TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Strength in depth.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think based on last night's performance it's clear we have none.

We need to pray we can go through a season without any injuries to our first team. Far too many cheap options stealing a living as footballers. They know who they are.
I watched on iFollow last night and endorse your view that our second string looks second rate !

Out defence never subdued Wimbledon, in fact, Wimbledon played as if they knew our defence was here for the taking which it clearly was.

I felt sorry for Simon Eastwood, he must have felt that he had been loaned to The Keystone Cops, bet he can’t wait to get back to Sheffield.

Midfield rarely functioned and Hirst was awful, only Harrison impressed although he was aided and abetted by a Yoshi Kowaguchi type goalkeeper in The Dons goal.

Full and fulsome praise to the Pompey fans who attended, supported their team marvellously, made loads of noise……..but let down by those on the pitch wearing the shirt (and by The Cowleys who were the ringmasters of the Pompey Circus).

The bunch of kids on the Pompey bench need to grow up quickly, they may be pressed into action sooner than they think if we get injuries.
good to read Cowley saying that some who played are not at the standard required to play in this team.
OP I think we knew that before a ball was kicked this season. DC needs four windows
To put it frankly this group of players is made up of has-beens, cast-offs, loans and free transfers, most of whom are at the tail-end of their careers. The only shining lights from which we might reasonably expect more are Morrell and Jacobs, In their midst by some sort of real quirk of fortune is a quite stunning acquisition in Bazunu who appears likely to win us more points than any other.
Tunnicliffe also a good signing. Any player at this level is likely to be inconsistent, the best ones play well or at least adequately more often than not
Early days, harsh to have a pop at the Cowleys I think. They'll know what they need and what's needed with what they currently have so let's go with the flow.
Morrell will need to stand up and be counted though, it's all well and good pulling your finger out against the Italys and Belgiums let's see him do it regularly against the Gillinghams and Fleetwoods.
The news review did include the word "rusty"
So lets hope that some are better than first view. Johnstone, right back, did not look much to start (Downing too?) but certainly won me over.
Our loanee at Bromley sounded like he had a bit of a mare for a start.
(08-09-2021, 09:04 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]I watched on iFollow last night and endorse your view that our second string looks second rate !

Out defence never subdued Wimbledon, in fact, Wimbledon played as if they knew our defence was here for the taking which it clearly was.

I felt sorry for Simon Eastwood, he must have felt that he had been loaned to The Keystone Cops, bet he can’t wait to get back to Sheffield.

Midfield rarely functioned and Hirst was awful, only Harrison impressed although he was aided and abetted by a Yoshi Kowaguchi type goalkeeper in The Dons goal.

Full and fulsome praise to the Pompey fans who attended, supported their team marvellously, made loads of noise……..but let down by those on the pitch wearing the shirt (and by The Cowleys who were the ringmasters of the Pompey Circus).

The bunch of kids on the Pompey bench need to grow up quickly, they may be pressed into action sooner than they think if we get injuries.

It wasn't Simon Eastwood ... it was Jake Eastwood.
(08-09-2021, 12:08 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]The news review did include the word "rusty"
So lets hope that some are better than first view. Johnstone, right back, did not look much to start (Downing too?) but certainly won me over.

Johnstone ??
"To put it frankly this group of players is made up of has-beens, cast-offs, loans and free transfers, most of whom are at the tail-end of their careers"

Sounds like how Redknapp won Div 1 and kept us up in the first year in the Prem. No crowing then 
(08-09-2021, 12:34 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2021, 12:08 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]The news review did include the word "rusty"

Johnstone ??

that's why i added right back, rubbish at speeling players names
Seems to me most of the promotion sides I've watched (Champions all?) have been made up of rejects from higher leagues, some discoveries from non league, a mix of journeymen and a sprinkling of pompey trained youngsters. Always including a couple of old heads whose legs might be going but make up for it in other ways.
Re: Eastwood

Oops my mistake……but I bet Jake Eastwood was still pleased to be heading back to Sheffield !
(08-09-2021, 01:10 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Seems to me most of the promotion sides I've watched (Champions all?) have been made up of rejects from higher leagues, some discoveries from non league, a mix of journeymen and a sprinkling of pompey trained youngsters. Always including a couple of old heads whose legs might be going but make up for it in other ways.

How overweight was Joe Laidlaw, and yet he still had it.
Not sure if Aspinal still had much beyond a massive waistline towards the end of his career.
After the anti-football Jacketball of the last 3 seasons it is going to take more than 1 transfer window to build a squad capable of a sustainable challenge for promotion.

The Cowleys have done wonders to build the squad they have in since the end of last season, there has only been one over 30 year old signing in Williams. The rest in the main have points to prove and are coachable to achieve our aims.

Some fans need to face reality and stop getting their knickers in a twist because we havn't gone out and splashed the cash on a load of dross.

PUP PPU
(08-09-2021, 06:55 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if Aspinal still had much beyond a massive waistline towards the end of his career.

I could be mistaken but I think Aspinall and Butters ended their careers together at Brighton.  They must have played some nippers to do all their running
It's fair to say I've enjoyed watching the Cowley's sides on more occasions than I haven't which is not something I could say of the Jackett sides, regardless of win, loss or draw records. It's far too early to say which will be more successful in the long run but I know which style I'd rather be in front of me on the pitch.

For the money available to us, it's a decent side and I doubt you'll find many League 1 teamswith a huge depth of talent in the squad, the finances just are not there. As coaches the Cowley's are trusted hands based on the loans and trust put in them by higher league sides, so they can bring players on. As the season progresses I fully expect the strength of the squad as a whole to improve.

With a little bit of luck around injuries and a few results going our way we could easily be challenging for the automatics, that'll do for me.
(09-09-2021, 07:56 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]It's fair to say I've enjoyed watching the Cowley's sides on more occasions than I haven't which is not something I could say of the Jackett sides, regardless of win, loss or draw records. It's far too early to say which will be more successful in the long run but I know which style I'd rather be in front of me on the pitch.

For the money available to us, it's a decent side and I doubt you'll find many League 1 teamswith a huge depth of talent in the squad, the finances just are not there. As coaches the Cowley's are trusted hands based on the loans and trust put in them by higher league sides, so they can bring players on. As the season progresses I fully expect the strength of the squad as a whole to improve.

With a little bit of luck around injuries and a few results going our way we could easily be challenging for the automatics, that'll do for me.

I agree with that in general. Need to get the strikers firing to have a chance of automatic promotion. Hope Harrison's hat-trick gives him some confidence.