TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Craig Foster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Great story ... but surely he was a midfielder ?
Seconded !
He was Deep as far as I can remember
(04-09-2021, 01:33 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]He was Deep as far as I can remember

He was by far the best of the three players Venables brought over from Australia (Enes & Thorp were the other two), took a while to settle but by the time he moved to Palace he was one of our better players.  I remember him best for scoring two goals in a cup game against Villa.
(04-09-2021, 01:56 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-09-2021, 01:33 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]He was Deep as far as I can remember

He was by far the best of the three players Venables brought over from Australia (Enes & Thorp were the other two), took a while to settle but by the time he moved to Palace he was one of our better players.  I remember him best for scoring two goals in a cup game against Villa.

Crikey I remember that. I think they were both deflected as well. Pretty sure we led 2-0. Jan 98??
Foster and John Aloisi were by far the best aussies from that period
(04-09-2021, 03:18 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Foster and John Aloisi were by far the best aussies from that period

Aloisi was streets ahead in class, but we got him separately to the other three from Spain.

I always thought Robbie Enes had potential but never got many chances, whereas Hamilton Thorp wasn't even a footballer !  We had young aussie winger around the same time as well (Harries ?) - he never made it either.
(04-09-2021, 03:38 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-09-2021, 03:18 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Foster and John Aloisi were by far the best aussies from that period

Aloisi was streets ahead in class, but we got him separately to the other three from Spain.

I always thought Robbie Enes had potential but never got many chances, whereas Hamilton Thorp wasn't even a footballer !  We had young aussie winger around the same time as well (Harries ?) - he never made it either.
I think the Aussie winger you were talking about was Michael Panopoulos
No, Panopoulos was an Alan Ball signing later. There was a rumour that he ended up signing the wrong player because of a mix-up over names, but no idea if that was true.

The guy I was thinking of was Paul Harries, and looking him up he only made one appearance as sub in 1997.