TrueBlueArmy Forums
The Academy - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Academy (/showthread.php?tid=4290)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The Academy - Cunninglinguist - 17-06-2024

Totally agree with all that.

I still don’t see why playing other academies who have a status of cat 2, or below, would be pointless.

RE: The Academy - Isley46 - 17-06-2024

No - take Brentford and Hull as examples - (although Brentford now have reinstated their academy)

Took the path of picking up U18 / first yr pros that had been released and utilising them in an U23 team.

RE: The Academy - Isley46 - 17-06-2024

The original academy model was set up to raise the standard of UK home grown players with the goal of winning the world cup.

As such, each registered academy receives funding from the league each year towards the running costs - from memory a CAT 1 will receive around £5M per year which reduces with each category (I think a CAT 3 gets about £1.75M from the league).

When a kid joins an academy they are usually told that the aim it to eventually get a pro contract within the game - but it will not necessarily be with the club that they have just joined. If a club manages to unearth a gem and hold onto them or sell them on for a profit then that is to the club's advantage but not necessarily the aim of an academy.

RE: The Academy - teeftwo - 17-06-2024

Category 1 costs somewhere in the region of 3 million pounds a year to fund at a minimum, the richer clubs spend a lot more than that. There are no freely available figures I could find that show how much each academy receives from the Premier League and FA.

It's very much economies of scale at work. The bigger the club, the more they spend, they more likely they are to make a bit of money (or rather save money on buying in players). Portsmouth do not, and probably will not for very many years, exist at at level where that is affordable.

If you look at Swansea, for an example, when they had a Category One academy it was costing them 6-7 million a year to run. Dropping down to Category Two meant costs would reduce to around 2 million.

You can still compete in the regional U23 competitions at Cat 2, but not in Premier League 2. You may, if fortunate, cover your costs or maybe make a couple of million either by saving in transfers or in sales at that level.

Perhaps at some point in the future, when everything else that will make more money or is better value has been undertaken, there would come a time when the club should consider this. But we are quite a long way from that.

RE: The Academy - Cunninglinguist - 17-06-2024

(17-06-2024, 02:47 PM)teeftwo Wrote: Category 1 costs somewhere in the region of 3 million pounds a year to fund at a minimum, the richer clubs spend a lot more than that. There are no freely available figures I could find that show how much each academy receives from the Premier League and FA.

It's very much economies of scale at work. The bigger the club, the more they spend, they more likely they are to make a bit of money (or rather save money on buying in players). Portsmouth do not, and probably will not for very many years, exist at at level where that is affordable.

If you look at Swansea, for an example, when they had a Category One academy it was costing them 6-7 million a year to run. Dropping down to Category Two meant costs would reduce to around 2 million.

You can still compete in the regional U23 competitions at Cat 2, but not in Premier League 2. You may, if fortunate, cover your costs or maybe make a couple of million either by saving in transfers or in sales at that level.

Perhaps at some point in the future, when everything else that will make more money or is better value has been undertaken, there would come a time when the club should consider this. But we are quite a long way from that.

Is competing in regional u23 competitions ‘pointless’ and do they represent ‘far inferior opposition’?

RE: The Academy - mikey393 - 17-06-2024

(17-06-2024, 02:47 PM)teeftwo Wrote: Category 1 costs somewhere in the region of 3 million pounds a year to fund at a minimum, the richer clubs spend a lot more than that. There are no freely available figures I could find that show how much each academy receives from the Premier League and FA.

Thanks for clarifying Tee. Cat 2 is fine for Pompey for next season & that was my argument forget Cat 1 we can't afford.

Regional U/23 comps is ideal & makes real sense to me.

We are just embarking on our gradual climb to the top.

If we can break even to start with over the next 2-3 years that's fine with me.

Brick by Brick remember all.

RE: The Academy - teeftwo - 17-06-2024

Mikey, there are so many better things to spend money on right now. The squad for a start. It will take years to create an Academy and get it the point of making money. Entirely the wrong focus.

It's far more important right now to build a competitive squad and stabilise in the Championship. Going gung ho creating an academy from scratch right now is about as far from brick by brick as you could get.

RE: The Academy - Cunninglinguist - 18-06-2024

(17-06-2024, 08:19 PM)mikey393 Wrote:

Thanks for clarifying Tee. Cat 2 is fine for Pompey for next season & that was my argument forget Cat 1 we can't afford.

You said we should progress to CAT 1. Have you changed your mind now?

What was your argument?

RE: The Academy - firqdays - 18-06-2024

I believe that, witnessing our recent record of very sound, player identification in the transfer market, Isley's suggestion of picking up cast off 18 yr olds seems a very worthwhile strategy - a good fit, and a potential winner for Pompey !

And, go back again to Chelsea fc , how many of their 6 yr old protégé's make it through ? - and how many that end up cast off could be identified ?

RE: The Academy - Hammie - 18-06-2024

(18-06-2024, 08:10 AM)firqdays Wrote: I believe that, witnessing our recent record of very sound, player identification in the transfer market, Isley's suggestion of picking up cast off 18 yr olds seems a very worthwhile strategy - a good fit, and a potential winner for Pompey !

And, go back again to Chelsea fc , how many of their 6 yr old protégé's make it through ? - and how many that end up cast off could  be identified ?

and even be from this area given their level of recruitment here for years.

RE: The Academy - mikey393 - 18-06-2024

(18-06-2024, 04:37 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(17-06-2024, 08:19 PM)mikey393 Wrote:

You said we should progress to CAT 1. Have you changed your mind now?

What was your argument?
Cunni, I think you'll find I said go for Cat 2 first then try for Cat 1. But to be fair I didn't know the costs for each stage. Tee clarified this for me. If & when we get back to the Premier League go for Cat 1. The Palace model looks a good one to try to eventually replicate. Their big advantage is being in a densely populated area. But we can spread the net over a larger area.

RE: The Academy - teeftwo - 19-06-2024

A good example (when we can afford it) for the level we find ourselves at is Bristol City (as per this article  Bristol City: How Championship club became a factory for homegrown talent - BBC Sport).

Now although producing talent for the first team the teams performance is firmly mid table over the past few years so make of that what you will.

RE: The Academy - mikey393 - 21-06-2024

(19-06-2024, 07:15 AM)teeftwo Wrote: A good example (when we can afford it) for the level we find ourselves at is Bristol City (as per this article  Bristol City: How Championship club became a factory for homegrown talent - BBC Sport).

Now although producing talent for the first team the teams performance is firmly mid table over the past few years so make of that what you will.

Thanks for highlighting Tee. This is excellent & shows what can be achieved if a club works hard at it.

The club is well run & owned by Stephen Hargreaves  who runs Hargreaves Lansdown the largest IFA inthe country.

Their model has a very solid foundation whilst retaining their coaching staff.

Raising £35M from selling two of Ex Academy players is testimonial to their plan.

We're a few years behind them & at present have to buy in First Team players & need to stay in the Championship next season.

Once that's achieved there's a model we can set up & follow.