TrueBlueArmy Forums
"The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ (/showthread.php?tid=1066)

"The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - foxleyblue - 04-10-2021

good analysis from DC.......

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2021/october/cowley-we-coped-with-the-conditions/

This quote made me smile  Big Grin

"It would've taken a very brave referee to have called that off - I'm not sure he'd have got out of Fratton park alive

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - DeepBlue - 04-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 10:36 AM)foxleyblue Wrote: good analysis from DC.......

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2021/october/cowley-we-coped-with-the-conditions/

This quote made me smile  Big Grin

"It would've taken a very brave referee to have called that off - I'm not sure he'd have got out of Fratton park alive

I liked the 'we were OK after we gave Morrell some armbands' comment.

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - TBP - 04-10-2021

I think the pitch should have been person of the match. It should have been cutting up like nobody's business. As it was, there were no safety issues, so the referee could keep going. The roll of the ball was neither here nor there, the players are professionals, they should be able to adjust for the run of the ball. The semi-artificial surface is a big step forward.

(04-10-2021, 01:42 PM)TBP Wrote: I think the pitch should have been person of the match. It should have been cutting up like nobody's business. As it was, there were no safety issues, so the referee could keep going. The roll of the ball was neither here nor there, the players are professionals, they should be able to adjust for the run of the ball. The semi-artificial surface is a big step forward.

The roll of the ball is important. It is one of the criteria for which a referee can call a game off.  Had it been 0-0 or even 1-0 I'm sure he would have called it off,  but I expect he got so fed up at having Sunderland in his ears about it that he  was determined to finish it. 

But if he really said to Johnson that the ball was rolling OK so he was playing on, then he was out of order really. He should have just said it was safe to continue.

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - firqdays - 04-10-2021

But still nowhere near as bad as the Leicester City game.

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - bluetagagain - 04-10-2021

He could’ve called it off anytime after 60 mins and the result would’ve stood

(04-10-2021, 02:26 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: He could’ve called it off anytime after 60 mins and the result would’ve stood

No it wouldn't.

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - foxleyblue - 04-10-2021

I remember the terrible state of some pitches back in the 60's during the winter.
They don't know they're born today Big Grin

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - Ain’t got a Danny - 04-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 03:39 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 02:26 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: He could’ve called it off anytime after 60 mins and the result would’ve stood

No it wouldn't.

In England outcome is at absolute discretion of the English FA.

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - bluetagagain - 04-10-2021

So who decides at what time the result still stands, surely there must be some sort of conformity. I always thought it was 70 mins but the lad beside me googled it and it said 60. So who makes the result decision?

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - Hammie - 04-10-2021

amazing how that pitch has appeared even though the owners never spend any money
The ghost of Dougie Reid must have been busy.

(04-10-2021, 05:46 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote:

No it wouldn't.

The FA have no authority here...its all about the EFL rules...and they have discretion to decide on any game. But never had a game  as short as 60 mins abandoned for weather not had to be replayed.

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - BilltheCat - 04-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 06:57 PM)Hammie Wrote: amazing how that pitch has appeared even though the owners never spend any money

I thought the pitch was relayed soon after the Trust took over. The people responsible made a botched job of it and it had to be redone.

Not sure it has been touched since, but I'm probably wrong.

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - BilltheCat - 04-10-2021

I'm wrong!

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/latest-pompey-news/mark-catlin-new-portsmouth-pitch-will-bring-us-line-premier-league-1314466

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - Hammie - 04-10-2021

yep it was one of the first things they paid for.

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - oi oi saveloy - 05-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 05:56 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: So who decides at what time the result still stands, surely there must be some sort of conformity. I always thought it was 70 mins but the lad beside me googled it and it said 60. So who makes the result decision?

Deep

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - Ain’t got a Danny - 05-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 07:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 05:46 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote:

No it wouldn't.

The FA have no authority here...its all about the EFL rules...and they have discretion to decide on any game. But never had a game  as short as 60 mins abandoned for weather not had to be replayed.

Football-stadiums.co.U.K. Website.

‘Each country has its own rules and regulations about such things. In Spain, for example, a match that is already partway through isn’t abandoned, it is merely postponed to a later date. This means that if a game is halted after 68 minutes with one team 3-0 up then it will be resumed at a later date with the remaining 22 minutes played out.

Things are different in England, however. It is essentially at the discretion of the FA what happens if a game is abandoned after a period of it has been played, as this extract from the Football League rules suggests:

”…any League Match which from any cause whatever falls short of 90 (ninety) minutes’ duration may be ordered to count as a completed fixture or be replayed in full or in part on whatever terms and conditions the Board shall in their absolute discretion determine and shall be played in compliance with these Regulations and the Football Association Rules respectively and under the Laws of the Game as approved by the International Football Association Board”.’

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - bluetagagain - 05-10-2021

So no fecker willing to take responsibility, so we’ll just stick with this clear as mud, grey statement.

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - Pangus - 05-10-2021

Looking back on games that have been abandoned in the past its always been when the conditions are 'farcical' e.g. the players can't get the ball to move, there are literally puddles all over much of the pitch etc. That famous Wycombe match comes to mind. I never felt that last Saturday's conditions reached the farcical stage . To my mind we never reached that stage last Saturday.

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - Pompey_in_Derby - 05-10-2021

The reason why the Football League rules are so vague about dealing with an abandoned match is because there are so many varied circumstances that can cause a match to be abandoned.

A waterlogged pitch is just one example - could be a frozen pitch, fog, a serious injury to a player, crowd trouble or one side reduced to less than 7 players. If one particular club is deemed to be at fault (or cannot control their fans) then their opponents may be given a walkover win - this happened when Sheff United went down to 6 players against West Brom or when Blackpool fans invaded the pitch to protest against the Oystons.

I remember Newcastle fans invaded the pitch at home to Forest in the 70s yet instead of awarding the tie to Forest, the FA decided to replay the match at a neutral ground.

I've been to 3 abandoned games:

Pompey away at Le Havre abandoned at half time following umpteen pitch invasions

Pompey v Wycombe

Notts Country v Wimbledon in the FA Cup when fog reduced visibility to about 30 yards. A Wimbledon player - forget his name - had played something like 200 games for them, never scored and hit a screamer in that game only for it to be annulled from the record books.

Going back to the 1960s there was that infamous match in the FA Cup when Denis Law scored 6 against Luton before a late abandonment. Somehow Luton managed to win the rearranged game!  

Last season Accrington v Sunderland was abandoned in the final few minutes following a downpour and had to be replayed.

Thought Saturday was very wet but have been to several games where conditions were worse and the game continued for 90 minutes.

Pompey v Leicester was by far the worst
Barnsley v Pompey snow
Yeovil v Pompey fog
Pompey v Birmingham rain
Pompey v Coventry rain
Luton v Pompey rain/sleet/snow - remember we were 1-0 down after about 2 minutes and we were all chanting 'call it off', banged in a couple of quick goals and went on to win 4-1 by which time the home fans were chanting 'call it off'!

RE: "The ground staff are the ‘men of the match’ - foxleyblue - 06-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 09:27 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: I'm wrong!

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/latest-pompey-news/mark-catlin-new-portsmouth-pitch-will-bring-us-line-premier-league-1314466

Was this work actually carried out then?
If so, perhaps that was on the ref's mind. Rolleyes