TrueBlueArmy Forums
Bolton - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Bolton (/showthread.php?tid=2832)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Bolton - BilltheCat - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 07:36 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: As a minimum, we’d have to beat Barnsley, at Oakwell. Do that and anything is possible.

Fairly certain that this was the only fixture played on that Saturday due to the widespread snow:

Barnsley 2 Portsmouth 2 9th February 1985 - YouTube

Was there a couple of years back. The game was played in driving rain, finished 0-0 and we had to leave the match early due to industrial action on the trains.

Plus ca change!

RE: Bolton - DeepBlue - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 07:24 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: For me Bolton are the side who look most vuilnerable in thay play-off group. They've played 35 games and are due a bit of a wobble. Of course its a long shot and would compare to Harry's great escape in the Premier League if we can achieve it. An average of 73 points has been required to make the top six over the past ten years but this year the bar will be set higher. If we can beat Bolton, we can beat anyone else above us and with Rafferty and Lowry back our squad is in a strong position for the run in.
 I reckon 78 points could do it. That's ten wins from the last 14 games. Improbable, but dare we dream? Only highlights how this season might have turned out if we had sacked the Cowleys earlier.

Out of interest why do you assume the bar will be set higher this year ? 

That usually happens when the teams at the bottom have very low points totals, and I'd have said this years strugglers are on average relegation points, not worse. 

73 could easily be enough .. 7 wins and 4 draws and 3 defeats would give us that.  Turn one of those draws into a win and 75 would be a pretty certain play off spot. 

I see no reason why we can't win at Cambridge, Bristol R, Accrington & MK Dons, with home wins against Port Vale, Accrington, Morecambe & Forest Green.   There's certainly no reason to give up yet.

RE: Bolton - Hammie - 01-03-2023

and Bolton are complaining about how tired they are. If they really are then we know only too well what happens when a squad gets tired as the end of season approaches. Wheras with us getting several key injured players back who have had months off.......

RE: Bolton - Hermann's_no_hermit - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 04:07 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 07:24 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: For me Bolton are the side who look most vuilnerable in thay play-off group. They've played 35 games and are due a bit of a wobble. Of course its a long shot and would compare to Harry's great escape in the Premier League if we can achieve it. An average of 73 points has been required to make the top six over the past ten years but this year the bar will be set higher. If we can beat Bolton, we can beat anyone else above us and with Rafferty and Lowry back our squad is in a strong position for the run in.
 I reckon 78 points could do it. That's ten wins from the last 14 games. Improbable, but dare we dream? Only highlights how this season might have turned out if we had sacked the Cowleys earlier.

That usually happens when the teams at the bottom have very low points totals, and I'd have said this years strugglers are on average relegation points, not worse. 

73 could easily be enough .. 7 wins and 4 draws and 3 defeats would give us that.  Turn one of those draws into a win and 75 would be a pretty certain play off spot. 

I see no reason why we can't win at Cambridge, Bristol R, Accrington & MK Dons, with home wins against Port Vale, Accrington, Morecambe & Forest Green.   There's certainly no reason to give up yet.

Likely to be a higher bar based on the fact that 6th place (Barnsley) are already on 59 points. On that basis I agree with Gerry that a minimum of 78 will be necessary - quite possibly 80.

RE: Bolton - Cunninglinguist - 01-03-2023

Better keep winning then!

RE: Bolton - SouthseaBubble - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 07:40 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote:
(01-03-2023, 04:07 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

Likely to be a higher bar based on the fact that 6th place (Barnsley) are already on 59 points. On that basis I agree with Gerry that a minimum of 78 will be necessary - quite possibly 80.

I'd agree. If all the current top 6 acquire points at 1.5 per game, which is below their present rate, they will all finish on 78 or above.  Peterborough on 8th would get 72.  I haven't considered how many games the top 8 have to play against each other (I'd guess around 3 or 4) but I think we'd probably have to average at least 2 per game to have much chance.  Can it be done?  Of course it can be, and I hope we go for it, and have fun in the attempt.  Beating Barnsley and Wednesday would be a good start.