TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Raggett?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has he improved that much under DC?
https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/foo...op-5826280
(25-08-2021, 04:33 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]Has he improved that much under DC?
https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/foo...op-5826280

He’s always been a good player but he’s been outstanding this season so far.

I’m amazed at the lack of football nous displayed by some on here.
Our top CB this season so far
the sides that win leagues always have the best defence
so a very good out and out defender who also scores a few corners will do for me.
Saves you more points per season than he costs you
playing alongside a good partner helps also.
(25-08-2021, 07:02 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Saves you more points per season than he costs you

Shame Marquis doesn't get us more points per season than he lets slip.
shame that marquis and Curtis have not got a third attacking player who gets as many assists and goals as they do.
Raggett seems to be one of the most underrated Pompey players of recent years. Most fans seem to have an almost grudging regard for his abilities. 
I seem to remember that in his early days he was the target of some scorn e.g. 'Bambi On Ice' etc, but you have to admit that he is a major figure for us at the back, and so strong in the air. He's now one of those players who you take for granted, just so reliable that you almost take him for granted.
He has come good, but let’s be honest he was shocking when he first arrived
A youngish defender with limited experience who has improved with age and games. Trouble is our fan base do like a player or two each season to pick on if they make a single mistake.
I doubt he would've improved so much under KJ.
(26-08-2021, 02:34 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]He has come good, but let’s be honest he was shocking when he first arrived

No he wasn’t shocking, he made a few mistakes which were pounced on by the football ‘experts’ in the Pompey following.

He’s been outstanding this season but some people are very grudging in their praise.

He will make mistakes again, most players do. The ‘he’s shocking’ mob are just waiting for the opportunity.
The ‘he’s shocking’ mob are just waiting for the opportunity.

spot on sadly
A few mistakes, come on it was almost half a season before he came good. I’m not knocking him at all but he was a disaster waiting to happen when he first arrived. It does happen, not everyone that plays for Pompey is a footballing genius , we’ve had our fair share of dreadfulness over the years.
(27-08-2021, 02:35 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]A few mistakes, come on it was almost half a season before he came good. I’m not knocking him at all but he was a disaster waiting to happen when he first arrived. It does happen, not everyone that plays for Pompey is a footballing genius , we’ve had our fair share of dreadfulness over the years.

Half a season is a bit of an exaggeration. As soon as Burgess replaced Downing he started to play well, and won many over with his 'raggettino' performanes.  The Burgess / Raggett partnership was in place before the end of September, the only people slagging him off after that were those who make their minds up early and never change them despite the evidence of their own eyes.
(27-08-2021, 02:35 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ] we’ve had our fair share of dreadfulness over the years.

Donkey Baird, Kenny Black, Jamie Vincent, Lee Mills, Carl Tiler, Yoshi, Chalkias, Devra, Michael Smith (now at Rotherham), Drew Talbot and Ben Chorley  to name just a few
He wasn't fit when he arrived. I was one of those who thought he was a poor signing but he's proved wrong thankfully.
I'm just glad he's playing well in what looks like a solid defence all round Robertson, Freeman and Ogilvie are good experienced recruits.  It bodes well from what we've seen so far.