TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: A first half without a shot on goal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Same old, same old, too many hopeful balls over the top which, thus far, have been gobbled up by Cambridge. The very occasional move at pace seems to at least mildly discomfort the Cambridge defence…but not half as much as the Cambridge move down their right discomforted Pompey, simple cross to the far post and the lone opposition striker rose above two blue shirts and in it went.

Azeez and Romeo trying to get involved but those around them are not generally on the same wavelength, DC needs to do a bit of arse kicking this halftime and maybe bring a bit more creativity to the team.
I'm watching on ifollow and it's completely shit.
Me too, all three subs on…..and we go 2-0 down
Heavens above, we’ve scored a goal !

Well taken by Curtis
Jiz
My iFollow has gone back to 24th minutes, yours ?
Mine's alright but the football's shy te
Back live in time to see the end of the game, what a shambles of a performance

Where do Pompey go from here ? Down the table I guess, 15th now and Plymouth and Charlton aren’t likely to see us climbing.

Doubtless the Eisner/ Cowley apologists will find plenty of positives as will Cowley himself but, for me, we are no better than under Jackett and positives are hard to find.
My feed was fine all though the game.

I've lost patience with the Cowleys. 1 good game in 7, hardly any goals or shots on target. The game plan seems random.
All the pre season talk about high pressing and fast attacking football....utter bullshit. They can feck off!
Is this a budget problem or a coaching one or both?

Where was Jacobs today as Not on the bench so injured again?
I'd ask the same question about Jacobs.
I was unfortunate to make the trip to MK.
We looked great for about 15 minutes in the 2nd half. High press, rapid passing and all the rest. Then conceded and collapsed.
Why wait until 2 down to put two up front. We can hardly create less chances with less in midfield.
The Cowleys are struggling to get anything to gel and click and I think it’s safe to say they are starting to show they are out of their depth . Sliding down the table and looking downwards . Cheap managerial option wasn’t the answer
But hang on we were assured that this was a first rate squad. I don’t know how I managed to type that with a straight face. Truth is on current form it is a poor, poor squad showing little sign of improving. As for the Club failing to recruit a goal scorer just don’t start me. How does a football club function without a goal scoring striker in its squad?
We do have a goal scoring striker in the squad. Marquis has done so at this level all his career. So set the team up to give him 2 chances in the box per half game.
At present we are struggling to create one chance a game.
Where was the passion? Surely Cowley hasn't lost the dressing room already.
Just back. It was shocking. 57 mins for the first shot at goal. Curtis, petulant and anonymous ( goal aside). No attacking threat whatsoever. Tunnicliffe, Harness and Romeo played well. Azeez anonymous first half . Marquis and Hirst ( is that all we’ve got FFS). DC needs to get back to basics and stop talking bollix about number 4 , 6’s and whatever else. It’s a simple game, put your feckin iPad down and sort it out. It was embarrassing.
(18-09-2021, 05:01 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ] get back to basics and stop talking bollix about number 4 , 6’s and whatever else. It’s a simple game, put your feckin iPad down and sort it out. It was embarrassing.
I seem to recall Steve Claridge doing exactly that when he took on a dispirited squad who were easy to beat.
put the players where they felt most comfortable. First stopped shipping goals, then went on to score enough.
442 I would guess from memory.
our front players cannot make this set up work, none of them. So set the team up to help them do their job. 2 up front ditch the number ten thing that not one player has made work in 4 years or more of trying them all.
(18-09-2021, 05:01 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Just back. It was shocking. 57 mins for the first shot at goal. Curtis, petulant and anonymous ( goal aside). No attacking threat whatsoever. Tunnicliffe, Harness and Romeo played well. Azeez anonymous first half . Marquis and Hirst ( is that all we’ve got FFS). DC needs to get back to basics and stop talking bollix about number 4 , 6’s and whatever else. It’s a simple game, put your feckin iPad down and sort it out. It was embarrassing.

Sorry mate how the hell you think Harness had a good game beats me. He did what he does most games and that was nothing. Typically when he ran through from our half he couldn’t find a blue shirt even the shot was on and he didn’t take it.
Cowley’s change of Harrison for Marquis was baffling when 5 minutes later he brings Hirst on and went 442 why didn’t he leave Harrison on and see if he and Marquis could do something together.
It was awful, lacked drive passion and desire. This was not the football I was expecting from the Cowley’s.
Again another shambles of the pitch as well on it, with the entry into the ground. The simple solution was to have a steward on every turnstile to explain how to use the new cards. Piss up in a brewery springs to mind with our club of late.
Agree about bringing Marquis on for Harrison. Yes Harness does flatter to deceive but today I thought he did well with no other options up front, at least he wanted the ball unlike Curtis who was mostly absent
(18-09-2021, 05:51 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Agree about bringing Marquis on for Harrison. Yes Harness does flatter to deceive but today I thought he did well with no other options up front, at least he wanted the ball unlike Curtis who was mostly absent

And who is the competition to Curtis? Jacobs - who didn't even make the squad. No wonder Curtis can't be bothered.
Without any mention of an injury, Cowley has some explaining to do about why one of our most creative players he is not being selected.
Back live in time to see the end of the game, what a shambles of a performance

Where do Pompey go from here ? Down the table I guess, 15th now and Plymouth and Charlton aren’t likely to see us climbing.

Doubtless the Eisner/ Cowley apologists will find plenty of positives as will Cowley himself but, for me, we are no better than under Jackett and positives are hard to find.
It was effin Cambridge, starting to think that our current manager is all smoke and mirrors, talks the talk but doesn’t appear to deliver much. That said, if you assemble a Poundland squad what do we expect to get?
The system/plan/style, whatever, changes each game. No wonder that the BTEC players in the squad are unable to settle into a regular pattern of play and perform consistently. So frustrating to watch such ineptitude and know that, Jacobs aside, there is no-one else who could make a difference.