TrueBlueArmy Forums
Today's team - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Today's team (/showthread.php?tid=1001)

Today's team - PompeyDB - 18-09-2021

Bazunu. He's great, but we may as well have David De Gea in goal for all the difference it would make. Baz plays so high up the pitch he's sometimes in front of the centre backs. He's almost the most attacking player in our squad. Not put a foot wrong this season. He deserves better. 

Brown. He's okay, nothing more. Shrug. Got booked for fighting. 

Downing. Oh my god. Why. He was taken off and midfielders played in his place, enough said. How have we sunk to this. 

Raggett. Plenty of apologists around, but this man is not a league 1 defender. To think we've been treated to Whatmough, Burgess and Clarke in recent years, now this! His only asset is that somehow, despite his ineptitude, he is not the worst centre back at pompey.

Romeo. I thought he looked half decent, and did pose some attacking threat, unlike most.

Tunnicliffe. Naylor in disguise. Doesn't really look like the championship player we were promised. He's okay, that's all.

Williams. Really can't warm to this player. What does he do exactly? Pretty anonymous. 

Curtis. If he hadn't scored (excellent finish by the way) you'd be forgiven for not realising he was on the pitch. Got booked for swearing at the linesman. Idiot.

Harness. Better than usual today, with Romeo in support, but precisely zero end product. Go on a mazy run, beat a man, then run straight into the next one and fall over. Repeat. Great stuff.

Azeez. I was expecting at least something a bit different, but he did nothing and wasn't really involved. I suppose when you have grown up with arsenal's pass and move style, our lump it long tactics take some adapting to. 

Harrison. Brings speed and athleticism, but like Marquis never had a chance and was barely involved. I don't blame our strikers for our lack of goals. They run around all match with no service at all. 

Cowley. I hadn't heard of him before he came, so didn't understand the hype and excitement. What has he done so far to demonstrate he's anything other than Jackett II? For a man who is unsackable this season no matter what, he seems to be adopting very cautious tactics. He's got a lot of work to do to impress me.

Cambridge. Predicted to finish 23rd, but fair play to them, they didn't come to sit back. Their passing was simple but fast and effective, and they play like a team. Well done to them.

RE: Today's team - ForeverPompey - 18-09-2021

Not much to argue about here. Williams is awful. Naylor and close were better.Curtis utterly anonymous other than his goal... and it was a good strike.Downing dreadful. Romeo not bad, Azeez looked out of his depth and strikers might as well not bother for all the garbage that is served up to them by Cowleys hand picked midfield. The Eisners might be wondering why he was handed money to buy Morrell and then doesn’t use him. It was utter crap today.

RE: Today's team - Rocketman - 18-09-2021

Forever, totally agree, utter garbage again today. Romeo not bad, Harness probably MOTM, the rest might as well not have bothered. Even Bazunu had an off day and should have saved both goals, not because he didn't make the saves but because he was completely in the wrong place for both of them. I think the honeymoon is just about over for the Cowleys. We didn't really lack energy today, we lacked skill but also game plan. Sick of seeing the ball constantly go across the back 10 times before it moves forward.

RE: Today's team - ForeverPompey - 18-09-2021

Indeed. I cannot believe the tripe we are watching. And as for off the pitch. Dear god.. shambles at the turnstiles and stewards giving attitude to anyone who dares linger in the wrong place. I was moved on for stopping to talk to someone on way to my seat by this bolshie steward.

RE: Today's team - Cleaver Greene - 19-09-2021

I cant get to the home games at the moment. I have to rely on the highlights.
Just sayin, that their second goal was a good strike. However, What was Hirst doing? He seemed to be not aware of the Cambridge player, and turned his back on the shot.
As a ex-defender I find this a disgrace at professional level. Grow a pair and stand up. If a goalkeeper turned his back on every shot he faced we would be calling for his head on a stick.
No excuse at any level.
As for the first goal, why was Brown not closing the winger down for the cross? Get tight and get tight quick. Make the bloke take you on, see him down the side or make him play backwards. Or give him 12 yards to put a cross in that they score from.
Like I said I only watched the highlights. Maybe Brown did that the rest of the game and went to sleep on that one.
This is league 1 after all.

RE: Today's team - ForeverPompey - 19-09-2021

True enough but Hirst might not be the right name. Can’t remember for sure who it was.

RE: Today's team - Cleaver Greene - 19-09-2021

The highlights I watched he had a 19 on his shirt and it said "Hirst".
So I assumed it was him.

RE: Today's team - Hammie - 19-09-2021

regarding Curtis and his attitude.
Watching Shane Warne he explained how if things were not going right, he would pick a fight (verbally) with a batsman. Nothing against the man just his way of getting himself in the game.
Wonder if that is what Curtis is doing?

I would imagine the entire squad is petty frustrated right now. The managers need to find a way to turn it around soon or the season is going to implode.

RE: Today's team - ForeverPompey - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 08:56 AM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: The highlights I watched he had a 19 on his shirt and it said "Hirst".
So I assumed it was him.

Fair enough! To be honest I hadn’t realised hirst was on the pitch by then... which about sums it up!

RE: Today's team - dsmg - 19-09-2021

Hirst is cack. Has he ever played well?

RE: Today's team - Hermann's_no_hermit - 19-09-2021

What about Downing's failure to get more than an inch off the ground for their first goal? Hope Robertson's injury isn't as bad as DC seems to fear. Has appeared to be the best of our new signings so far

RE: Today's team - Northstander - 19-09-2021

Robertson is indeed the best of a yet another disappointing transfer window from what I've seen. I fancied us to be mid table at best before the season started, I'll happily take mid table now

RE: Today's team - DeepBlue - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 01:01 PM)Northstander Wrote: Robertson is indeed the best of a yet another disappointing transfer window from what I've seen. I fancied us to be mid table at best before the season started, I'll happily take mid table now

I'd agree that Robertson is the best, but I think it is harsh to describe the likes of Bazunu, Freeman, Romeo, Thompson & Tunnicliffe as 'disappointing'.  All pretty good signings IMO  I'd agree that Morrell & Williams have been disappointing so far but both are decent players and should come good, and the other three premiership younsgters (Azeez, Ahadme & Hirst) probably need more time but are probably better loan squad fillers than we have had in previous years. 

We're playing poorly at the moment but plenty of reasons for optimism that it can improve because the quality of players is there, indeed it is that quality that make this spell so frustrating. Had we signed duffers it would be expected but his lot should be doing better.

RE: Today's team - Bluebob - 19-09-2021

Why is it we are 1-2 down Cambridge win a corner and we have everyone in the box defending it, why not stick at least one striker on the halfway line then this pulls at least 2 of there players back. Jackett teams were the same. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

RE: Today's team - Hammie - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 02:54 PM)Bluebob Wrote: Why is it we are 1-2 down Cambridge win a corner and we have everyone in the box defending it, why not stick at least one striker on the halfway line then this pulls at least 2 of there players back. Jackett teams were the same. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

almost all modern teams set up defensive first. We used to laugh at the Italians (for instance) all "funneling back to defend! We bought in loads of foreign coaches and managers, made the FA coaching compulsory and have take a lot of the fun out of the game.