TrueBlueArmy Forums
Euro 2024 / England tournament thread - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Euro 2024 / England tournament thread (/showthread.php?tid=4307)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Ain’t got a Danny - 15-06-2024

Someone explain why the Spanish defender wasn’t shown a red after conceding the penalty. It would have been a tap in.

And why it’s ok for a defender to encroach in the box but an attacker gets penalised so a free kick is given against them.

Good game though.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Hammie - 15-06-2024

Looked like a dive to me, coached by the Vince Hilaire book of self tripping.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - DeepBlue - 15-06-2024

(15-06-2024, 05:51 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: Someone explain why the Spanish defender wasn’t shown a red after conceding the penalty. It would have been a tap in.

And why it’s ok for a defender to encroach in the box but an attacker gets penalised so a free kick is given against them.

Good game though.

Because of the new directive last season to not punish teams twice (i.e. panalty and red card). All fouls that give away penalties have only been a yellow since that directive.  

Personally I thought yellow was harsh today ... he hardly touched him, certainly not enough to bring him down so the Croatian faked a trip and went down.  A better decision would have a penalty (cos he did touch him) and a yellow for the forward for simulating the trip. 

And it's not OK for a defender to encroach .. if they do and the penalty is saved it should be retaken, but in this case the attacker's encroachment was the first offence.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - exterminator - 15-06-2024

Wow!!

Albania stun the Eye-Ties with a goal after 23 seconds !!

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - exterminator - 15-06-2024

That didn't last long Italy 2-1 up after 16 mins !

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - briefcase_wanchor - 15-06-2024

(15-06-2024, 06:42 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(15-06-2024, 05:51 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: Someone explain why the Spanish defender wasn’t shown a red after conceding the penalty. It would have been a tap in.

Good game though.

Because of the new directive last season to not punish teams twice (i.e. panalty and red card). All fouls that give away penalties have only been a yellow since that directive.  

Personally I thought yellow was harsh today ... he hardly touched him, certainly not enough to bring him down so the Croatian faked a trip and went down.  A better decision would have a penalty (cos he did touch him) and a yellow for the forward for simulating the trip. 

And it's not OK for a defender to encroach .. if they do and the penalty is saved it should be retaken, but in this case the attacker's encroachment was the first offence.

Another issue - Replays showed the keeper off his line before the penalty was struck so should have been retaken. Not sure how VAR missed that.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Jezzer - 16-06-2024

Good game though.

With the keeper already out of the equation he had the relatively easy task of rolling the ball into the empty next from 2 yards out. Yet he still chose to trip himself up and opt for missing the penalty from 12 yards with the keeper back in his goal.... work that one out.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - dsmg - 16-06-2024

He seemed to deliberately stub his toe and theatrically fall over. Then missed the pen. Karma

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - DeepBlue - 16-06-2024

(16-06-2024, 07:28 AM)Jezzer Wrote:

Good game though.

With the keeper already out of the equation he had the relatively easy task of rolling the ball into the empty next from 2 yards out. Yet he still chose to trip himself up and opt for missing the penalty from 12 yards with the keeper back in his goal.... work that one out.

The freeze frame when the kick was taken shows he had one foot still on the line. Not sure but I think that is allowed.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Hammie - 16-06-2024

Is it me, or do an awful lot of dodgy penalty awards get missed or saved, maybe I'm just hopeful that is the case?

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - TitchfieldBlue - 16-06-2024

It was a clear penalty. End of.

The tournament has been interesting so far. Germany look good, as do Spain. The usual suspects.

Can't see England winning the tournament with that defence, manager and lack of bottle in the team. 

If England won the tournament, it would be a major shock. One of the biggest ever. Even the Greeks in 2004 and Danes in 1992 had a solid defence, something England don't have. You can't win a tournament with just good attacking players.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Tufnell_Chimes - 16-06-2024

Is it possible to say Gelsenkirchen without adopting a high-pitched scouse accent - or is it just me.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - FiftyYearsOn - 16-06-2024

Tried a few times but no.. always scouse!

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Smirnoffexpress - 16-06-2024

(16-06-2024, 10:29 AM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: It was a clear penalty. End of.

The tournament has been interesting so far. Germany look good, as do Spain. The usual suspects.

Can't see England winning the tournament with that defence, manager and lack of bottle in the team. 

If England won the tournament, it would be a major shock. One of the biggest ever. Even the Greeks in 2004 and Danes in 1992 had a solid defence, something England don't have. You can't win a tournament with just good attacking players.

That’s just prompted me to put a wager on.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Hammie - 16-06-2024

Just get through as many games as possible before we have to go to pens.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - slayer - 16-06-2024

I read Gelsenkirchen in the cinema trailer man's voice because I'm very manly like he is

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - 66zoolane - 16-06-2024

(16-06-2024, 08:04 PM)slayer Wrote: I read Gelsenkirchen in the cinema trailer man's voice because I'm very manly like he is

Big Grin The cinema trailer voice works well. Just needs fast comma between Gelsen and kirchen

Has the game finished? Can I wake up now? What was that?

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - slayer - 16-06-2024

3 points clean sheet that'll do

If we want exciting tournaments there is more chance when England are out. Talk about garbage and boring.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - exterminator - 17-06-2024

Oh dear, Brussel Sprouts done by the Slovacs.

After the earlier Romanian result, should now be a good match when we are in Frankfurt on 26th for Slovacs v Romains

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - firqdays - 18-06-2024

26th Ext ?? - that's the day our fixtures come out.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - exterminator - 18-06-2024

(18-06-2024, 08:23 AM)firqdays Wrote: 26th Ext ?? - that's the day our fixtures come out.

We will be travelling to Frankfurt that morning on   the 09.30 from Berlin Hauptbahnhof which is 08.30 here. 

Wi-fi is available on all Deutsche Bahn Inter City trains - so no problem catching up with fixtures  Big Grin

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - exterminator - 19-06-2024

So later on today The Krauts v The Hungs - comfortable win for the Bosch 3-0.

Then The Sweaties v The Swiss Rolls - another defeat for The  Bagpipers I'm afraid 2-1.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Hammie - 19-06-2024

Up the jockanese