TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Got ourselves a top keeper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On last night's display we have got ourselves a top keeper, looks the best since David James. He seems to have got the lot as a keeper, tall, big, agile, light on his feet with great handling. He is going to earn us a few points on his own - certainly two points last night with a  blinding reflex save low down to his left from point-blank range. Also I love his central distribution role as a sweeper outside the penalty area - not surprising from his upbringing at Man City. That save brought everyone to their feet around me.
Yes 6'4" and good for Ireland too.
Class act, although I suspect he asked Marquis to set him up for that with that awful backpass to make him look good.
he doesn't look 6'4" which is a good hing i think, lanky keepers can sometimes struggle to get down to shots close to them. So tall, and big and in proportion.
>lanky keepers can sometimes struggle to get down to shots close to them<
Is this pretty much what's usually said about short keepers and high balls? What is the average/best height for a keeper? 6ft?
(18-08-2021, 08:43 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]>lanky keepers can sometimes struggle to get down to shots close to them<
Is this pretty much what's usually said about short keepers and high balls? What is the average/best height for a keeper? 6ft?

Generally with a keeper, amongst the obvious quality of agility, you want someone with a high ape index which is the length of the arm in proportion to height. Good keepers tend to the higher range.
Grobbelar always looked like that especially when he did the wobbly leg thing.

Just been reading Walshy's biography and apparently Bruce never trained at being a keeper, joned in the five a sides and that was about it.
The bigger they are the harder they fall.
Let's hope he doesn't get injured.