TrueBlueArmy Forums
A Big January loaded with opportunity - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: A Big January loaded with opportunity (/showthread.php?tid=107)

A Big January loaded with opportunity - Wightblue - 12-01-2021

A chance to put a bit of daylight between ourselves and our rivals in January:
A Fleetwood, H Wimbledon, H Hull, H Lincoln, A Charlton

13 points would be a real marker (15 fabulous), the one where I would take a draw is away at Charlton who have become something of a bogey side recently.  Coming out with 8 points wouldn’t be a disaster but anything less would put a question over an automatic spot.

A fit Curtis would be a bonus and give options, and a couple of decent reinforcements, perhaps the missing pieces in the run-in jigsaw. If the defence stands as firm as it has recently (4 clean sheets in a row and only 2 league goals in our last 6 league games) and someone can score the necessary goals we could lay the foundation for an automatic place.

Of course, we all remember topping the table a couple of seasons ago and then blowing it but hopefully lessons will have been learned, our dealings in the transfer and loan market will be an indicator.

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Pangus - 12-01-2021

I would be very surprised to gain 15 points from this run, more like 9 or 10. Fleetwood are always difficult as we found out earlier at home and I would be pleased with a draw there. Hull are a very good side, although we recently beat them up there, and again i can see just a draw. Changing the subject I think we must play Whatmough and Raggett together throughout. I worry about one of them getting injured and we have to bring in Raismussen or even Bolton or Downing.

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Cressers - 13-01-2021

Curtis has tested positive for covid.

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - mikey393 - 13-01-2021

10 points is the very maximum I can see. We'll definitely lose at Charlton I believe.

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Northstandgeorge - 17-01-2021

(13-01-2021, 08:59 PM)mikey393 Wrote: 10 points is the very maximum I can see. We'll definitely lose at Charlton I believe.

Only 7 to go then

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - BigSmokeBlue - 18-01-2021

Clearly the key games are the 6 pointers against our promotion rivals. If we can beat Lincoln and Hull, draw against Charlton, then that would be a tremendous return. If we lose any of them, then it makes finishing in the top two that much harder. Beating the teams around us has been somewhat our Achilles heel in recent seasons. However, we appear to have overcome that hurdle this season after beating Hull, Lincoln, Peterborough, Sunderland and Ipswich already. Let’s hope we keep this trend going!

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Pedalo_menders - 18-01-2021

Apologies im a little late to the party on this one. My prediction is:

H Wimbledon - Win
H Hull - Draw
H Lincoln - Win
A Charlton - Lose

7 points + 3 from Fleetwood = 10

That keeps the 2 points per game target alive and also beyond a tricky set of fixtures. Im feeling the most optimistic ive felt all season!  Big Grin

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Pedalo_menders - 20-01-2021

2 games down and 6 points in the bag, then.

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - bluetagagain - 20-01-2021

Hull - draw or lose
Lincoln-win
Charlton win or draw

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Pedalo_menders - 25-01-2021

3 games in: W W L - 6 Points

2 more massive games on the horizon. A draw & a win would get us to 10 points across the 5 games.

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - bluetagagain - 25-01-2021

Lincoln - 2-0 Pompey
Charlton- 1-1

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Northstander - 26-01-2021

(18-01-2021, 03:44 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Apologies im a little late to the party on this one. My prediction is:

H Wimbledon - Win
H Hull - Draw
H Lincoln - Win
A Charlton - Lose

7 points + 3 from Fleetwood = 10

That keeps the 2 points per game target alive and also beyond a tricky set of fixtures. Im feeling the most optimistic ive felt all season!  Big Grin

Oh dear

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Pedalo_menders - 26-01-2021

Yeh, not good. Seem to be bottling these important games now...

(26-01-2021, 09:21 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Yeh, not good. Seem to be bottling these important games now...

Its similar to the last 2 seasons under Jackett. it always goes pear shaped in January. I have never felt confident he is the manager to get us promoted and have zero confidence now.

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - TBP - 26-01-2021

How on earth did he get a contract extension?

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - dsmg - 26-01-2021

Not quite true. We got 10 points out of 12 last season

(26-01-2021, 09:37 PM)TBP Wrote: How on earth did he get a contract extension?

Goodness knows how

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - TBP - 27-01-2021

(26-01-2021, 11:58 PM)Northstander Wrote:
(26-01-2021, 09:37 PM)TBP Wrote: How on earth did he get a contract extension?

Goodness knows how

It certainly seemed to happen under the radar.

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Pedalo_menders - 28-01-2021

Wasnt it around when the Welsh FA were sniffing round? A sensible enough decision at the time when they wanted to keep him and were preaching longevity.

Lots of water under the bridge since then. So i understand the decision when they made it.

Kenny is such an enigma because he obviously knows how to win games (when 'he decided' to go 442) But prefers to be ultra conservative and play 451 at every opportunity. (Dont get me started on Coventry).

He has a great eye for an attacking player but a complete blind spot for defensive players.

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Wightblue - 28-01-2021

I’m not sure about his eye for an attacking player Pedalo, Marquis and Harrison have hardly set the Solent alight.

RE: A Big January loaded with opportunity - Pedalo_menders - 03-02-2021

So all in all, 9 points from those 5 tricky games. Not a disaster at all.

A nice set of fresh sheets for and lets hammer  an in form Plymouth.