TrueBlueArmy Forums
Totally unacceptable - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Totally unacceptable (/showthread.php?tid=3305)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Totally unacceptable - Hammie - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 04:42 PM)mikey393 Wrote: This is already looking like a repeat of last season. Drawing games at home which we should be winning. Fortunately, other teams at the top lost but that doesn't hide the fact that we messed up at home again.

Cheltenham came with a defensive plan for a point & achieved it.
We ran out of ideas quickly & had No Plan 'B'.

No I didn't go yesterday although I was offered a seat at too late a stage.
I listened to Guy & Andy Moon on iFollow radio coverage & really glad I didn't go!

The team isn't as good as last year I believe after ME stating he was prepared to spend on the team.
Most of the new recruits are on Frees & the 2 loans look good but probably Not on massive wages.

The formation is too defensive for Home Games  & away games against weaker opponents.
Bishop is a 20+ goal striker but needs support & Not convinced Saydee has enough quality to score 10+ goals.

Hopefully, more funds are available to strenthen the team before the transfer window shuts & also in January for a final push for promotion.

The first team is much as it was apart from replacing two loan wingers who produced few assists between them with 4 who beten them have already produced a few goals for other players.
What we have done is improve the back up markedly which should help prevent the sort of mid season collapse we saw. Also as the owner pointed out, we are less likely to be hit by good loans being recalled or bad loans eating up the wage budget for the whole season. 
I would expect to see something in centre mid bought in to cover for Lowery as we seem a little thin in there and cannot rely on a young first season loan to do it all on his own.

RE: Totally unacceptable - slayer - 20-08-2023

Don't you mean sounding, Mikey?

RE: Totally unacceptable - TheSyrup - 20-08-2023

Ian Darke on twatter had it exactly right 
No pace, power or skill out wide.
We have just replaced 2 poor so called wingers with 2 so called wingers on 2-3 year contracts.
So fcuking dull to watch and certainly never going to attract youngsters to come and watch.
What I don’t understand is why we can all see what is required and the so called experts continue to make the same mistakes.
Another 6 games like that and it won’t be worth leaving the pub.

RE: Totally unacceptable - Pompeyg100 - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 04:42 PM)mikey393 Wrote: This is already looking like a repeat of last season. Drawing games at home which we should be winning. Fortunately, other teams at the top lost but that doesn't hide the fact that we messed up at home again.

I listened to Guy & Andy Moon on iFollow radio coverage & really glad I didn't go!

The team isn't as good as last year I believe after ME stating he was prepared to spend on the team.
Most of the new recruits are on Frees & the 2 loans look good but probably Not on massive wages.

The formation is too defensive for Home Games  & away games against weaker opponents.
Bishop is a 20+ goal striker but needs support & Not convinced Saydee has enough quality to score 10+ goals.

Hopefully, more funds are available to strenthen the team before the transfer window shuts & also in January for a final push for promotion.

How do you know all this without watching the games?

RE: Totally unacceptable - Cunninglinguist - 20-08-2023

Apart from a very solid looking defence, is there any great difference between what we saw yesterday and what we experienced under Cowley?

RE: Totally unacceptable - Pompeyg100 - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 06:33 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Apart from a very solid looking defence, is there any great difference between what we saw yesterday and what we experienced under Cowley?

It was one game, the season isn’t over because of the performance or result yesterday.

We weren’t at our best. Christ it was talk of promotion after Tuesday!

Calm down ladies.

RE: Totally unacceptable - Cunninglinguist - 20-08-2023

I totally agree with your first sentence but my question still stands.

Personally, I thought Tuesdays performance was very sound but I’d already stated that we haven’t achieved anything yet and to turn it on it’s head, Tuesday is the only really decent performance I’ve seen so far.

RE: Totally unacceptable - D'Alessandro dreaming - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 06:33 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Apart from a very solid looking defence, is there any great difference between what we saw yesterday and what we experienced under Cowley?

That is quite a big "apart from" in all fairness. I could say "apart from" having a serious threat from the flank, Pompey are a team good enough to win this league convincingly. A strong defence is so often the basis of a promotion push.

RE: Totally unacceptable - Hammie - 20-08-2023

Are we saying that the average prem game is exciting to watch?

RE: Totally unacceptable - D'Alessandro dreaming - 21-08-2023

We are seeing dramatic 'solutions' to our wide problem like a wing back system when we don't have wing backs. I think at the moment we just have to keep the faith with Scully and Whythe until they either turn it on or it becomes abundantly clear that they never will.

RE: Totally unacceptable - Daniel - 21-08-2023

(21-08-2023, 06:51 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: We are seeing dramatic 'solutions' to our wide problem like a wing back system when we don't have wing backs. I think at the moment we just have to keep the faith with Scully and Whythe until they either turn it on or it becomes abundantly clear that they never will.

Sparkes and Swanson could definitely play as wing backs

RE: Totally unacceptable - firqdays - 21-08-2023

I agree Dan that Swanson must be getting a start soon.
I place him as a more natural wing back and he should get a shout.

RE: Totally unacceptable - teeftwo - 21-08-2023

Being frustrated at one game is understandable. Throwing your toys out of the pram about tactics, management, recruitment, the owners etc etc requires sheet checking.

Played 4, won 2, drawn 2, lost none. Scored 6, conceded 1.

It's too early to get too high or too low. Keep yourselves dry and calm down you hysterical tarts.

RE: Totally unacceptable - Gerry Hatrick - 21-08-2023

(21-08-2023, 06:51 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: We are seeing dramatic 'solutions' to our wide problem like a wing back system when we don't have wing backs. I think at the moment we just have to keep the faith with Scully and Whythe until they either turn it on or it becomes abundantly clear that they never will.

As long as it's not as patient - and pointless - a wait as it was with Owen Dale.
I would already axe Whyte and get Lane in there. Scully's worth a few more games. 
Trouble is.......Whyte and Mousi are mates, aren't they?

RE: Totally unacceptable - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 21-08-2023

A thing about wing backs if the other team is just parking the bus then they won’t have to run back and do much defending anyway. It just means another striker in the box to poach or create that goal we are looking for to pull the opposition out of their shells. It’s not rocket science that if they’re sitting back then we need to pile forward and put the pressure on. Almost like a football version of ‘Baz ball’ where the best way to win a game is to go for it and if we get done on the counter attack then so be it. Let’s learn from this match and move on to better things

RE: Totally unacceptable - Daniel - 21-08-2023

(21-08-2023, 10:43 AM)teeftwo Wrote: Being frustrated at one game is understandable. Throwing your toys out of the pram about tactics, management, recruitment, the owners etc etc requires sheet checking.

Played 4, won 2, drawn 2, lost none. Scored 6, conceded 1.

It's too early to get too high or too low. Keep yourselves dry and calm down you hysterical tarts.

Currently on for 92 points!

RE: Totally unacceptable - Cunninglinguist - 21-08-2023

I’m certainly not throwing my toys out after one game.

I wasn’t convinced by the Rovers game. Nor did I think we’d swept Orient majestically aside (in spite of a four nil result). The Exeter game was by far the best performance, for me. Cheltenham was very very ordinary.

In short, I don’t see an automatic promotion winning team. I hope they improve to get at least a playoff place but after four games……I’m not on a promotion band wagon yet. I think we’ve got a weak link in Pack and service and support for Bishop in the box are lacking.

But we have got a bloody solid looking defence and that gives us a good start.

RE: Totally unacceptable - slayer - 21-08-2023

And yet, we know from several years of experience that you can be total shit for 6 weeks, then win two games and be back in the playoffs.

RE: Totally unacceptable - kindofblue - 21-08-2023

At heart football is supposed to be entertaining. There's something a bit wrong when games just give you frustration and narcolepsy. The most exciting thing about Saturday was the officials getting crocked.

RE: Totally unacceptable - Hammie - 21-08-2023

(21-08-2023, 05:01 PM)kindofblue Wrote: At heart football is supposed to be entertaining. There's something a bit wrong when games just give you frustration and narcolepsy. The most exciting thing about Saturday was the officials getting crocked.

It used to be mostly entertaining with most teams attacking when they could and far less organised coaching of cheating.
Alan Knight went on record to say how boring he would find it to be a 'keeper these days. 

Playing 6 defenders at home to a very weak team does not help. 

2 up front is widely derided but would give defenders far more to worry about.

RE: Totally unacceptable - bluetagagain - 21-08-2023

“ 2 up front is widely derided but would give defenders far more to worry about.”

Or playing two wide players that are actually wingers and will run at and take on the fullback - at least occasionally- before sending over a decent cross. If not, then why not just play 3 attacking midfielders behind the striker like Ipswich do. We have the players.

RE: Totally unacceptable - Gerry Hatrick - 21-08-2023

(21-08-2023, 05:01 PM)kindofblue Wrote: At heart football is supposed to be entertaining. There's something a bit wrong when games just give you frustration and narcolepsy. The most exciting thing about Saturday was the officials getting crocked.

We've been in this wretched division for so long I'm long finished with 'entertainment'. For me it's now all about results.

RE: Totally unacceptable - Hammie - 21-08-2023

I do think Scully tries to take on the man and beat him.
Whyte, don't but according to various comments, he has never been that sort of "winger"
Camara looks like he could frighten a few full backs with his pace, not seen enough to know if he can beat them with skill too.

RE: Totally unacceptable - Pompeyg100 - 21-08-2023

(21-08-2023, 04:46 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: I’m certainly not throwing my toys out after one game.

I wasn’t convinced by the Rovers game. Nor did I think we’d swept Orient majestically aside (in spite of a four nil result). The Exeter game was by far the best performance, for me. Cheltenham was very very ordinary.

In short, I don’t see an automatic promotion winning team. I hope they improve to get at least a playoff place but after four games……I’m not on a promotion band wagon yet. I think we’ve got a weak link in Pack and service and support for Bishop in the box are lacking.

But we have got a bloody solid looking defence and that gives us a good start.

Yet we’re in the playoffs and on course for 92 points.

There’s an awful long way to go, nothing is decided in August.

RE: Totally unacceptable - mikey393 - 21-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 06:24 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

How do you know all this without watching the games?
I saw enough watching the Exeter game on Sky to ascertain the player quality.
It's overall Not good enough in my humble opinion.