TrueBlueArmy Forums
Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Playing with 'a six and two eights' (/showthread.php?tid=1009)

Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Pangus - 19-09-2021

So now we know what went wrong. According to Cowley in his 'post match assessment', as reported in The News the team selection didn't help as 'we played with a six and two eights'. 
What does that mean? I didn't see two players with an eight on their back. 
Answers on a postcard.
(He's surely making the game too complicated, its supposed to be a simple game)

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - DeepBlue - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 11:58 AM)Pangus Wrote: So now we know what went wrong. According to Cowley in his 'post match assessment', as reported in The News the team selection didn't help as 'we played with a six and two eights'. 
What does that mean? I didn't see two players with an eight on their back. 
Answers on a postcard.
(He's surely making the game too complicated, its supposed to be a simple game)

Cowley's assumption that the general public will understand coach speak is a dangerous one. 

I'd interpret it as a 6 being is a deep lying midfielder (Williams) and an 8 being a more forward playing midfielder (eg Tunnicliffe & Azeez). Personally I'd prefer a midfield with two 8's and one 6 than the two 6's that Jackett played.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Gerry Hatrick - 19-09-2021

It's quite simple. A six and two eights wins you nothing in this game. What we needed was a Jack and a pair of aces.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Hammie - 19-09-2021

Are the players as confused a us?
Most players are not very intelligent, keep it simple and consistent. Formation and core team.

(19-09-2021, 12:35 PM)Hammie Wrote: Are the players as confused a us?
Most players are not very intelligent, keep  it simple and consistent. Formation and core team.

Any player should be able to understand it ... I don't think that is a problem.  But he needs to keep the fans on his side and giving them an easy shot to criticise him for is dangerous unless you are winning.

But I've always been of the opinion though that what a manager says in a post match interview is better not listened to at all. or in the case of Redknapp anything he said at any time. That way you can judge them on what is important, ie how the team plays on the pitch.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - bluetagagain - 19-09-2021

He needs to
Put his feckin iPad and statistics in the bin and get back to basics. Defence , midfield and attack . 6’s and 8’s FFS.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Wightblue - 19-09-2021

I am sure ‘Arry was telling the truth when he told us fans that Pompey had secured European football and that we had won The FA Cup, poor deluded me !

(19-09-2021, 01:18 PM)Wightblue Wrote: I am sure ‘Arry was telling the truth when he told us fans that Pompey had secured European football and that we had won The FA Cup, poor deluded me !

That's what I meant by judging him by what he did on the pitch ... his achievements were outstanding and he is without doubt the most successful manager we have had in the modern era.

But he is hated in these parts because of some of the things he said, like 'I'd never go down the road' and 'this will be my last job' quite apart from his cheekie-chappy storytelling which may be entertaining but embellished the truth at the best of times. 

Ignore everything he said and judge him on results and he was brilliant for us.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - TBP - 19-09-2021

22? (A minimum length of 5 characters requires this addition.)

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - ForeverPompey - 19-09-2021

We also had a left and right balance issue so we played with a point of reference up top. Dear God it’s all cobblers.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Peter_Mellor's_Got_No_Hair - 19-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 02:36 PM)TBP Wrote: 22? (A minimum length of 5 characters requires this addition.)

The coaching manual and all of those fa coaching courses, needs to be set aside for the time being, for the sanity of the players, fans and the Cowley's alike.

Sometimes you can't see the would for the trees, and it has happened a lot sooner than i would have thought.

I suspect that most of us who went to the game, saw it on ifollow or even heard it, would probably have come to the conclusion that you wont win many games if you are limited to 1 header, a weak shot, a blocked shot and the goal.

Especially if your back four includes Raggett & Downing (and that isn't a dig at them in particularly, they are what they are).

So our wood, is how do we win. And that answer has to be to score goals.

How is up to them, but i'm thinking that the ball has to be in and around the box a lot, and there has to be enough bodies in the box to be able to compete for said ball.  Just a hunch!!!!!!

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Tomsk - 19-09-2021

My hunch is to give everyone a bit of time to sort things out and bed in before ripping everyone to shreds

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Gerry Hatrick - 20-09-2021

(19-09-2021, 06:23 PM)Tomsk Wrote: My hunch is to give everyone a bit of time to sort things out and bed in before ripping everyone to shreds

Yeah like it's only been over four years to get things right. Early days yet....

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Tomsk - 20-09-2021

Were things right 5 years ago, or 6,7,8,9 then because I seem to remember it being a shit load less right than it is now?
New manager, new squad so yes early days.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - ForeverPompey - 20-09-2021

It’s true that as far as DC goes it is still early days and wins over Plymouth and Charlton would have us all in a better frame of mind. For me the problem has been 4 years brewing and my patience is running out so I’m less tolerant of rubbish like Saturday compared to perhaps 3 years ago. I’d be very glad if he started talking plain English though as his coaching manual nonsense could be seen as masking inadequacies. Empty vessels and all that. Anyways, having calmed down from Sat let’s hope for a win tues and PUP.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - bluebollox - 20-09-2021

I'm pleased I'm not the only one confused by "Cowley Speak". I think a good dose of plain english is required. The obsession with midfielders is starting to grate a bit as well. We have another on trial now apparently. Ex fulham I think I read.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Jizbag - 20-09-2021

My patience ran out 2 years ago. If I could see a style of play emerging that was progressive and you could see what was trying to be achieved then I'd be accepting of it, but watching that shit on ifollow was like pulling teeth.

If we don't win either of the next two games then questions need to be asked imho.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Cleaver Greene - 20-09-2021

Believe it or Not, I have done the level 1 & 2 FA coaching badges. It was a few yeas ago now mind, but as far as I'm concerned Football is a simple game.
When you have the ball, move it fast and essentially forwards to one of you own players, or to one of your own players to run on to. Create as many chances as you can for your players, whether they are forwards or attacking midfielders to strike at goal. When you do not have the ball make sure you get behind the ball and press the opposition, (close them down) so that they either go backwards or make a mistake and loose possesion to you. And you then start the process all over again.
Simple innit?
Trouble is, at this level most players dont have a footbal "brain". Sure - they are fit and can run around, but mostly they switch off and the most crucial time, or they just cant see a pass, make a simple pass or see a shot is on. (See Harness winning the ball running all the way to the opposition box and failing to take the shot himself, probably panicking and passing). Ball control is another. Technically gifted players will control the ball and move it away from the opposition without too much thought. We seem to accept that good ball control is one that does not bounce off your shin and end up two yards away.
Just sayin loike, but no matter how much you coach or how good you are at coaching, you can only work with what you have and we have a league 1 squad. (That's third division in old money).
As for six and two eights, I don't know what he is on about either. Or should he say two bob? Because that what it amounted to on Saturday.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - stayinupforever - 21-09-2021

Please can we have a 1 through to 11 tonight Danny?

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - ForeverPompey - 21-09-2021

Agreed! I was looking for the squad numbers though for amusement value to see what team that would be (1-11). Might be an interesting line-up.

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Rocketman - 21-09-2021

You mean 1 through 22 (6+8+8) :-)

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - stayinupforever - 21-09-2021

(21-09-2021, 10:38 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Agreed! I was looking for the squad numbers though for amusement value to see what team that would be (1-11). Might be an interesting line-up.

1 Bazunu
2 Johnson n/a 3 Brown 4 Robertson inj 5 Mnoga n/a
6Williams 7 Ahadme 8 Tunnicliffe
9 Marquis 10 Harness 11 Curtis

RE: Playing with 'a six and two eights' - Hammie - 21-09-2021

footballs a simple game played well