being a footballing side.

The results are a bonus at this stage.

An interesting quirk is that after Saturday, we will have played all of the bottom 4 teams (not that that means anything at this stage of the season).
Trevor Kettle the Ref will be 55 years old in December. Surely he will call it a day soon ? He ought to
Needs to go on a diet the fat coont ( and I speak as one fat coont to another).
(18-08-2021, 07:36 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]What I liked was we tried things and if they didn’t come off they weren’t down hearted or put off from trying again. Bags of potential, the young lad Ahadme looks very calm and skilled on the ball. The ref was awful , I don’t think we got one 50/50 decision. Yes a few more goals would’ve helped but we didn’t get many chances in the 2 nd half as they closed us down.

(18-08-2021, 08:49 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Needs to go on a diet the fat coont ( and I speak as one fat coont to another).

Wink
pot kettle and black
Last season, turgid 0-0 draw with Shrews. This season same type of game, particularly second half but we won. Definitely feel there is progress but still work to do. Let's make it 4 wins from 4 at Donny and if we perform really well then all the better. Tuffers is right. What's most important is top of the league. We are a tenth of the way to promotion with 9 points.
Steady on chaps - it’s only three games.
Second half wasn’t very good and we were hanging on at the end. They seemed to bully us off the park a bit. Still, we had injury probs and played well first half. Onwards and upwards. Let’s hope Close doesn’t rediscover his shooting boots. I see Andy Cannon scored two minutes into his debut.
I think we saw the shape of things to come last evening, the opposition clearly know all about Pompey’s high press, play out from the back tactics and will set up accordingly, those who are able will adopt a physical, bullying approach allied to their own pressing game and we stand a good chance of our tactics being nullified.

Our problem won’t be helped by us not having anyone upfront who can regularly unlock L1 defences and we remain bereft of a genuine, predatory striker (this may well come to haunt us in tight games when chances may be few).

I thought we played a game of two halves, the first half we got onto the front foot, Williams, Tunnicliffe and Harness created space and some chances all but one of which were wasted.
The second half increasingly resembled Jacketball and by the end we didn’t even try to bring the ball out, we just lumped it as long as we could……and waited for it to come straight back.

Our cause wasn’t helped by an indifferent referee and injuries but there’s no disguising that we are very much a work in progress and, in my view, in need of somebody who can replace Marquis whose lack of goals is a liability and whose inept pass in his own box came close to undoing Pompey’s do or die defending (his decent strike against Crewe remains something of a collectors item)

The positives I thought were Bazunu, the centre of the defence which stood firm as the pressure mounted, Tunnicliffe who worked his socks off and, fleetingly, Harness and Curtis.

Rochdale and Wigan will be good tests of our defensive mettle and ability to change tactics to something other than Jacketball when Plan A isn’t working.
Wighty, when we playing Rochdale?
Jackettball worked well away from home, so perhaps that should be our approach.
(18-08-2021, 01:32 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]I think we saw the shape of things to come last evening, the opposition clearly know all about Pompey’s high press, play out from the back tactics and will set up accordingly, those who are able will adopt a physical, bullying approach allied to their own pressing game and we stand a good chance of our tactics being nullified.

Our problem won’t be helped by us not having anyone upfront who can regularly unlock L1 defences and we remain bereft of a genuine, predatory striker (this may well come to haunt us in tight games when chances may be few).

I thought we played a game of two halves, the first half we got onto the front foot, Williams, Tunnicliffe and Harness created space and some chances all but one of which were wasted.
The second half increasingly resembled Jacketball and by the end we didn’t even try to bring the ball out, we just lumped it as long as we could……and waited for it to come straight back.

Our cause wasn’t helped by an indifferent referee and injuries but there’s no disguising that we are very much a work in progress and, in my view, in need of somebody who can replace Marquis whose lack of goals is a liability and whose inept pass in his own box came close to undoing Pompey’s do or die defending (his decent strike against Crewe remains something of a collectors item)

The positives I thought were Bazunu, the centre of the defence which stood firm as the pressure mounted, Tunnicliffe who worked his socks off and, fleetingly, Harness and Curtis.

Rochdale and Wigan will be good tests of our defensive mettle and ability to change tactics to something other than Jacketball when Plan A isn’t working.

You are effectively repeating my point. We need a number of game plans.
Pages: 1 2