TrueBlueArmy Forums
Steve Evans - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Steve Evans (/showthread.php?tid=3728)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Steve Evans - Cunninglinguist - 03-01-2024

Well, you’re no fun!!!

RE: Steve Evans - exgaffer - 03-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 09:26 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: I prefer to judge a manager by the football his team plays rather than by what he says or how funny or entertaining he is. 

And Evans' teams play horrible football that I would not want to watch every week.

If he was Pompey manager and getting results you would go to watch his team play and you know you would.

He is popular at pretty much every club he manages and does a great job on a small budget, all power to him I say.

RE: Steve Evans - DeepBlue - 03-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 06:19 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 03:55 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 10:36 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 09:26 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: I prefer to judge a manager by the football his team plays rather than by what he says or how funny or entertaining he is. 

And Evans' teams play horrible football that I would not want to watch every week.

They didn’t play horrible football on Monday. They poured ball after ball into our box and pinned us to the wall. I love it when we do that to other teams. They’ve got some very good players too.

Their tactic was to stop the game flowing by committing 19 fouls picking up 6 yellows and one red, take 110 secs to take one free kick (I timed one after despairing at how long the previous one had taken) to waste time when not losing,  target Morrell and Pack to try and get one them them sent off, dive to get free-kicks anywhere in our half and then launch the free kicks long in the hope of getting a knock-down.  Horrible football, and horrible to watch and totally unecessary because they have got good players who are not out of place in the play-off zone.  

His achievement is the players he has managed  to persuade to the join such a small club. More so than what he is doing with them.
I do love an argument.

20 fouls, apparently. Which was 6 less than us. Pack should have had a red for his fouls.
As to time wasting…..Norris, anyone?
Targeting players to get them sent off…..ahem, Morrell, isn’t that what he is so good at?
Free kicks, to get the ball into the box? I don’t particularly remember that happening, apart from Thompsons usual antics (oh how we laughed when he did that for us).

They certainly didn’t come for a draw. We were pummelled into near submission by an attacking team in the second half. If it had ended as a draw, I wouldn’t have complained.

I've looked at three different sources for foul stats and all showed them as 19 or 20, and us as 12,13 or 14 so I'd love to see your source that we had 26 !  That's complete nonsense. And no-one in the division had more fouls than  Stevenage on Monday.  And no-one avergaes more fouls per match over the whole season than Stevenage. They are the dirtiest team in the division.

Those numbers are facts, the rest is opinion. I didn't think think Pack committed one yellow card offence let alone two, the one he got was harsh. And no I've never seen Morrell target opposition players to get them sent off, he just likes a good tackle and that leads to lots of yellows when he mistimes them, but targettig individuals ? Name me one. 

And I didn't see Thompson do any of his trademark tumbles in this game ?  Perhaps we weren't watching the same game, but at the very least we'll have to agree to differ. 

But I'd agree Norris wastes time too, nowhere near the scale of Butler's free kicks though, and I wish he wouldn't. But the fact that he does it does not make it OK for the other teams to do it worse. Two wrongs don't make a right.

RE: Steve Evans - dsmg - 03-01-2024

Pack pulled the guy back, stopping an attack. These days that’s almost always a yellow.

RE: Steve Evans - bluebollox - 03-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 07:11 PM)exgaffer Wrote:

If he was Pompey manager and getting results you would go to watch his team play and you know you would.

He is popular at pretty much every club he manages and does a great job on a small budget, all power to him I say.

Evening gaffer, I would go of course I would. Ive been watching since George Smith & seen all manner of shit on the pitch @ FP. But I wouldn't necessarily enjoy watching that shite week in week out. 
As I said it was a bit of Cotterball & Jackettball imo. I survived that so I'd probably survive anything Evans could produce. But I'm bloody pleased we've got Mousinho & not Evans tbh.  Smile

RE: Steve Evans - Hammie - 03-01-2024

At the end of the day the clash of styles made for a fantastic, edge of your seat, sort of game of football. If he had changed nothing, his team would have been played off the park. He had the guts to make three changes and stopped us playing and could very easily have got a draw or even a win. Says a huge amount for our team that they did not crumble and kept a clean sheet in the second half.
For anyone who saw us play Wimbledon or Cambridge at their ultra long ball worst, Stevenage are a completely different kettle of fish.

RE: Steve Evans - Cunninglinguist - 03-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 07:25 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 06:19 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 03:55 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 10:36 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

They didn’t play horrible football on Monday. They poured ball after ball into our box and pinned us to the wall. I love it when we do that to other teams. They’ve got some very good players too.

Their tactic was to stop the game flowing by committing 19 fouls picking up 6 yellows and one red, take 110 secs to take one free kick (I timed one after despairing at how long the previous one had taken) to waste time when not losing,  target Morrell and Pack to try and get one them them sent off, dive to get free-kicks anywhere in our half and then launch the free kicks long in the hope of getting a knock-down.  Horrible football, and horrible to watch and totally unecessary because they have got good players who are not out of place in the play-off zone.  

His achievement is the players he has managed  to persuade to the join such a small club. More so than what he is doing with them.
I do love an argument.

20 fouls, apparently. Which was 6 less than us. Pack should have had a red for his fouls.
As to time wasting…..Norris, anyone?
Targeting players to get them sent off…..ahem, Morrell, isn’t that what he is so good at?
Free kicks, to get the ball into the box? I don’t particularly remember that happening, apart from Thompsons usual antics (oh how we laughed when he did that for us).

They certainly didn’t come for a draw. We were pummelled into near submission by an attacking team in the second half. If it had ended as a draw, I wouldn’t have complained.

I've looked at three different sources for foul stats and all showed them as 19 or 20, and us as 12,13 or 14 so I'd love to see your source that we had 26 !  That's complete nonsense. And no-one in the division had more fouls than  Stevenage on Monday.  And no-one avergaes more fouls per match over the whole season than Stevenage. They are the dirtiest team in the division.

Those numbers are facts, the rest is opinion. I didn't think think Pack committed one yellow card offence let alone two, the one he got was harsh. And no I've never seen Morrell target opposition players to get them sent off, he just likes a good tackle and that leads to lots of yellows when he mistimes them, but targettig individuals ? Name me one. 

And I didn't see Thompson do any of his trademark tumbles in this game ?  Perhaps we weren't watching the same game, but at the very least we'll have to agree to differ. 

But I'd agree Norris wastes time too, nowhere near the scale of Butler's free kicks though, and I wish he wouldn't. But the fact that he does it does not make it OK for the other teams to do it worse. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Quite right, 6 more.

The rest is opinion. I do like an opinion and I never really care if I’m right or not. It’s such fun!

RE: Steve Evans - exgaffer - 03-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 07:55 PM)bluebollox Wrote:

Evening gaffer, I would go of course I would. Ive been watching since George Smith & seen all manner of shit on the pitch @ FP. But I wouldn't necessarily enjoy watching that shite week in week out. 
As I said it was a bit of Cotterball & Jackettball imo. I survived that so I'd probably survive anything Evans could produce. But I'm bloody pleased we've got Mousinho & not Evans tbh.  Smile

Evening mush.

If we were winning you would enjoy it, we all would. Big Grin

RE: Steve Evans - Hammie - 03-01-2024

No club now remotely approaches the long ball under Bassett.
Successful, but oh my god.
Anyone who watched us at Plough lane, watching the entirety of both teams sprinting away from us as the keeper picked up the ball. That and an even worse challenge on Alan Knight than that on Saturday.

RE: Steve Evans - Tomsk - 04-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 08:41 PM)Hammie Wrote: ...That and an even worse challenge on Alan Knight than that on Saturday.

By Eric Young iirc even though Fashanu took the 85 minutes of retribution in a case of mistaken identity

RE: Steve Evans - exgaffer - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 11:27 AM)Tomsk Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 08:41 PM)Hammie Wrote: ...That and an even worse challenge on Alan Knight than that on Saturday.

By Eric Young iirc even though Fashanu took the 85 minutes of retribution in a case of mistaken identity

Yes I was behind the goal at that match, I can still hear the sickening crunch of that awful challenge by Young.

RE: Steve Evans - Tomsk - 04-01-2024

Double post

RE: Steve Evans - Lawrence - 04-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 08:38 PM)exgaffer Wrote:

Evening mush.

I remember walking back from another jacketball-inspired win and having to remind myself that we actually won the game! I'm no west ham snob, but god it was awful to watch most times.

RE: Steve Evans - exgaffer - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 02:37 PM)Lawrence Wrote:

Evening mush.

I remember walking back from another jacketball-inspired win and having to remind myself that we actually won the game! I'm no west ham snob, but god it was awful to watch most times.

Jackett was a defender and didn’t really understand how to attack, which was why he was ultimately a failure.

RE: Steve Evans - bluetagagain - 04-01-2024

But mostly because he was a dinosaur and mostly useless. Rode his luck far far too long at FP.

RE: Steve Evans - Hermann's_no_hermit - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 04:52 PM)exgaffer Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 07:11 PM)exgaffer Wrote: If he was Pompey manager and getting results you would go to watch his team play and you know you would.

Evening mush.

Jackett was a defender and didn’t really understand how to attack, which was why he was ultimately a failure.
Mousinho was also a defender as have been many successful managers. Not sure we can blame that on why he was a failure

RE: Steve Evans - Hammie - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 06:47 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 07:55 PM)bluebollox Wrote: Evening gaffer, I would go of course I would. Ive been watching since George Smith & seen all manner of shit on the pitch @ FP. But I wouldn't necessarily enjoy watching that shite week in week out. 

Evening mush.

Mousinho was also a defender as have been many successful managers. Not sure we can blame that on why he was a failure

Jackett played for Watford in their long ball phase under Graham Taylor. For a team on a budget, a decent shout as a manager. A shame that he was not prepared to adapt his style at home, our away form was the best for many years.

RE: Steve Evans - 66zoolane - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 07:45 PM)Hammie Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 08:38 PM)exgaffer Wrote: Evening mush.

Jackett played for Watford in their long ball phase under Graham Taylor. For a team on a budget, a decent shout as a manager. A shame that he was not prepared to adapt his style at home, our away form was the best for many years.

I saw a lot of games at Vicarage Road during that era, and yes they were long ball, but it wasn't much like Jackett ball. They had a clever winger and a fast winger (Barnes and Callaghan), often two in the middle of attack and almost always going forward. Seems like Kenny only took half of Taylor's ideas away with him.

RE: Steve Evans - Hammie - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 08:00 PM)66zoolane Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 07:45 PM)Hammie Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 02:37 PM)Lawrence Wrote: I remember walking back from another jacketball-inspired win and having to remind myself that we actually won the game! I'm no west ham snob, but god it was awful to watch most times.

I reckon if we had John Barnes in the team we would have got promoted, or Luther Blissett. Good players do make a difference 

I saw a lot of games at Vicarage Road during that era, and yes they were long ball, but it wasn't much like Jackett ball. They had a clever winger and a fast winger (Barnes and Callaghan), often two in the middle of attack and almost always going forward. Seems like Kenny only took half of Taylor's ideas away with him.