TrueBlueArmy Forums
Burton - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Burton (/showthread.php?tid=1037)

Burton - Wightblue - 28-09-2021

Another chance to get our season up and running against a side with an identical record (3-3-3 =12 points) and similar goal scoring problem.

No clue as to who DC will pick but the usual suspects will feature I guess with other players being left to kick their heels as has become normal.

Norwich and Arsenal must be wondering why we bothered to take their ‘starlets’ on loan and Harrison and Jacobs now waiting for the Xmas window.

With a run of home games to come a win here will set Pompey up nicely……but a defeat ?

I’ll sit on the fence with a draw.

RE: Burton - Pangus - 28-09-2021

It will be interesting to see who we have as strikers given their poor form. We are lucky that defence/midfield have weighed in with goals lately. Will Hirst, Ahadme, Hackett~Fairchild, or Azeez get a chance? I doubt it. I expect Cowley to stick with Marquis again - he appears to have a lot of faith in him.

RE: Burton - DeepBlue - 28-09-2021

(28-09-2021, 09:08 AM)Pangus Wrote: It will be interesting to see who we have as strikers given their poor form. We are lucky that defence/midfield have weighed in with goals lately. Will Hirst, Ahadme, Hackett~Fairchild, or Azeez get a chance? I doubt it. I expect Cowley to stick with Marquis again - he appears to have a lot of faith in him.

Almost certain to be an unchanged team I would think, with the possible exception of Ogilivie replacing Williams if he is fit.

RE: Burton - bluetagagain - 28-09-2021

I would say Ogilvie is a shoe in. DC has no other left footed defenders.
I still find it amazing DC didn’t give priority to another CB and striker in the summer , especially as these positions were a priority last season.
He’s like a kid in a sweet shop when it comes to midfielders.

RE: Burton - slayer - 28-09-2021

It won't be what the fans want, but as aqmager Cowley absolutely must pick Marquis for the next game.

The goals aren't there and confidence is low, but he got an assist last week and he took up the positions last week.

Each week his performances have improved. Yes the goals are missing and yes there have been some howlers but each game has been a step in the right direction.

Kenny would be a coont and drop him now.

If the manager shows faith now, he can turn the player around. Abandon him now and the dressing room will suffer.

RE: Burton - exgaffer - 28-09-2021

(28-09-2021, 11:03 AM)scumslayer Wrote: It won't be what the fans want, but as aqmager Cowley absolutely must pick Marquis for the next game.

The goals aren't there and confidence is low, but he got an assist last week and he took up the positions last week.

Each week his performances have improved. Yes the goals are missing and yes there have been some howlers but each game has been a step in the right direction.

Kenny would be a coont and drop him now.

If the manager shows faith now, he can turn the player around. Abandon him now and the dressing room will suffer.

‘Turn the player around’.

Sorry Slayer but how many games does he need to be ‘turned around’ ffs? It’s all very well ‘taking up the positions’, but what good is that if you can’t convert simple chances?

I hope he proves me wrong, I really do, but I won’t be holding my breath.

RE: Burton - slayer - 28-09-2021

The difference this season is he is staying up top rather than dropping back or being dragged out wide. The coont is finally on the right part of the pitch and is attacking the goal

(28-09-2021, 11:27 AM)scumslayer Wrote: The difference this season is he is staying up top rather than dropping back or being dragged out wide. The coont is finally on the right part of the pitch and is attacking the goal

We shall see Slayer, I hope you are right.

RE: Burton - firqdays - 28-09-2021

Concerning John M it would seem that Cowley has little alternative options. Ahadme flattered to deceive pre-season and Harrison et al have not taken their chance when selected - so it has to be John ..... if only on/for his (goal-scoring) record.
As an aside would you anticipate Spuds dropping Harry KANE in the next game ?

RE: Burton - dsmg - 28-09-2021

Harrison's started only twice this season I believe, once scoring a hat trick (not that he instills great confidence but can hardly be accused of not taking his chance).

(28-09-2021, 12:48 PM)firqdays Wrote: Concerning John M it would seem that Cowley has little alternative options. Ahadme flattered to deceive pre-season and Harrison et al have not taken their chance when selected - so it has to be John ..... if only on/for his (goal-scoring) record.
As an aside would you anticipate Spuds dropping Harry KANE in the next game ?

Kane? You are jesting surely.

How you could mention him in the same breath as Marquis is a mystery.

He would have taken those two chances at Charlton blindfolded  Smile .

RE: Burton - Pedalo_menders - 28-09-2021

Wow, looks like a thread where everyone is (almost) in agreement!

Marquis has to play because what is the alternative? He's the best of a bad bunch and eventually, one day, the ball will ricochet off his shin and into the net. Danny has picked his horse (donkey) and has to stick with him as you set up all your training around this player. It would be a waste to undo that and start again with Harrison.

He has to play through his barren patch, its just a shame this patch has lasted 2 months and counting.

RE: Burton - Tomsk - 28-09-2021

Kane missed a sitter against Arsenal that Marquis would had have tucked away blindfolded  Smile

Banjo boy Marquis will score a hat trick tonight hopefully and shut everybody up, and then come on here tomorrow and tell us we're all coonts.

(28-09-2021, 03:32 PM)Tomsk Wrote: Kane missed a sitter against Arsenal that Marquis would had have tucked away blindfolded  Smile

Banjo boy Marquis will score a hat trick tonight hopefully and shut everybody up, and then come on here tomorrow and tell us we're all coonts.

Well bearing in mind Marquis seems incapable of tucking anything away blindfolded or not, I find that difficult to believe Tomsk.

However, I would welcome the scenario you describe  Smile .

RE: Burton - Pedalo_menders - 28-09-2021

Wonder what the odds of a 2-2 draw would be? Must be worth a punt

RE: Burton - firqdays - 28-09-2021

You will understand 'Gaffer I was making a comparison of JM and Kanes topical poor scoring records per club - not by individual skill. It just seems bitter that as a club we have enjoyed our share of brilliant strikers over the years... David the Kemp; Mark Hateley, (Derek SHOWERS - reactions !! ...ha ha) ..... Alan Biley , Jermaine... and currently ?
We can only hope that we unearth another league one rough diamond/ youth team player to invigorate new hope in the striking department!